Kindle????

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Wife likes to read. She has severl boxes of books that she has read over the years. SHe has been talking about getting a Kindle. ANybody know anything about them? What is the deal with the books?? Just download them direct to it? Can you save them onto your computer??

Wife likes to read. She has severl boxes of books that she has read over the years. SHe has been talking about getting a Kindle. ANybody know anything about them? What is the deal with the books?? Just download them direct to it? Can you save them onto your computer??

I gave one to the wife for christmas loves it and reads alot, actually a KOBO canadian version, downloads books off of Chapters. I think Kindle uses Amazon but like the Kobo it will download of a local library where they got a couple hundred books free. Good for 3 weeks then they fall off automatically.

Go on the Amazon web site on read up on them and check with a library that's close to you and see what they got, you may only have to pay for a library card.

I bought my wife one for Christmas - she loves it. I ordered her a few books to get her started from Amazon when I set it up for her. Like demon said - you can find free books on the web if you look for them.
You can either download them to your computer then upload to the kindle, or when you buy from Amazon it will let you try to send the book to the kindle via wireless connection if you're within signal. You have to plug in the Serial Number of the Kindle when you register it, thats how Amazon knows to send your purchase to YOUR kindle if you do the transfer wirelessly.

I was worried she wouldnt like it because its not shaped/doesnt feel like a book, but she bought a folding cover for it and says its comfortable to hold.

I also got one for Christmas... it would never connect to my wifi at home... I am sort of a "computer" guy on the side and I ended up taking it back... do a search on google once for Kindle won't connect to wifi LOL.... I wouldn't buy one.

Everyone I know that owns a Kindle has been very happy with it. My ex liked to read and wanted one, but I downloaded the Windows Reader for her notebook pc instead. She liked using it better than the Kindle she tried, and the software and ebooks were free downloads so I was was pretty happy with it too. I've heard Microsoft is dropping the reader later this year, August I think, but several third-party pc based readers have been released and are available online. Just another option to think about.

Both my sisters and my wife have the Kindle Fire. They love them!

Here is a comparison between the Kindle Fire and Ipad 2. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000719771&tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=10721265967&ref=pd_sl_8iij4jfqtt_b"]Amazon.com Message[/ame]

Also, the Ipad 3 is supposed to be launched in March!

Good luck with the decision!

Do a search and find the one that fits her needs better:some are easier to see in the bright sun light and some are easier to see at night with a back light but some ppl dont like the back light because it makes the lettering look different and its not as easy to see as a book.some look just like a book and reads as a book also.I just cant remember which ones did what but the book readers are more like a book than a mutliuse computer with less eye strain.

Kindle or Ipad....140.00 versus 500.00. Two different animals. The Kindle is great..you can read outdoors in the sun(try that with a pad) and downloading from Amazon is effortless.
Here in Los Angeles I think the libraries offer kindle downloads for free. Also most classic literature is public domain and can be downloaded for free from Amazon

My wife got a Kindle 3g for christmas and loves it. I like hers so much I bought a Fire last night instead of an Ipad. The fire is easy to hold and read at night with no external lighting. Kindle has a Prime membership and you can get 1 book a month for free Plus music and movie sharing also and it's relatively cheap compared to netflix and what not.

I bought the misses a "Le Pan", $200 10 inch Chi-pad, that runs Froyo. She never lets it out of her sight. Build quality is excellent, has thousands of Android apps, she loves it. At least 1/2 price of a Ipad and the same resolution screen. Does Flash too so Youtube and all that stuff. She loves word with friends and reading her Emails. has 2 readers on it and does lots of stuff. Check what an Ipad can do nowdays, 500 is a chunk of change, but all apples are...If you get a generic android, make sure it has capacitive touch screen , not a stylus.

i bought the ol lady a kindle fire for christmas. she loves it. she s always on it and leavin me alone. she plays games on it with her friends and downloads books to it for her and my son. warning tho. you ll have more free time if you get her one. lol.

Gotta echo what's been said so far, my wife loves her kindle. She's always been a reader but even more so now. She trades books with several friends that also have them.

I don't think anyone actually said it, but you will need a wireless router if you don't already have one.

Just an FYI in case.

Bought my wife a Kindle Fire for Xmas. She sits there all night with it on facebook and reading..doesn't bother me for anything all night....best 200 bucks I ever spent.

Bought my wife a nook color, loves it. Gets alot of the android aps. She now gets all of her magazines on it automaticly. And as said here you can find free books if you look.

I have an iPad2 and my wife has a Kindle. She reads books, and I surf the web. She never touches my iPad and I never touch her Kindle. Keeps the piece that way!! She hardly puts it down in the evenings.

Personally, I just go to the library. Books are free and I usually check out 2 or 3 at a time. On for the truck to read when I am eating lunch or waiting at Dr.'s or wherever and then the others for my nightly reading :) I'd rather spend the $150 then cost of downloading books on my Demon :burnout:

Mt household has one of each, Kindle, iPad, Nook.

Wife likes the nook, it is easy and has color - in my opinion comparible to the Kindle.

I used a Kindle for a long time. Good battery life, easy to download media, but does not have the extra features the of the iPad.

On my iPad I bought a low budget, low ram version - wifi only. I have wifi in my house, so I connected it. Low cost. I can take it on the road, surf FABO,FBBO, FEBO and all the other sites with wifi. I downloaded Kindle app, and can have the same features as my Kindle. It is easy on the road and a good companion. Drawback, sucks battery life faster than Kindle, reading in direct sunlight.

Other cool thing with iPad, you can synch what you are reading on your kindle with other devices, you can download apps such as Zinio to read other purchased media such as Mopar Magazine, Dragizne, or plug it in for Diagnostics on your Mopars (if you have that feature with your ride).

Buy the iPad, you will be much happier - You dont need the super charged version, look on your local Craigslist, usually find someone trying to off load one. Be wise though

I got the wife one she thinks its the best thing since sliced bead.and I can get on my computer more at nite.:cheers:...........Artie

I read a lot. Usually 2-3 books a month. I was told I should try the Kindle but I like having the book in my paws.

Do you think books will go away eventually? Will I be like the guy who insisted on riding a horse after the car was invented? LOL

I heard that once you download the book you only have so long to read it. Is that true?

-
Back