K&N FILTER INQUIERY

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
Ok..knowing That Fram Oil Filters Are Cheap Crap, I Have Been Using Fram Oil Filters On My Duster, Formula S Cuda, O6 Hemi Ram, And My Parents Dodges. Is This Filter Really Any Better At Anti Drainback? Like I Said B4, I Run 20w50 In My Duster With One Of These Filters And I Have Valvetrain Noise For Two Seconds With No Pressure For Two Seconds When I Start It In The Morning. Then After, The Pressure Is Great. Are K&n's Really That Good Or Are They Hurting Me? Thanks.

I don't know about K&N's, but for the last 20 + years, I have never had a problem with standard frams. Never a tick or tap.

If you ever cut open a Fram filter, you would never buy another one. That might be the reason they sale for less than $2.00

OK, I shall.
Paper right? What other monster will arive? <g>

I like this article. It tells whats really in the diffent brand filters. You will be suprised I'm sure. He cuts them open to see what you really get for your money.
Oil Filters

Second the Wix..or CQ or NAPA golds..they are all wix made. Frams used to be great. They have changed a lot thru the years. I will skip the oil change before I run a fram now. (ok, perhaps a little misleading..I HATE oil changes, and almost never do them on my own cars...lol My wife pays the dealership, and I change mine when the filter gets real rusty...so I "skip" a LOT)

Wix also....I had a /6 in my dart B4 the 360, and with a fram it took 15 seconds to build pressure after she sat a day or so. With the anti-drainback valve in the Napa/Wix filter, pressure was up in 2-3 seconds. Frams are okay for other peoples cars, just not mine.

Wix here also,great filters.Also used fram for many years,never had or noticed a problem with them.Never cut one open neither.But I bet when you cut into any of them they are pretty nasty after 3 to 4 thousand miles.I have on occasion used K&N oil filters.I for sure use K&N air filters on all my vehicles.

I will use the K&N air filters but not their oil filters....and I'll run with an old used oil filter before I'd put a new fram on my motor......they are garbage. I run Napa Gold (WIX) oil filters on the car and Durange and a Fleet Guard on the Cummins. Wanna talk about filters.......Cummins has a list of approved filter for use on their engines.....son't use on on the list and you can kiss theior warranty good buy. They have done excessive testing on which filters hold up to the oil pressure......Fleetguard, AC Delco, Purolator, Motorcraft and Mopar are the only companies on the list.......

Dusterb318 said:
I will use the K&N air filters but not their oil filters....and I'll run with an old used oil filter before I'd put a new fram on my motor......they are garbage. I run Napa Gold (WIX) oil filters on the car and Durange and a Fleet Guard on the Cummins. Wanna talk about filters.......Cummins has a list of approved filter for use on their engines.....son't use on on the list and you can kiss theior warranty good buy. They have done excessive testing on which filters hold up to the oil pressure......Fleetguard, AC Delco, Purolator, Motorcraft and Mopar are the only companies on the list.......
I was told by the Dodge dealership that I would void the warranty, per Cummins, on my 2003 Cummins powered 1-ton if I used the NAPA or WIX filters. I had used these on my previos 2 diesels, 1993 & 1995. I have been buying my filters from the dealership since. I use the NAPA or WIX on the wifes mini-van & my Dart Sport. No problems to report.

wix filters rock they are much better made than the fram and ever since i have switched from fram to wix i have noticed my oil stays cleaner between changes than it used to. i work at oreilly auto parts and have ask every one who knows any thing about filters an they always say that wix filters not just oil but fuel and air filters are one of the best

Actually, Mopar oil filters ARE Fram oil filters according to that article. I'm sure Mopar is only on the list because they are in Dodge trucks.

I have that article saved, and it's a bit subjective, but VERY useful information. I use Amsoil filters ONLY myself (dealer on the side), but I used the info in the article for deciding what to buy when Amsoil filters are unavailable. Lucky for me, Amsoil warehouses also offer Wix filters when Amsoil filters are unavailable (usually import canister filter applications).

It is my understanding that K&N filters are more for outright flow for high RPM racing applications than for high quality filtering. For this reason alone I won't run them.

I heard the same thing about the fram made filters on Dodges.
I agree with everone else. Only use Wix, NAPA or Car Quest on
all of mine. If you look inside those brands you can see the
spring in it to help hold the oil pressure up. The cheap ones
just don't have em.

1qwikScamp said:
wix filters rock they are much better made than the fram and ever since i have switched from fram to wix i have noticed my oil stays cleaner between changes than it used to. i work at oreilly auto parts and have ask every one who knows any thing about filters an they always say that wix filters not just oil but fuel and air filters are one of the best
Now theres a quote that could make me a believer and change products.

superdart said:
It is my understanding that K&N filters are more for outright flow for high RPM racing applications than for high quality filtering. For this reason alone I won't run them.

cant tell about how good they filter but the K&N filter is made of real thick metal compared to the cheaper filters, used to use purolator filters but got scared of filters with thin metal after two big fires in my enginecompartment becuase two cheap purolatorfilters in a row splited right whére they are pressed/crimped...... now i use only K&N because that whas the only filters i could find that has thicker metalcases and is short enough to fit an Abody without that 90degree adapterplate...

The range of performance across the spectrum of ALL full flow oil filters is so small as to be almost insignificant in practical application. Some are made better, have different types of ADBV valves and offer varying ranges of nominal filtration values in the 10-30Um range. For normal (yeah, define "normal") street driving at common oil change intervals (3k-7k miles), it makes absolutely no difference what oil filter you use.

Some factors to consider in selecting a filter for other applications might include higher pressures in racing engines and better flow characteristics for same. Then things like the K&N and other race-ready type products might make sense. Otherwise, fuggedaboudit. You're not gonna bust even a FRAM at 80psi when they're rated at 200psi burst pressure.

If you're worried about filtration, look for lower nominal micron ratings. But remember better filtering ususally also means less flow rate. Even the best rated full flow filters will not filter out down far enough to get all the abrasives out (5-6Um). If you are really worried about filtration and want to actually clean the oil in your engine enough to nearly eliminate harmful oil particulate contamination, go with a real bypass filter. You can see mine in the lower right-hand corner of the avatar.

I read a couple of those independant oil filter postings. I like the fact they are not done by anybody "official". What I do see, is things like materials and construction differences by cutting them apart, indeed just by holding them. A good filter will be heavier. I was raised on Fram (my Dad). I stopped using them when I got a job with Car Quest in the early 90s. Since then, I've run Wix of one sort or another, unless I'm breaking in a cam or starting a domant engine..I take them off wiithin minutes of running and they get tossed. On aside note, a mentor/friend of mine ran Stock Eliminator (had at one point 5 national records for NHRA) with a hydraulic cam 351 Cleveland. Because of rules (and the grey areas they leave) he ran 130-140psi oil pressure. The only filters that wouldnt explode (meaning pop the can between the end cap and can) were factory Motocraft. I have no idea who makes them...But they wouldnt pop. All others he said he tried popped. He didnt list the names.

-
Back