Just started 66 barracuda- No Drive, No Reverse

-

sprue

Reaction score
Hey guys, I bought a 66 Barracuda a while back and have been mostly concerned with getting the engine running. Today I decided to see if it would drive around the parking lot so I put it into gear and it didn't budge. The previous owner installed a shift kit (it was originally a steering column shift) It will go into reverse and neutral and drive but it wont move and then when I put it back into park it will grind a little bit. It also has no kickdown linkage. How should I proceed here? All of my experience with with manual trans motorcycles.

I think what I'm going to do first is watch the B&M installation videos so I can see if it's been installed correctly.

he may have missed a ball or 2 or installed the wrong plate between the VB and the case as there are a few provided for various years.

Also make sure shifter linkage is adjusted properly may be trying to select two different shift positions at once.

Did you check the basics like fluid level? Not to be smart.

All good questions. I added 3 qts of fluid, though I did this in park and have now come to understand its should be done while in neutral.

If it grinds going back into park then the output shaft is turning, check to see if drive shaft is turning in drive or reverse, could have a bad rear differential or axle.
Lon

If it grinds going back into park then the output shaft is turning, check to see if drive shaft is turning in drive or reverse, could have a bad rear differential or axle.
Lon
Previous owner said the rear differential was welded together.

Previous owner said the rear differential was welded together.
If rear Was welded ,probably has blown spiders in center section. What size diff is in it, does it have a rear cover? Pull cover and see what's up

If rear Was welded ,probably has blown spiders in center section. What size diff is in it, does it have a rear cover? Pull cover and see what's up
I got up today and checked the fluid with the engine running, added another quart and looked under the car with the trans in neutral and saw that the shaft was spinning but the wheels were on the ground so that's not good. Gonna pull the cover off after work.

Well at least you know!!!

When I was young and stupid winter of 67--68 before I went into the Navy, I had a 57 Chev with weld-a-lock in snow with nearly bald tires. "It was interesting" making like a dirt tracker around corners!!!

Gentlemen I believe I may have found the problem
20180429_145612.jpg
20180429_145702.jpg

Well that’s a good thing. You’re only missing half of the equation. WOW.

Yep, well that explains why there was a ring gear in the box of extra parts that came with the car. I hope it's the right size :D

To me that’s part of the fun with cars. Digging in and learning. Enjoy. There are times it gets irritating but you’ll be amazed at what you find.

-
Back