LA aluminum head options

-

Lil Demon

Reaction score
Besides the Edelbrock heads, what other heads are available? I see Speedmaster and the recent introduction of ProMaxx. Can anyone share info on experiences they've had with these heads? I called ProMaxx right now and they quoted me 1090.00 for a set of 65cc bare castings.

I'm currently building a 340 and have a set of 340X heads ready to go, but the more I think about it the more I think I should pull the trigger on some aluminum heads. I just don't want to break the bank. Like many of us I am looking for a good product at a good price.

http://www.revsauto.com/mopar-chrys...m-cylinder-heads?search=MOPAR&category_id=136

4888_1_-500x500.jpg

Interested in selling your X heads if you get Aluminum?

Speed Master heads built and set up for your application by Mike at MRL who is a vendor on this site.

That's a $1005 per head?
I didn't see it listed as sold per pair

Yeah I saw them too. I was hoping someone here could shed some light on quality of these heads.

I used edelbrock/Indy ta heads
Edelbrock sends the heads to Indy semi machined
Indy relocates the rocker shafts
Opens the intake port
They come with roller rockers
Push rods
If I'm not mistaken they do a little polishing for the base price
If want look them up on Indys site

Yeah I saw them too. I was hoping someone here could shed some light on quality of these heads.

I believe MRL has built up quite a few bare castings, has portend them, ran different engines on the dyno with them in different configurations.

Here is his add, I suggest you call and talk with him about your combo. He's a super nice guy and easy to work with.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=318249&highlight=heads

There are also other reputable vendors here too that can steer you in the right direction.

From the multiple engine builders I have spoken too in both the Mopar and Ford camps on Speed Master/Pro Comp heads is buy them bare and build them with quality hardware. Some of there heads flow really well and some are just OK, like in the 460 ford world they are considered a fair street head and easier to port than stock Iron but are not much better.

I used edelbrock/Indy ta heads
Edelbrock sends the heads to Indy semi machined
Indy relocates the rocker shafts
Opens the intake port
They come with roller rockers
Push rods
If I'm not mistaken they do a little polishing for the base price
If want look them up on Indys site

I think u mean they relocate the pushrod holes

Where are you going with you engine, OP? We got the Edelbrocks for the detonation margin with our desired 10:1 SCR on pump gas, and used them stock as it was a no-brainer to get to 400 HP with the out-of-the-box flow numbers. But you may need more or less depending on where you intend to take your engine over the long term. Your present heads may be just fine, depending on what you want.

BTW....you can get the Edelbrocks for 20% off on sale, free shipping, from Autozone; pay the local sales tax though. They discount even higher % at times, up to 35%, if you are OK with a gift card. Subscribe to their site and you will get the sale notices via email. $1300-1400 for a pair complete with their valves and springs or perhaps less with the 35%/gift card deal that pops up from time to time.

I have a pair of fresh Brodix B1-BA aluminum heads, stage 3 ported by Shady Dell with 2.08 intake 1.60 exhaust. Surfaced with 60.5cc chambers, Viton seals... Flows 305.9 intake 199.3 exhaust at .600 lift. All you need is the springs that match your cam.

$2,200 plus shipping
Also have Hughes 15063 aluminum roller rockers 1.6 ratio - $450 plus shipping

Where are you going with you engine, OP? We got the Edelbrocks for the detonation margin with our desired 10:1 SCR on pump gas, and used them stock as it was a no-brainer to get to 400 HP with the out-of-the-box flow numbers. But you may need more or less depending on where you intend to take your engine over the long term. Your present heads may be just fine, depending on what you want.

BTW....you can get the Edelbrocks for 20% off on sale, free shipping, from Autozone; pay the local sales tax though. They discount even higher % at times, up to 35%, if you are OK with a gift card. Subscribe to their site and you will get the sale notices via email. $1300-1400 for a pair complete with their valves and springs or perhaps less with the 35%/gift card deal that pops up from time to time.

I also am looking into the aluminum option for the detonation margin. I was hoping to run 10.5 CR on pump gas. My goal with the 340 is a very stout "street" motor that will visit the track on occasion and hopefully run a high 11. I am using SRP 142068 piston.

I looked into the Autozone option and that seems like a good option. I am wondering if there is any performance advantage to the Magnum Edelbrocks over the RPM heads. The ports and chamber on the magnums have all the modern look but flow numbers are very similar to the rpm's. Anyone have any experience with these heads?

I have a pair of fresh Brodix B1-BA aluminum heads, stage 3 ported by Shady Dell with 2.08 intake 1.60 exhaust. Surfaced with 60.5cc chambers, Viton seals... Flows 305.9 intake 199.3 exhaust at .600 lift. All you need is the springs that match your cam.

$2,200 plus shipping
Also have Hughes 15063 aluminum roller rockers 1.6 ratio - $450 plus shipping

Thanks roadglide, that is a killer deal but unfortunately out of my budget and probably over kill for my intended use.

Well.............. We do them in house with known good parts(valves, springs, spring Cups, seals, retainers/locks, GUIDES), Good 5 angle seat/2 angle valve Valve job and hand blend, plus we fix 2 critical areas that need attention that No other shop is doing. I know this because I have had the other shops heads in here for a "check over". Not being done.

Without porting, I sell them for $1495. Porting options are stage 1($250), stage 2($450), and CNC($1000).

Complain all you want about price, but we take care of the known issues and when they leave my shop with my name on them, they are good to go!

Actually your prices are pretty reasonable given the fact you deliver what you say you deliver!:glasses7: I have seen some rides sporting your engines and boy do those things go! One being the green dart on youtube. The person filming cant even keep the car on the camera screen!! The green "Beast" is hauling the hay that quick!!:burnout:

Well.............. We do them in house with known good parts(valves, springs, spring Cups, seals, retainers/locks, GUIDES), Good 5 angle seat/2 angle valve Valve job and hand blend, plus we fix 2 critical areas that need attention that No other shop is doing. I know this because I have had the other shops heads in here for a "check over". Not being done.

Without porting, I sell them for $1495. Porting options are stage 1($250), stage 2($450), and CNC($1000).

Complain all you want about price, but we take care of the known issues and when they leave my shop with my name on them, they are good to go!

Mike, I'm not complaining at all. It just not in my budget today. I completely understand and see the value in what you do. Typically I would jump on it. At this given point it's not wise for me to dip into the budget.

....But feel free to convince meO:), what kind of gains can I see with Stage 1 porting? What heads are you quoting? RPM, Magnums?

I run 10.7 Scr on Eddies,in my 367cuber, and have been burning 87E10 since year 1999,no problems. I believe I could run more compression. Maybe lots more. And with a shorter stroke; even more.But that would require custom pistons and/or more machining.Aluminum heads suck a lot of heat out of the chambers.To help combat that, I run a 205*stat.And there is so much heat under the hood, I had to install a fresh-air system to my carb.
I think on my next engine I might go back to iron heads.

Mike, I'm not complaining at all. It just not in my budget today. I completely understand and see the value in what you do. Typically I would jump on it. At this given point it's not wise for me to dip into the budget.

....But feel free to convince meO:), what kind of gains can I see with Stage 1 porting? What heads are you quoting? RPM, Magnums?

These are the Procomp castings. They are very clean and have no core shift like most of the Eddy stuff I have seen in resent years. They are LA, not magnum. Stg 1 will bring them from the low 250's flow to the high 260's. Stg 2 to the low/mid 280's. Full CNC , low 300's.

-
Back