Just thought I would share some pics of my Newport

-

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
Well I know it's not my dart but I finally got some wheels I like on my Newport.
DCP_3754.jpg
When I first got the car.

DCP_3843.JPG
After removing the vinyl top and painting the roof white

100_0213.jpg
Removed the wheel covers because they didn't fit on one of the wheels I had on the car after needing to change because of a little roast8)
062307 005.jpg
Pic Taken Tonight, unfortunately it's dark so I will have to take more tomorrow
062307 004.jpg
another one
0403101619a.jpg
Crappy cell phone pic of the wheels, I painted them kinda like Super Coupe wheels, I have a set of 5 '83 cop car wheels (15x7) that I had blasted then I DP'ed and then painted, and then mounted/balanced tires on. They are 215 70 15.

I am still trying to figure out what center caps to run.

Next I plan on painting the top a light silver metallic.
Also on the list is a disk brake swap and 440 t bars, and rebuilding the front end and the leafs, and swapping in a sure grip. (I have it all just gotta do it)

DCP_3754.jpg

DCP_3843.JPG

100_0213.jpg

062307 005.jpg

062307 004.jpg

0403101619a.jpg

Very good choice of wheels, understated and gives the car authority. Good choice on the roof too....vinyl roofs breed rust but the contrasting paint highlights that cool roofline. I am envious, love the c-bodies, I really miss my '67 Fury.

Cool, now get some chrome lug nuts!!!!!!!!!

Ross, I like the choice of wheels. What caps are you running with them?

Ben, I am currently looking for either a set of '70,'71 rally centers or a set of class II rally centers, unless someone else has a better idea?

Keith, Yep I agree, I just need to swap to RHT first, I plan on doing that soon.

And goldfish- yes I absolutely hate vinyl tops for that very reason.

It looks way better! I agree, it need some chrome nuts and some chrome rings.

I saw the first pic and couldn't figure out why you put that ugly vinyl top back on my car!

Next time you come over you can dig through my box-o-lugnuts . There should be enough chrome ones in there if you want. Nikki is also talking about maybe getting the 66 painted so you might wanna take a look at that. Nothing fancy just throwing some bondo at it and making it look better with some single stage.

Is that one pic of the port when you took it to the tri-cities? I'm ganna guess that you pulled over in the hills after you turn off I-90 and just before the hills into Yakima.

It looks way better! I agree, it need some chrome nuts and some chrome rings.

I saw the first pic and couldn't figure out why you put that ugly vinyl top back on my car!

Next time you come over you can dig through my box-o-lugnuts . There should be enough chrome ones in there if you want. Nikki is also talking about maybe getting the 66 painted so you might wanna take a look at that. Nothing fancy just throwing some bondo at it and making it look better with some single stage.

Groovy
yha I need to come see the new house still. Maybe Friday I can swing by for a bit?

Thanks guys, I have had the wheels for a few years and I finally did something with them.

I still need centers and lugs but first I gotta find some canters and change to RHT on the drivers side.

Next big thing to do to the car is paint the top a light silver metallic and fix the rear window rust. I will also paint the tops of the 1/4s (the original FF1) because of having to do a little welding around where the window is, and since I will have the window out I may as well replace the head liner at that time.... The list goes on!

Nice. I am driving a 65 Newport until I finish my Dart. The C-bodies look heavier than they are, ~4000 lb, lighter than our minivan.

You can actually get LH thread lug nuts. I got them for my Dart, though 7/16"D instead of the 1/2"D you need. A guy specializes in them on ebay. But might be better swapping to RH for the long term, so tire shops don't spin your studs trying to them off. Even after making the desk kid write in big letters "LH THREADS" on the shop order, a Goodyear monkey spun one on my 69 Dart and didn't tell me. I found out later when trying to remove the tire on the side of the road.

If yours is like my 65, the studs are swaged to secure the front drums. There is a special tool to cut the swage, or you could cut them flush and drill out (pain). BTW, many cars used LH threads, especially foreign. It wasn't just Chrysler following a strange theory about loosening nuts.

Nice. I am driving a 65 Newport until I finish my Dart. The C-bodies look heavier than they are, ~4000 lb, lighter than our minivan.

You can actually get LH thread lug nuts. I got them for my Dart, though 7/16"D instead of the 1/2"D you need. A guy specializes in them on ebay. But might be better swapping to RH for the long term, so tire shops don't spin your studs trying to them off. Even after making the desk kid write in big letters "LH THREADS" on the shop order, a Goodyear monkey spun one on my 69 Dart and didn't tell me. I found out later when trying to remove the tire on the side of the road.

If yours is like my 65, the studs are swaged to secure the front drums. There is a special tool to cut the swage, or you could cut them flush and drill out (pain). BTW, many cars used LH threads, especially foreign. It wasn't just Chrysler following a strange theory about loosening nuts.

Yep, I lucky have another RH drum that I can put on, I am however going to be swapping to disks soon and have a set up off a '73 (I believe, since '70 was the last year of LHT) Newport. On the back I am going to be swapping in a SG so I will have to have the axles out and I will just put some RHT lugs in there at that time.
The nice thing about having my own tire machine is I don't have to worry about some monkey doing that! Sorry to hear you have to find out what had happened at the worst possible time.

Funny thing is too the lugs are labeled with an "LH" on the end of each one.

Looks great I have not took a ride in a nice Newport in a long time.
I wish I still had one to cruse in.
VERY NIZE =P~=P~res1vw21

Thanks guys, sorry I didn't get a chance to snap some pics today, been very busy, not to mention my truck got keyed so I have had a few other things on my mind.

Update on removing the swaged-on studs. I removed the hub from an 11x3 drum on a '68 Satellite at PickN'Pull recently. The drum was ruined. I beat the studs real hard w/ a hammer. They appeared to be swaged, but the crimps sheared off. It didn't appear to damage the drum (didn't care). I have heard there is a special cutting tool, but never saw one. An old brake guy claimed to have one. Still, if I needed to re-use a drum I would cut and drill the studs. BTW, I removed the whole right side brakes - backing plate, cylinder, hub, shoes, drum but the counter guy totaled it >$50 so I balked and left it. Was that dumb? Are 11x3 brakes rare? I have 2 spare new drums already.

Thanks guys, sorry I didn't get a chance to snap some pics today, been very busy, not to mention my truck got keyed so I have had a few other things on my mind.
You didn,t mention your truck being keyed?In the chat.Sorry to hear your bad luck Ross.Boy you sure got your hands full with your fleet of vehicles and the new job to boot.Keep up the good work on all of them!:cheers:

-
Back