Kickdown Linkage

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Early A body kickdown linkage?

Can anyone show me a picture of your sb 4bbl kickdown linkage?

Would a linkage from a later A body work with an early A?

I bought a 66 barracuda over the weekend and it doesn't have a kcikdown hooked up. Now I need to find one to adapt to it.

THANKS!

I used the Lokar cable for 12 years now no problems.

Here's what we did.

CIMG4766.jpg

CIMG4764.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. It looks like an after-market cable set-up would be the easy way to go. Do they come with everything needed to hook it up? Will this one work?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-KD-2904HT/

Does anyone know if a set-up from a later A body would work in an early A body?

67gtx- Where did you get that bracket on the carb? Would I need something similar for my edelbrock carb?

Yeah Nick- I got myself a little driver 66 Barracuda over the weekend. I'll post up some pics over on BBD when I get some time. I was tired of not having a a drivable old mopar.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the diagram! That looks like a lot of moving parts. Any idea where I can get that set-up? Maybe the cable is the way to go.

Why the hell hasn't this trans blown up yet. The guy was driving without a kickdown hooked up for as long as he had the car...

go to Jegs.com and order the kick down cable and the mounting bracket installation takes a little while but it is worth not messing with the linkage!!!!!!!

Why the hell hasn't this trans blown up yet. The guy was driving without a kickdown hooked up for as long as he had the car...

I believe you can push the lever all the way back where the linkage connects to on the trans, and manually upshift and it won't burn the trans up.

To the early A body guys w/ a cable kickdown set-up: Did you have clearance issues with the bracket that connects to the trans? It seems awfully tight down there. I just can't see how it is able to fit. Does anyone have any pictures of the connection at the trans w/ bracket??

I appreciate the help guys.

I have a 65 cuda just rebuilt with 318 and holley 4bbl. My linkage is from old 4bbl 273 and kickdown does not function properly. I still am trying to understand whay it is important. I had trans built so I could potentially race car and shift through gears manually. When driving it runs fine shifts normally through the three gears. The only thing it fails to do is downshift when pushing gas pedal hard. I can manually downshift and run back up to get extra passing power. I am still looking for someone to explain why downshift is important and what it actually does? Please enlighten me! On mine both cables are in place but I do not seem to understand how to adjust this to make downshift work properly? I had a leaking trans line that I got fixed at local trans shop, they told me the same thing about downshift not working properly and it could burn up trans. Again I do not understand this concept? I had a 66 cuda with similar set up and never had trans problems with no downshifting, that car was raced heavily and ran low 14's never had a trans problem, drove that car all the time on street also. Please explain to me how this works and why? My current cuda does downshift when stopping, as at a light it is back into first gear and shifts up as I go when run in D?

The way it was explained to me, the trans needs a signal from the throttle pressure linkage (kickdown) in order to build line pressure to balance out the signal from the governor. This determines where the shift points are.

You want to make sure at WOT the kickdown lever on the trans is all the way back and at idle, it is not all the way forward, but just back enough to start pushing on the spring in the trans (you should be able to 'feel' where that point is with everything disconnected). If both of these parameters are met, the kickdown will function properly. If not, you can redrill a hole on the trans lever closer or further from the pivot in order to match the 'sweep' of the lever at the carb. Hope this makes sense.

Do you happen to have a picture of the connection at the trans? Did you have clearance issues with the bracket that connects to the trans? It seems awfully tight down there. I just can't see how it is able to fit.

I posted a photo of the stock setup a few months ago.....you should be able to run a search for it......

Trans lever cloder? I am still a little confused. I will be looking at my car from underside this weekend as I finally have access to lift. What confuses me was if it is just a simple adjustment why trans shop could not do it, or did not when they had it as I asked them to check it out. They just told me it wasnt functioning properly. I havr the 65 service manual and it only talks about adjusting cable from the top? It seems to be correct when compared to picture in service manual at carbside? I am smart enough to adjust carb linkage but beyond that I am somewhat clueless. I seems the two cables must counterbalace themselves to adjust properly? I see both move freely at carb end, but do not know what to look for at other end? I have always had trans shop deal with such things, it makes me feel stupid to some degree as I cannot picture corrrect set up in my mind or see one on paper. Service manual does not show this?

Trans lever cloder? I am still a little confused. I will be looking at my car from underside this weekend as I finally have access to lift. What confuses me was if it is just a simple adjustment why trans shop could not do it, or did not when they had it as I asked them to check it out. They just told me it wasnt functioning properly. I havr the 65 service manual and it only talks about adjusting cable from the top? It seems to be correct when compared to picture in service manual at carbside? I am smart enough to adjust carb linkage but beyond that I am somewhat clueless. I seems the two cables must counterbalace themselves to adjust properly? I see both move freely at carb end, but do not know what to look for at other end? I have always had trans shop deal with such things, it makes me feel stupid to some degree as I cannot picture corrrect set up in my mind or see one on paper. Service manual does not show this?

Sorry, by "cloder," I meant "closer."

Sorry, but I don't know enough about this stuff to be of any help to you.

I posted a photo of the stock setup a few months ago.....you should be able to run a search for it......

Yeah, I found that picture of the stock set-up. That problem is finding a place to buy the stock set-up. I'm starting from scratch. I'm just curious how people have solved this problem. It seems like a lot of folks are using aftermarket cables, but after crawling under the car yesterday, I can't see how there is enough room for the cable to be properly mounted behind the trans.

Does anyone here use a later model A body 3-piece set-up on their early A-body?

I talked to an old Chrysler mecanic and he told me that with full throttle the kickdown should be 3/8" from bottom on the transmission! That have helped me alot.

To the early A body guys w/ a cable kickdown set-up: Did you have clearance issues with the bracket that connects to the trans? It seems awfully tight down there. I just can't see how it is able to fit. Does anyone have any pictures of the connection at the trans w/ bracket??

I appreciate the help guys.

Anyone???

Does anyone here use a later model A body 3-piece set-up on their early A-body?

I have the lokar setup in mine for about 8 years now - it is tight and i installed the bracket with the tranny on the floor

it has worked fine for years

Thanks sir. I'll probably end up going that route.

Does anyone use a later model mechanical 3-piece kickdown set-up on their early A?

Yeah, the car already has a lokar throttle cable.

Does anyone use a later model mechanical 3-piece kickdown set-up on their early A? Can anyone tell me why it wouldn't work?

I used the stock mechanical linkage on mine. The only mod I made was to lengthen the top rod that attaches to the carb linkage. I can post pics later if anybody wants.

-
Back