Large and small ball joint upper control arms

-

spudsterier

Reaction score
Does anyone know the exact difference between the big and small ball joint upper control arms?

Does anyone know the exact difference between the big and small ball joint upper control arms?
Small ball joint 6cyl cars large ball joint v8 cars, same control arm bushings. I will measure the ball joint hole when I get to the shop today!!

The pocket that the ball joint screws into has a larger diameter on '73 up upper control arms.

I was told large ball joint is 73 and up, small is 72 and down.

That is correct, but there are some small ball joint uppers in 73 with some /6 cars that had the 9" drums.

I'm not sure if this was a mid year change or what, I have found several 73 cars with 9" drums and small upper ball joints.

Ok I should have been more specific. I do know what years the came on, disc and drum car differences, and styles.
But the socket diameter is what I am in need of.

Thanks for all the fast replies.

What size socket do the small upper ball joints take?

Ok I should have been more specific. I do know what years the came on, disc and drum car differences, and styles.

The small Ball joint is 1 3/4" nut size and the large is 1 7/8", not sure about the threaded portion of the ball joints.

The 72 and older has the same ball joint on disc. and drum cars. I assume most of the 73 up cars are the same as well but as I said above, I have found some 73's with the small ball joint.

The ball joint socket is Mopar specific and a specialty tool. There are 2 sizes.

We have the sockets! Just give us a call and tell us the year and we'll get you the right one :thumblef:

Actually there are three size ball joint sockets. There is a really large one for vans and trucks.

Actually there are three size ball joint sockets. There is a really large one for vans and trucks.
True but the middle one (1-59/64) will work on both the 72 and 73 ball joint but not the hd truck,according to the manufacturer I purchased mine from anyway, but I only used it on a 74 so not sure($130 list it should do laundry too) oh and you will need a 3/4 impact to get it in as they are not actual threads so much as teeth for digging in to the arm
http://www.otctools.com/products/chrysler_ball_joint_socket_8033

There is only 2 different size ball joints for A and B-Body cars, Mopar has another size but it wasn't used on the A or B-Body, and there isn't one size socket that fits both, the socket needs to fit firm on the ball joint or it won't work properly, so you need the correct one for the job you're working on and a good quality impact to do it, a ratchet or breaker bar won't work.

You can buy almost any tool you would need to do suspension work on a Mopar through American Muscle Tools and it isn't an arm and a leg. The ball joint sockets are only $40

http://www.americanmuscle.biz/Suspension_Tools_s/1.htm

There is only 2 different size ball joints for A and B-Body cars, Mopar has another size but it wasn't used on the A or B-Body, and there isn't one size socket that fits both, the socket needs to fit firm on the ball joint or it won't work properly, so you need the correct one for the job you're working on and a good quality impact to do it, a ratchet or breaker bar won't work.

You can buy almost any tool you would need to do suspension work on a Mopar through American Muscle Tools and it isn't an arm and a leg. The ball joint sockets are only $40

http://www.americanmuscle.biz/Suspension_Tools_s/1.htm

I did mention that was merely the manufacturers claim and that I had not actually tried it, I did put the socket on to a small ball and it fit pretty snug, Id say it would still work better than a crescent wrench which I'm not sure how these guys are doing that, anything less than 115 lbs to turn the bj and you should replace the Arm. I paid $80 for mine but that's at the parts store in Canada where we pay more for everything, the list price without my account was $130

I did mention that was merely the manufacturers claim and that I had not actually tried it, I did put the socket on to a small ball and it fit pretty snug, Id say it would still work better than a crescent wrench which I'm not sure how these guys are doing that, anything less than 115 lbs to turn the bj and you should replace the Arm. I paid $80 for mine but that's at the parts store in Canada where we pay more for everything, the list price without my account was $130

I'm not sure how that works, I'd have to see one up close.

I totally agree with you on the crescent wrench deal, if you can use a crescent or any wrench, ratchet or standard breaker bar then buy a new control arm, they shouldn't come out that easy. Id be afrade of it coming apart on the road and wrecking the car.

Ok lets just myth buster it and say it's plausible but not a good idea, I mean it definitely would turn but you would not have a tight enough grip to make it proficient. I'm putting my second BBJ in right now, It takes about 3 hours for me to put it in with an impact and it's exhausting, and as far as coming out Ive had to cut both of mine out because the impact would not do it (I figured out it was reverse threaded on the first one), so if there were any slop I could see it being a real pita. but because it isn't like a normal socket at least you wouldn't slip and strip it.

-
Back