Knocking noise when brakes applied

-

olddman

Reaction score
I need some help. I have a 1965 Dart GT with a Charger 273 and 904 transmission. The other day when I applied the brakes there was a knocking sound coming from the front of the car. Has been about two years ago, wheel cylinders, shoes, springs, and had drums turned. Seems like I read somewhere that this could be caused due to the brake drums not being turned correctly. If the drum has groves like a record then this would cause the knocking sound when applying the brakes.
Have not had this problem until this past week. Any ideas?

Alright, I'm gonna politely ask you, why don't you jack up the vehicle, pull the wheels & tires, and inspect the brakes, and suspension parts, and see what's going on? :dontknow:

I need some help. I have a 1965 Dart GT with a Charger 273 and 904 transmission. The other day when I applied the brakes there was a knocking sound coming from the front of the car. Has been about two years ago, wheel cylinders, shoes, springs, and had drums turned. Seems like I read somewhere that this could be caused due to the brake drums not being turned correctly. If the drum has groves like a record then this would cause the knocking sound when applying the brakes.
Have not had this problem until this past week. Any ideas?

If the drums are machined, and the final, fine cut is forgotten, the rough cut spiral can cause the shoes to be pulled away from the backing plate till the hold-down springs snap the shoe back against the plate..

Weak hold-down springs may cause the same thing.

hope it helps.. cheers

I have pulled drums and inspected the brakes. Found nothing wrong with the brake assembly. Also checked the front suspension, transmission mount, engine mounts, sway bar. Found nothing loose or worn out. Only thing I have found is the face of the drums look, feel like an old 45 record. I presume that is what is causing the problem. I guess I need to find a shop that can do a better job at turning drums which should correct the problem. Thanks for the help.

In a previous life, I've literally turned THOUSANDS of drums and rotors. A person would have to be nearly blind, deaf, and illiterate to make that serious mistake. They must have made a rough cut on the fastest feed the lathe owned.

If you can feel grooves with your finger, that is probably the trouble.

Strut rod bushings are good. Rebuilt the front end about a year and a half ago. Everything looks and feels tight. Going to look for a shop to return the drums. Learning curve is on going working on an old car. Will let you know what happens.
Thanks again for the help.

Check if the shoes have worn grooves where they sit against the backing plate. They should slide freely there. If not, might make strange noises.

Are you absolutely sure this new noise is coming from the front ? Feeling this in steering wheel ? If felt in seat, other knockers ( u joints, etc,, ) should be considered.

The strut rods ("drag struts") have a rubber bushing on the fwd end where it attaches to the K-frame. The aft end (at LCA) is metal-metal. The factory bushing is 1-piece rubber that tends to get cut by the K-frame, giving a rattle. Get the Moog "improved" design that is 2-piece. Lasts longer and much easier to install. I vaguely recall a polyurethane version. I recall that was the factory setup on my C-body.

To change it, you will need to remove the torsion bar rear clip, loosen the LCA pivot bolt and slide the LCA back enough to swing it out of the hole. You might be able to do so w/ the UCA connected (forgot).

The drums with a rough cut will try and thread the shoes either into or away from the backing plate or drum until they hit and release and start all over again. This is most likely the sound and shudder you are feeling. A good smooth final cut on the drums with proper adjustment and you should be good to go.

-
Back