Largest rear tire size

-

djwhog

Reaction score
OK what is about the largest rear tire any you guys running on a 64 Dart or other 63-65 A body with stock height in rear?

I am mostly concerned about the height more than the width. I am pretty sure that a 225-60-15 will fit with a 4-4 1/8 back space, but I know the sticking points are a 9 and 3 o-clock.

Any body running 235-60-15s on these rides?

that's the size I plan on running with a 4.5 back space. should not be a problem. I've seen 245/60/15s on an earlt barracuda

I've taken off the wheel on my '66 Dart and slipped a 245/60/15 BFG Drag radial up there and it does fit-it's tight but does fit. You may have to play around with back spacing to make sure the 245's fit-but they can.

i have seen 245 60/15s on the rear of a 66 cuda though the guy had to have the spaceing moved on his rims. i'm not sure what it was but i will try to find out for you but it may take a bit to get a hold of him

245/60/15's on my 64 Valiant.

keystones 001.jpg

keystones 002.jpg

I have 9.00-9.50/14 M&H cheater slicks, 14X6 Cragar GT wheels on my 1966 Valiant, they are a tight fit but fit fine. I may trim the inner fender lip a little, I would bet if I hit a big bump they might rub. I also have a pair of steel mopar 15X6 rims with 255/60 15, those clear just fine! I think I could get away with a 15X6 1/2, a 15X7 may be too much with that tire size! Oh, by the way, I have super stock springs and drag shocks! :burnout:

Thanks all! Yeah I would really like 245's but I think withthe ride height and this year Dart withthe 1/4 trim it is just too tight a fit.

Man those are some nice looking wheels dart44072!

So it seems that the 235s will make it OK. I was mainly worried about the 3 & 9 posistions. On the 64 it also has that chrome front trim that mounts on the 1/4 in the lower front of the 1/4. I do not want to ditch the trim.

Also I did want the car to sit pretty level.

So I think the end result will be
205x60x15s up front on 15x6 rims
235x60x15s up front on 15x7 rims

As soon as I get the entire front end put back in I wll post some pics and also hope to have the tires mounted too.

Currently I had the steering box and pump rebuilt and every hard part in the front end for the disc conversion and all the suspenion parts powder coated. Also finished the trans mount modifacation. Man all the parts look very nice powder coated!

djwhog said:
Thanks all! Yeah I would really like 245's but I think withthe ride height and this year Dart withthe 1/4 trim it is just too tight a fit.

Man those are some nice looking wheels dart44072!

So it seems that the 235s will make it OK. I was mainly worried about the 3 & 9 posistions. On the 64 it also has that chrome front trim that mounts on the 1/4 in the lower front of the 1/4. I do not want to ditch the trim.

Also I did want the car to sit pretty level.

So I think the end result will be
205x60x15s up front on 15x6 rims
235x60x15s up front on 15x7 rims

As soon as I get the entire front end put back in I wll post some pics and also hope to have the tires mounted too.

Currently I had the steering box and pump rebuilt and every hard part in the front end for the disc conversion and all the suspenion parts powder coated. Also finished the trans mount modifacation. Man all the parts look very nice powder coated!

Few years back i had a '65 Valiant and my first wheel combination was excact those 205 in front and 235 in back.

Also the Valiant came custom made alumimun wheels made by compomotive, three-piece wheels and i put it on in a rear and maximum tire size was 275.50.15"...
Only problem was if i take two people in a back seat then tires was too big, every hole in a road and tires get to scratch...
So usually i was driving it solo or one friend along...
:toothy7:

I am running 225/60/15 bfg's on my 63 dart with american racing torque thrust's with no issues. I am not sure on the back spacing but I believe it's somewhere in the 5 inch range.

For reference, on my '65, I have 245/60 -14 on 6" aluminum slots with zero backspace. Springs are from a 340 '73 dart and the front has slant six w/air conditioning bars. No sway bars (yet!)

I only rub the rear inner-fenderwells (fender side, not the lip) in corners when the car really heels over or when hitting a large dip in the road at speed. I haven't tried it yet, but my mopar buddies tell me that I can "massage" the inner-fenderwells (fender side) to provide more clearance.

Going to 225/60-15 on 7" aluminum slots as an interum solution to the rub.

-
Back