Kelsey Hayes caliper bolts

-

HemiMark

Reaction score
Is there any interest in "NEW" Kelsey Hayes caliper mounting bolts? You can't find them used or NOS so let me know what you think....

Chime in......

Im pretty sure you can get them from rock Auto. com check them out!!

HemiMark
Are you talking about the 65-72 Kelsey Hayes Disc Brakes?
It would be neat if someone would step up to the plate and get them reproduced, but it would be such a small, limited market in trying to re-sell them for a profit.

I looked into getting those bolts reproduced locally, and the tool shop gave me a quote of $10.50 each, with a minimum order of 100 bolts.
That would be $1050.00 for bolts, and there would be no way that i could sell a bolt for less than $20.00, by the time you would need to pay for advertising them, for sale.

Just not an business venture for the small guy to undertake.

If your a machinist-toolmaker, and can get it done, or know of a shop, more power to you.

I would be interested, for sure, so at least keep me informed.
Jim V.

Attachments

• Caliper Bolts (Small).jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 889
I've seen time and time again a request here ;someone looking for these very same bolt's! So yes I'd say you've struck upon an item that is in demand. I' have a set of KH brakes,one of the bolt's is a make-do with lot's of stacked washer's to make it all work so you would sell me a set or just one if I could buy it that way. Im surprised however that no-one has found a close match in a line like papco etc.

There are lot's of fastener's available for other older musclecar's and truck's. Im sure one of those companies could easily reproduce what we need.

I've seen time and time again a request here ;someone looking for these very same bolt's! So yes I'd say you've struck upon an item that is in demand. I' have a set of KH brakes,one of the bolt's is a make-do with lot's of stacked washer's to make it all work so you would sell me a set or just one if I could buy it that way. Im surprised however that no-one has found a close match in a line like papco etc.

There are lot's of fastener's available for other older musclecar's and truck's. Im sure one of those companies could easily reproduce what we need.

I think I'm going to have them repoped. The first price I got was expensive. I would have had to sell a set or four (4) for $75.00 ! Waiting on another price that I hope would get the price down to about 50 to 60 for a set of 4.

Wow it's gonna cost that much? Seem's a bit on the high side. For that matter,I'll replace all my stock bolt's in my brake setup with new non stock appearing hardware and sell of the stock stuff if those bolt's are worth that much!

Wow it's gonna cost that much? Seem's a bit on the high side. For that matter,I'll replace all my stock bolt's in my brake setup with new non stock appearing hardware and sell of the stock stuff if those bolt's are worth that much!

Jim posted a picture of the hens tooth! Lol hard to find a bolt with that length
Shank, with a tapered point. I got tired of trying. LOL

I wonder if someone had approched a bolt manufacturer such as ARP? Just a thought....

I think I'm going to have them repoped. The first price I got was expensive. I would have had to sell a set or four (4) for $75.00 ! Waiting on another price that I hope would get the price down to about 50 to 60 for a set of 4.

HemiMark
Those bolts are almost the same thing as what the Ford Mustangs use on their 4 piston, Kelsey Hayes calipers.
The Fords use 7/16 x 14 threads on their bolts that mount to the spindle, and the Mopars use fine thread 7/16 x 20 bolts to mount to the spindle.
If you want to persue it, find the manufacturer(s) that make the bolts for the Fords, and see if they can change the machining specifications to 7/16 x 20 for the thread pitch.
Then you have yourself a Mopar bolt.
Lots easier than having them machined from scratch.
I'm not interested in doing any of research, in looking into repoping bolts anymore.
Jim V.

Fastenal sells grade-8 7/16-20 1.75" bolts. They don't have the tapered point, but wouldn't it be easy to use a lathe or file to create the tip? They work without any modifications, but are a little harder to install.

Fastenal sells grade-8 7/16-20 1.75" bolts. They don't have the tapered point, but wouldn't it be easy to use a lathe or file to create the tip? They work without any modifications, but are a little harder to install.

Those bolts are more than the undercut on the tip of the bolt.
They are a unique "Shoulder Bolt" with the shank of the bolt a different diameter other than the thread pitch diameter of the bolt.
Without the factory bolt(s) you are forced into using hardware store, grade 8 bolts, that are NOT the same as the MOPAR or Ford ones.

I cant begin without all the specs or a sample bolt to measure up.

Hey Mark, did you make any traction with repop'ing these bolts?

-AlV

I would be interested, and can supply a blueprint if necessary.

Please share the Blue print of the Fastener and I'll knock on a few doors.
Doesn't hurt to see what it would cost to reproduce.

Thanks

AlV

Wow, somebody brought a 2 1/2 year old posting back from the dead, to the top of the page again.

I got involved with replies back then, and i guess i have to put my two cents back into the fire again.

If anyone ever is able to get these shoulder bolts machined, has anyone ever given any thought what your gonna do as to the quality of the bolt, and the grade of steel to be used for the initial machining?

Another cost to this manufacturing process is getting the bolts hardened to a Grade 8 specification, or close Rockwell hardness specification number.

There is a reason your suspension used hardened bolts on it, instead of just some cheap hardware store bolt out of the bin.

When i looked into getting bolts made, another thing that turned me off to the process is the cost, in getting bolts hardened, for such a small manufacturing run, and finding a company that would want to tackle that process.

The machine shop that quoted me, told me there was probaby one company in Northern California that he knew of that would even think about doing the hardening.
I think the company was down in Oakland, California, down the highway from me.

So guys you may think it's easy to get things done in the manufacturing world, but if your not already in the trade and industry, it's not something for the little guy to take on.

Then your going to have your investment money tide up for 5 or 6 years before your ever going to see any kind of profit on your up front money.

Such a small market, it ain't worth it, even though i would like to give encouragement to see it happen, i fell it never will.
Jim V.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer. I used send parts out for quote all the time. There are at least 2 ways to go. The first is to start from scratch, like you were trying. The second is to start with a shoulder bolt or a larger diameter bolt and machine to the KH dimensions. There are lots of really sharp machinists out there.

I hear your points and to be honest I don't have any expectations at this moment other than to put out some feelers and get feedback. While it's unlikely, Maybe things have changed a little in the last 2.5 years. Let's just see what comes back. I don't want to get to far ahead and don't have any real plans other than research at this time.

It's a challenge lol I'm just dumb and naive enough to give it a go. :icon_smi: J/K

In the end our conclusion may be the same but one never knows. If it goes nowhere at least we have some updated info.

I've started a very High level dialogue with a couple of outfits in the NY/NJ area. I've provided basic detail (7/16-20 thread x 13/4" long) ) and sent photos.

I've been asked to get as much detail together about the bolt so they could estimate sample and production costs.

Since I don't have an actual bolt the only information I have is found in the archives of this forum.

What I need to start are dimensions (or the actual Bolts if I find a set for my car).

Specifications:
I basically need every dimension of the Bolt.

A. Hex head thickness top to bottom
I. Hex head width edge to edge (socket size)
B. Shoulder Length from bottom of hex head to the threads
J. Diameter of the Shoulder
C. Length of the threads from the end of the shoulder to the start of the bevel tip
D. Length of the tip from the end of the threads to the tip of the bolt.
E. Diameter of the Tip
F. Full length from head to tip

I can't move forward with out the details. Once I have the bolt specifications details I can continue the discussion and bring up additional points. Please let me know if you stuff to add to the talking points.

* Minimum counts
* Material grade
* Manufacturing Treatments
* Time
* cost

If you have done research previously and want to share that's cool. I'll take any help I can get. Leads, contacts whatever.

Thanks

AlV

-
Back