one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread on my son-in-laws dart, Quick update
This is what he started with:
1973dodgedartMedium.jpg

He did some sanding and put it in primer:
Larrysdartinprimer001Small.jpg

The 360 really through him some curve balls. Oil pan gasket had to be replaced, it's a 92 360 and we had no idea what the pan was off of. The 92 had a rear sump when it was in a Dakota, but know has a center sump to fit in the dart. Bought one for a dart 360 but it didn't look like it was going to fit right. Took it back got one of the all rubber ones like was on it, put it on and viola it still leaked! Wound up getting the cork sides and rubber ends one lots of ATV sealer and no leaks. So now wanted to dress the motor up some...
Before:
1973dodgedartmotorMedium.jpg

And After:
dartmotor2Small.jpg

We installed his hood scoops drilled holes in the hood and put in the seals bought off of e-bay and they fit like a glove!
Put new disc brakes on the front, after the test run Larry noticed the rear tire on the left side had grooves cut in it from the fender well. Jacked it up in the back to see if something was going on. Sure enough there was! Just a little problem like when the rear end was installed someone forgot to bolt the left side leaf spring down in the back. The shackle had flipped over backwards and was beating the hell out of the bottom of the trunk. Two bolts and a pry bar problem fixed, but not before his brand new tire was cut up. Now on to the front end suspension, the guy at Les Schwab said the idler arm is shot and needs to be replaced before he can line up the front end. Ahhh old cars arn't they wonderful !!!!!
So that's where we are now, here's a pic of our darts sitting side by side. Where hoping they mate!!!! :toothy7:
twodarts005Small.jpg

More to come has the dart progresses

Hey greendart72, great color on your car. Is that F6? Do you have any pics of the wheel and tire combo on the son-in-law's car? Lookin' good! :thumbup:

:thumbup: Lookin' good. keep up the hard work! (aren't they always?)

:blob: Scamper340 the color when I had it matched at NAPA came back as a 92 VW color called cosmic green. We do have some pictures of the wheels and I'll get them posted.

Update on the dart we have it in my shop wanted to do some rebuilding on the front end so we took the fenders off. Sure made it easier to work on things!

102_0864.jpg

Pulled the upper control arms off and had new ball joints installed also put new bushing in, cleaned them up and painted em.

102_0863.jpg

Installed new shocks while we where at it. That's about as far as we got before Larry blew two disc's in his back. He had to go through about two months of Bull S**T before they decided to operate and fix it. Day after the operation the pain was gone, He has been doing everything the doc tells him to so he can make a full recovery. At 26 years old I think that is a very smart thing for him to do.
SO I've been doing some sanding and cleaning on it. We have been looking at soda blasting medium for taking the paint off. Found a place in Walla Walla Wasington called the Soda Works that seems to have a good product, so might be making a road trip over there to get some. Been trying to find a place a little closer to home that sells it but no luck so far. Doctor wants him to wait till the first of the year before he does much so guess we'll wait till then to do more.

I really like the new wheels, what kind are they? I have never seen those before.

I really like the new wheels, what kind are they? I have never seen those before.
Kinda look like American Torqlites. Read recently that American has sent all wheel manufacturing offshore to China - kinda defeats the name of 'American'.

We where busy on the dart ntill the weather turned on us. Here's a pic of my Grand Daugther sitting on whats left of the poor thing!
102_0961.jpg

All the old paint is off.

102_0959.jpg

We put new pins in the door hinges. Sprayed the whole thing in etching primer, and started on the body work. Been on hold for a couple of weeks now due to snow, rain and just crappy cold weather. Hope spring gets here soon so we can get busy again. :-D

Starting to make some progress on the dart it's painted and we just put the motor back in. It's a 360 out of a Dakota sport.

Motor 001.jpg

Motor 002.jpg

got any full body shots? whats the colour? car looks good!

Sweet lookin' car! the wheels on the son in laws car are cool! you guys do nice work!

Thanks Alleyoop, we didn't realize how much work body work was!

Thanks 70DartMike

Sure send it over 1964 hippo, heck we'll allways take a free car! LOL

You guys all have pretty good looking rides yourself!

-
Back