Last one to post in this thread wins!

-
Worked most of my career at highest 30 plus stories in downtown wpg mb on steel frame scaffolding, replacing 300 lbs blocks of limestone, (good money) 6 stories in a zoom boom basket. Not scared to be there but count on that I’m watching where my feet are going. Only ever seen one guy fall, ya you guessed it, he wasn’t watching where his feet where going. Didn’t die but busted up good, forced retirement but can still walk.

Worked most of my career at highest 30 plus stories in downtown wpg mb on steel frame scaffolding, replacing 300 lbs blocks of limestone, (good money) 6 stories in a zoom boom basket. Not scared to be there but count on that I’m watching where my feet are going. Only ever seen one guy fall, ya you guessed it, he wasn’t watching where his feet where going. Didn’t die but busted up good, forced retirement but can still walk.
No thanks I'd rather keep both feet on the ground. lol

A lot of iron workers in my family. We lost one. 30 feet. My nephew is a bad ***. 2 stories up with a garden shovel and a leaf blower. Standing on the edge of the roof cleaning my gutters. He did the whole house in about 30 minuets including the decks. Man those battery powered leaf blowers go through the batteries. I gave him 200 bucks.

3 pages today. Wow. Spent my time on a forklift and a sky lift. Had one funny with the forklift. The boss got hired by the local factory to organize their storage area. The boss hired a professional organizer to catelog all the parts, and create a computer program giving the location of the part, and the amount of inventory. My job was to use the forklift to bring in the cabinets, and put them in place, bolting them together. Then I helped bring the parts down from the old storage room, and put them in the cabinets in the new storage room. The organizer then documented where we put it. Each one of these cabinets were $13,000 a piece, minimum, depending on the number of drawers.

While unloading, one of the company's forklift drivers damaged one, and busted it off the pallat, ruining a couple drawers. A new set of drawers got ordered. I made the mistake of reinstalling the new drawers before bringing in the cabinet. As luck would have it, I took a corner too quick, and the drawers came open, and upset the cabinet on the pallat, which fell off, damaging a couple of the drawers.

The organizer was not pleased. He completely freaked out the rest of the day. To him, my name was mud. I reported the accident to the area supervisor, and he was cool with it. Said it wasn't my fault, and accidents happen. They just ordered a couple more drawers. No issue. I don't think the boss ever said anything to me about it.

3 pages today. Wow. Spent my time on a forklift and a sky lift. Had one funny with the forklift. The boss got hired by the local factory to organize their storage area. The boss hired a professional organizer to catelog all the parts, and create a computer program giving the location of the part, and the amount of inventory. My job was to use the forklift to bring in the cabinets, and put them in place, bolting them together. Then I helped bring the parts down from the old storage room, and put them in the cabinets in the new storage room. The organizer then documented where we put it. Each one of these cabinets were $13,000 a piece, minimum, depending on the number of drawers.

While unloading, one of the company's forklift drivers damaged one, and busted it off the pallat, ruining a couple drawers. A new set of drawers got ordered. I made the mistake of reinstalling the new drawers before bringing in the cabinet. As luck would have it, I took a corner too quick, and the drawers came open, and upset the cabinet on the pallat, which fell off, damaging a couple of the drawers.

The organizer was not pleased. He completely freaked out the rest of the day. To him, my name was mud. I reported the accident to the area supervisor, and he was cool with it. Said it wasn't my fault, and accidents happen. They just ordered a couple more drawers. No issue. I don't think the boss ever said anything to me about it.
Seems you can never be too careful. Screwed up my fare/ fair amount of stuff. not sure how to use that word, fare

Dropped a piano on the top of my forklift roll cage trying to stack it in the warehouse. Yea been there done that.

There is the old girl today

20240111_160311.jpg

So Fred really for the deep freeze, sounds like mama going to give us some winter. Temperature’s in the -30 range. Get your block heater cord set up

looks like Raymond stand-up fork lifts. using them was the part of the job I missed when I retired. Almost 2 years later, they called back and asked if I could "help" clean up for a month. seems "they" decided a distribution center was too costly and it was cheaper to ship the product, contact center and a few other jobs elsewhere.SSOOO, I got to go back and play with the forklifts again. When I was there, we added an addition and I was the one who filled and organized it. Ended up being the one to take the last bit of product out of there also.
WE had both narrow isle and counterbalance. Loved driving them.
Next time you drive one put a quarter on the floor and pick it up with the forks. lol
Driving the Raymond was what really screwed up my shoulder from the constant wear

At my retirement party my boss said he couldn't understand why me being such a car guy I didn't drive a lot of them in the warehouse. Then I told him I was blind in one eye and his jaw almost hit the floor and said
'I would feel really bad if I damaged one"
He said he would never had known that and I was a great forklift driver. I said what you lose on one sense you gain with another. When putting a pallet on the top shelf there just happened to be a bracket on the mast that lined up with another one and I knew I was at the correct height to go in with the pallet. You learn to adapt

Next time you drive one put a quarter on the floor and pick it up with the forks. lol
Driving the Raymond was what really screwed up my shoulder from the constant wear
I have done that with the zoom boom, won a box of beer on it lol

So Fred really for the deep freeze, sounds like mama going to give us some winter. Temperature’s in the -30 range. Get your block heater cord set up
We knew it wasn't going to last. :BangHead:
Keep my cars in the heated garage but block heater is ready just encase.

This new junk will never be restored. If you keep up with them you will understand. On the average they have 3 timing chains now 2 on the front and 1 on the rear. Oil controlled cam timing. Cylinders that get shut down and the list goes on. You wont see 300 thousand miles anymore without several engine swaps.

I use to pick up a dime but that was with a good set of forks.

-
Back