Labor Lawyers Advice?

-
I belong to a union, you need one with the Post Office. Don't believe me, ask inkjunkie.
Unions can be a great thing when they are ran properly and not abused. Of course it would be even better if employers would just treat people fairly and with dignity, then the need for a union would cease.

If you can find a labor lawyer to work on commission, I say file a suit. That often gets some compensation just to make it go away. Best case, she could get re-instated in a few years, with back pay, then quit. If you have to pay the lawyer, forget it. They will string you along while charging >$100/hr for dubious benefit (been there).

Be careful, if you start smearing that companies name all over the place, no one will want to hire you !!!

When interviewing, do not ever badmouth your old company, no one wants to hire a complainer.

People seem to forget that your job belongs to the person writing the paycheck. If you don't like that then be your own boss and don't work for anybody, you have that right.

Yes the situation sucks, but if you plan on litigating, plan on that being your new career or plan on changing professions.

Be careful, if you start smearing that companies name all over the place, no one will want to hire you !!!

When interviewing, do not ever badmouth your old company, no one wants to hire a complainer.

People seem to forget that your job belongs to the person writing the paycheck. If you don't like that then be your own boss and don't work for anybody, you have that right.

Yes the situation sucks, but if you plan on litigating, plan on that being your new career or plan on changing professions.

very good point

As a professional she probably already is aware of this. Maybe even seen it happen a time or two. Of course, if you can get a settlement for seven or eight figures why look for a new job.

When someone is rolling along giving 110% and for no reason some new Punk manager rips the carpet out from under them it sucks. Yes we've all seen it. Don't make it right. It's usually the bean counters causing it and at that point the company is already in trouble in a lot of cases. However the OP's wife gave a big part of her life to this company and as a person she deserved way better than what they gave her. I personally would love to see her get big compensation from them and I don't even know her.
1 Quick call to a good Lawyer would answer the question.

Hey kids,
Need some advice. My Deb got canned a week ago without warning, written or otherwise. No reason was given. She's never had a written warning. She's always had good reviews within the company and from the surveys of her customers and vendors. She wasn't even given any termination paperwork to sign. After 13 years it was just a big "C-ya".

Mind you, this isn't some podunk, part time retail job. She was the sales manager for a prominent aerospace machine shop (think 5 axis laser and water jet). She obtained and directly oversaw the biggest accounts the company had and her record with them was practically spotless. She had also made sure the company had aquired and maintained the proper certifications like the AS9100 Rev. C and NADCAP.

From our perspective, trouble began when the company was bought by a new owner who seemingly had a different view on a woman's place in the business world (or at least a middle eastern world). Her commissions were cut and she recieved a "bonus" instead. That actually equated to a pretty good wage cut. The new guys kid was interjected into the "management" as were a few other family members and friends from "church". None of these fine people had or have a working knowledge of the industry and the two of them have even been thrown out by a few clients.

So, the questions are;
Will it do any good to go to the Labor Board and what would the possible outcome be?

Should we sue this jackwad?

It is pretty likely the new crew will get things in a huge mess but that is the ways things are. I would consult an attorney to explore her legal rights. Only use an attorney that takes cases on a contingency basis. They will only get paid if you prevail. If they take the case you know that they think they will prevail and if they do loose you aren't out a bunch of attorney fees. Do some research on any attorney and find a fighter and not one just looking for a quick buck that will sell you down the river.

Hey offer her independent "consulting" services to the new group at a rate about 3X her old pay rate. :)

Yeah, we aren't really obsessing over it. It's just one of those things that kinda sticks in the craw. I grew up with the values my Grandpa taught me. You shoot straight with people. Treat them how you want to be treated. Work hard and all that. The military code of conduct I learned only reinforced those ideas.

It's a different world these days.
They may have done her a favor, it looks like these guys will run the place into the ground. She still has her reputation intact. I'm sorry to hear of her problems, best of luck to her.

Perhaps you'd do best to consult a Lawyer. Most good one's don't charge for consultation.

I belong to a union, you need one with the Post Office. Don't believe me, ask inkjunkie.
Unions can be a great thing when they are ran properly and not abused. Of course it would be even better if employers would just treat people fairly and with dignity, then the need for a union would cease.[/QUOTE

Well said they were designed to protect the employee untill they began to get greedy just like everything else [i personally wont have anything to do with them] i would go talk to an attorney just to see if there's any thing ya'll can do. I think she is better off she'll be fine good luck to ya'll sorry to hear of the lost income for now tho.

Deb wanted me to send a thank you out to ya'll. We are looking more towards a better future. We'll only take a shot at the former employer if it's worthwhile. Honestly, upon reflection, our energy could be better used elsewhere. Or, to put it another way, karma's a *****.
Or, as I like to say...
Time wounds all heels.

This is why i still believe in unions.

Was she management or labor? I'm assuming management by your comments. There are a lot of laws that protect workers, even in California. But if your management, your pretty much screwed. If the workers are union, management sometimes has rights that were fought for by union folks by virtue of "trickle down " for lack of a better term.

For those of you not in the know, Its reasons like this that unions were formed in the first place,...that is to protect workers from unfair labor practices (such as this), abuses by unscrupulous company owners,( Carnegie's, Rockafeller's, Bush's,etc,etc,) and corporate 1% ers who think that everyone is just a number and replacable.

This is where things like FMLA, OSHA, worker benefits, (i.e; affordable insurance,sick days, cast of living raises), job security and training, and labor boards came from among other things...When you become management, you forgo those rights, and have to pretty much fend for yourself...meaning you are compensated more (hypothetically), and are more able to fend for yourself,...
:wack:
Side rant
Having worked on "both sides of the fence", It's a damn travesty that Unions have let themselves be controlled by fatcat politicians and lobbyists which garner f*****g huge saleries which in turn raise union dues and costs to the consumer which is why everything union made is more expensive than It needs to be. And (unfortunatly)abuses by employess and dead wood are still protected by,(meaning everyone is protected by a steward/lawyer of sorts) by law.....and places like Wallyworld thrive, where every one is now an associate, (read management),...good luck getting benefits when your wife is sick if you are employed there...

As stated before, Karma is a *****,...hopefully that rat basturd boss will get his,.. When one door closes, another door opens,...but the hallway sucks...You'll be fine,. I made it though something similar,...Good Luck to ya...

Unions can be a great thing when they are ran properly and not abused. Of course it would be even better if employers would just treat people fairly and with dignity, then the need for a union would cease.

X2,...In a simpler and kinder world,...hell I'd live there...

Deb wanted me to send a thank you out to ya'll. We are looking more towards a better future. We'll only take a shot at the former employer if it's worthwhile. Honestly, upon reflection, our energy could be better used elsewhere. Or, to put it another way, karma's a *****.
Or, as I like to say...
Time wounds all heels.

If you do follow up on this it may save another one of their employes in the future. Just something to think about.

Nearly every wrongful termination suit I've seen has been settled out of court in some capacity. Whether its job back or severance package. Unless the company has lawyers on staff (already paid) its cheaper to settle. "beans" rule to bean counters.

As a side note, unions have their place in situations like this (I'm in one, BTW). But they also seem to cause as many problems with regards to making it nearly impossible to get rid of the problem children and encourages the tendency to get entrenched in the mentality of "it ain't in the contract", reducing flexibility of employers to react quickly and stay competitive. There has to be a middle ground.

Best of luck.

I'm in a union also and was a rep. Where I work there are some employees we wish would get canned. Management is either to lazy or afraid to start documenting and disaplining the individuals. We don't want to either carry there worthless butts nor put up with there crap. A happy medium sure would be nice.

IF you truly did represent the employee's then you would work to get them removed for the health of the company and the benefit of the other union members.

IF you truly did represent the employee's then you would work to get them removed for the health of the company and the benefit of the other union members.

Good luck with that,...As a steward you are required to defend/represent your dues paying members by federal law,...now matter how wrong they are,...kinda like a public defender,...If the company does not do proper documentation and follow up on It,...the useless employee is pretty much fireproof,..

Being a steward for 3 years is what made me go management,...and vise versa,....then I just got tired of It and just went to work...

Joke,...Ruger is making a new pistol called the "Union" model,...It don't work and you can't fire It....

Sounds like the company will not be open much longer anyway with their lack of experience so its best she move on.

I might be mistaken here, but where I work was bought up about 13 years ago. The new owners came in and had the right to terminate 10% of the workforce off the top, no questions asked. The people were white collar and offered severances. But to hell with them who fired the wife, take the unemployment, get the resume together and get a newer, BETTER job. They are the losers here, not the wife!

Good luck with that,...As a steward you are required to defend/represent your dues paying members by federal law,...now matter how wrong they are,...kinda like a public defender,...If the company does not do proper documentation and follow up on It,...the useless employee is pretty much fireproof,..

So you pretty much only represent the worthless employee's at the expense of the good employee's, this is what I suspected.

And why I don't like unions.

You cannot say you are representing the good employee's because you are forcing them to carry the dead weight of the bad ones. You should be helping the company do proper documentation and follow up on it. Other wise the mediocre employee will see what the bad employee is getting away with and become a bad employee.

You can still defend the useless, as best you can, but if he has no defense your hands are tied.

So you pretty much only represent the worthless employee's at the expense of the good employee's, this is what I suspected.

And why I don't like unions.

You cannot say you are representing the good employee's because you are forcing them to carry the dead weight of the bad ones. You should be helping the company do proper documentation and follow up on it. Other wise the mediocre employee will see what the bad employee is getting away with and become a bad employee.

You can still defend the useless, as best you can, but if he has no defense your hands are tied.

Lots true there, but thats not all you do as a steward,...how about the guy who is late cause his kid was sick, and the company wants to dock him. This is where FMLA and sick days come in,...even non union employees benefit from this,...eventually a bad employee will be ousted if you give him enough rope to hang himself,...nobody wants to be that guy.
The best employees usually get tapped for management, and if its a good company, you'll do well. But remember not all companies have there employees best interests at heart, as seen at the start of this thread...Believe It or not, some companies consider you a liability, not an asset, no matter how stellar your job performance is. In today's world, you are just a number, and if that company can get your job done 5 cents an hour cheaper by outsourcing, your history. Thats business.

Somewhere in the middle the company and the union will meet so as to keep your job secure and the company making money.

And not everybody lives to work, some of us work to live. I firmely believe that no man should be forced to work more than 40 hours to keep his head above water

And not everybody lives to work, some of us work to live. I firmely believe that no man should be forced to work more than 40 hours to keep his head above water

I can just see them taking Iwo Jima now. Sorry guys, my fourty is up, you'll just have to put that flag up yourselves.

I am sure she will be better off in the end. I have worked in and out of unions but on the ones that I was union I told the bosses that they didn't have to worry about me causing problems and if we had a problem that we couldn't work out between the two of us to "let me know and let me go" because I knew I could go down the road and satisfy someone with my work. It always worked out! No need to work for a company that you are no happy with or worry about losing job. If I was in her position I would concentrate on going with a competitor or maybe even starting something on her own if it is feasible. I went into business for myself first of 2000 and should have done it 20 yrs prior. Best of luck in whatever you decide and stay positive.Joe

So you believe that companies should be forced to pay some employees more than they are worth just because of their poor life choices or the high cost of living ?

-
Back