K-Frame Swap

-

chlngr1970

Reaction score
Is there, somewhere our in the ether, a step by step for swapping the K-Frame on my Dart? I'm going from a /6 68 to a V8 75, including the disc brakes. I've never pulled a K-Frame before, so I'm a little nervous doing it :dontknow:

j

engine already out??????jack up and support properly, remove tires..undue torsion bar tension under lower control arm...remove spring clip at the back of torsion bar and pull torsion bar back 2ft or so...remove upper ball joint nuts and seperate, undue calipers or brake lines, remove front metal piece from lower rad support to K member...remove steering column....remove 4 bolts that hold K member to front frame rails....in and lower on out...did i miss anything guys or gals..

I wouldn't undo the upper ball joint nuts as he needs to swap the upper arms if they are currently the stock units.

Take the upper a arm bolts out and pull them still connected to the spindles.

get the new mopar muscle the one with the pure vision hammer on the cover they swap the kframe out of that 68 barracuda and put in a cap tubular one lots of pics of the tear down

its a pretty easy job. i know i'll forget something here so someone fill in the missing parts..

how i would do it. (i'm pulling everything at once) its actually pretty easy. just look at it close and you will see what needs to be done.

1) remove upper shock bolts and motor mount bolts. support motor if still in the car.

2)unload and remove torsion bars. i actually left them in the car until i lowered the k-frame some then pulled everything forward off the torsion bars. just can't lower the k-fram too much before doing it because they will bind all up.

3)remove upper control arms from frame. (leave connected to the spindle) undo the brake lines.

4) pull the steering column

5) jack under the k-frame and remove the 4 bolts holding it and lower it slowly.

alterK018.jpg

alterK028.jpg

alterK030.jpg

alterK032.jpg

alterK037.jpg

You can do it. With what the guys have shown ya here get a buddy and bail off into it. I'm suprised there are no memebers around ya that would be glad to assist. I hour will make a big dent in it......i mean if you cut back on the MGD..
Small Block

This is great info guys, thanks!

The engine was gone long before I got the car. The only thing I think I will be doing differently, is leaving the steering column attached to the steering box, if the new K-Member has a power steering box attached. I'm sticking with manual steering. I'm also thinking this is a great time to get all the new front end parts put on, ball joints, bushings etc.

j

sorry to drag up an old thread but i will be tackling this job in the next week or so

i have power steering on my 67 dart GT and the 76 Dart Swinger 318 k-frame i will be swapping also has power steering. do i need to swap anythng in the steering column? if so is this very difficult?

sorry to drag up an old thread but i will be tackling this job in the next week or so

i have power steering on my 67 dart GT and the 76 Dart Swinger 318 k-frame i will be swapping also has power steering. do i need to swap anythng in the steering column? if so is this very difficult?

Steering column parts should match up fine.

In one pic, Joe shows a board on top of a jack holding the K frame. I take a board and turn it in line with the jack, then slide the k-frame on top of it. You put the board under the K and the center link and balance the K. Trying to put it just under the K, the K will want to fall off as it's heavy to the rear.

Bringing it back from the dead. Although I didn't see anything mentioned about loosening the control arm bolt to save the bushing.
Great info thanks to all.

Last edited:
-
Back