K Frame Question?

-

Peter

barracudalover
Reaction score
Was cleaning my K frame up and the welds around the motor mounts / steering mount are pitiful! Were they often that poor from the plant or has my K frame had work done? Will get pics up soon.

They were that way from the Factory. I re-welded and reinforced my K before Powder coating it, I saw a video of how much flex the steering box area had it was an unbelievable amount.

Attachments

• duster%20051.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 245
  • duster%20052.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 235
  • duster%20055.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 244
  • duster%20058.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 242
They pretty much threw those puppies together back in the day, even the 340 "washered" K frames, which are supposedly strengthened and better cared for are pitiful! Do yourself a service and re weld all those areas!

Yeah, the welds are pretty crappy. Here is a pic of my k member that we went over the worst of the welds and redid them. We didn't do the seams or add any strengthening plates, but I think we helped it quite a bit.

ThanksgivingMedium_zps8761d20d.jpg

Sorry I couldn't figure out the pics. I appreciate everyones input. I was looking on ebay for a new k-frame cause I was worried mine was junk and the one on there looked about like mine. Not much chance the same person is running around the country doing crappy weld jobs. So that is a bit of a relief! Thanks again and when I figure out how to post some pics I will get a few up of my 69 Fastback!

I think they had the novice welders doing these welds, thicker steel is easier to learn on. Welding was NOT a MOPAR strength! MT

Sorry I couldn't figure out the pics. I appreciate everyones input. I was looking on ebay for a new k-frame cause I was worried mine was junk and the one on there looked about like mine. Not much chance the same person is running around the country doing crappy weld jobs. So that is a bit of a relief! Thanks again and when I figure out how to post some pics I will get a few up of my 69 Fastback!

Please do!!! :)

-
Back