knock off air gap intake question

-

68cuda78

Reaction score
Has anyone tried out the knock off air gap intake. Just wondering how well it bolted on and the quality. Thanks

lots of mixed reviews. some guys say they are great others say theres a lot of core shift

Mine is sitting on a shelf waiting for aluminum prices to get a little higher.

If it bolts on well and seals I would imagine same results. Probably worth the chance for the price

Even the Edelbrock stuff has bad core shift. Still a crap shoot with Eddy stuff. I have used a few of the knock offs, didnt have any issues and the engines made the power I was expecting.

These pics are from an Eddy RPM AG. The intake gasket was taped tot he heads and matched up perfect to the ports on the head. Then I put the intake on with the bolts so everything lined up. I then marked the gasket to the intake with a marker so I could place the gasket onto the intake in the exact position it was in when bolted to the heads when I took the intake back off for gasket matching. It was so far off, it could not be gasket matched. The center rib on the front ports was not even close. I went thru about 5-6 intakes from Eddy before I got one that I could gasket match. And they(Edelbrock) were not very helpful.

Attachments

• Eddy intake2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 508
  • Eddy intake1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 503
Used 2 procomps both worked well, will be using another on my magnum headed 360. The 1 edelbrock I had looked like the one pictured above.
here is a pic of my procomp. not perfect, but still enough material to gasket match.
iu1y.jpg

My procomp was pretty much perfect as far as ports to gaskets and mating to the engine but it looks just a tad bit off for some reason seems to run fine sitting here tho ill find out more when I drive it.

my procomp works great, only problem i see is i have mopar performance valve covers and they hit the intake, still working that issue out, as far as drivabilty works great!!!!!!

MP CAST aluminum valve cover need the lip ground off where they go across the intake port no matter what intake they are on...

Those MP covers hit damn near every type of aftermarket intake.
On the Crosswind - pass. Been there. POS.

My bolt holes on the aftermaker were so far off the machinest said I could buy a eddy for less than the price to fix that chinese junk, I bought a rpm air gap polished and no issues at all.

I had one when I first put my 5.2 together, wound up giving it to my brother because I thought something was wrong with it, but turned out to be head gaskets. Otherwise, the biggest thing I saw wrong with mine was less than perfect port measurements. They aligned well using the same method Mike did above, and there was more flash than I cared for, but nothing a couple kisses with a dremel or die grinder couldn't fix. Otherwise, there was nothing perceivably "wrong" with it.

I did wind up going with the Edelbrock though and have had no issues.

What is good material to put in a intake to correct this issue. I have a old Weiand intake that is so porous that it needs filling then sanding smooth. The outside of the intake is even worse. I thought about tig welding in the pores but I do not have a torch small enough to reach inside the casting. It's a junk yard find.

Michael

No, I don't want the negative feedback.

I've 3 cars with eddy air gaps and had no problems with gasket alignment.

what a load of BS if I ever heard it :wack:
tell you what, I will buy it for scrap at best price possible,
no need for you to wait for prices to go up, I have cash NOW,

what a load of BS if I ever heard it :wack:

Whatever

I bought 3 eddy airgaps and never a problem. Now the crosswinds, the bolt holes needed to be egged out to fit a factory pair of J heads. After that my mysterious vacuum leak turned out to be porosity on not one but two intake runners.

My procomp seems pretty clean in the casting department. The runner is the worst of the 8, looks ok to me even though its not perfect.

zuxv.jpg

yikk.jpg

Whatever

I bought 3 eddy airgaps and never a problem. Now the crosswinds, the bolt holes needed to be egged out to fit a factory pair of J heads. After that my mysterious vacuum leak turned out to be porosity on not one but two intake runners.

never said the eddy wasn't any good, or the chinese one was any good, just that no one in there right mind would scrap a $100 intake when someone was willing to pay more, I mean if you accidentally backed over it with a dump truck and shattered it, well then yea, scrap it, but it's not the intakes fault then is it ?
so if you have one on your shelf waiting to go to the scrap yard, as you claim, post up some pics, you have two people who will buy it for more than scrap value, :coffee2:

never said the eddy wasn't any good, or the chinese one was any good, just that no one in there right mind would scrap a $100 intake when someone was willing to pay more, I mean if you accidentally backed over it with a dump truck and shattered it, well then yea, scrap it, but it's not the intakes fault then is it ?
so if you have one on your shelf waiting to go to the scrap yard, as you claim, post up some pics, you have two people who will buy it for more than scrap value, :coffee2:

When I said the one that I bought was a pile of crap I meant it was a pile of crap. I couldn't consciously sell something that isn't worth the aluminum that it's made of to another member of this forum. I'd be afraid to back over a crosswinds intake with a dump truck because it would depreciate the value of said dump trucks tires. On the plus side it would increase the value of the intake. LOL

My crosswind is awesome, better then the airgap actually because it is a better design with both bolt patterns.

It's the one concession I made to buying Cheap Chinese Trash. It fit well enough and the ports lined up as good as any others I've seen, but the waterneck and alternator bracket (Magnum) fitment was a PITA.

Worth the money, but not by much.

-
Back