later 904 mount to a 65 block

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
hi can a later 904 trans from 1972 mount to a early motor 1966 slant six motor trying to figure out how this would work with the differance in the crank shaft thanks

As far as I'm aware, a custom converter with the small nose, swap to a later crankshaft or possibly have your crank pocket turned to the larger size. I think I would opt for the custom converter.

As far as I'm aware, a custom converter with the small nose, swap to a later crankshaft or possibly have your crank pocket turned to the larger size. I think I would opt for the custom converter.

can i grind down the torque converter snout so it can fit?

Possibly, a lathe would probably be better if it doesn't get too thin.

Possibly, a lathe would probably be better if it doesn't get too thin.

i been thinking If i have a transmission from a 1968 dart would it have the smaller snout on the torque converter i am thinking this because 1968 came out in 1967 as a new year model right ? what do you guys think?

Early transmissions had a different input spline if I am thinking correctly. I think there is enough meat on the pilot to turn it down to the size you need on a LATHE. "Grinding" by hand will only lead to more problems. If you are tranny savvy you can also swap out the drum with the input shaft and use your early converter.

Early transmissions had a different input spline if I am thinking correctly. I think there is enough meat on the pilot to turn it down to the size you need on a LATHE. "Grinding" by hand will only lead to more problems. If you are tranny savvy you can also swap out the drum with the input shaft and use your early converter.

ya grinding it is a no no that why im trying to see if a 68 trans would work because it would of came out in 67 as the new year

Yes, a 68 transmission would work fine with a later motor. In fact the shifter and lockdown linkage should bolt up as well.

Yes, a 68 transmission would work fine with a later motor. In fact the shifter and lockdown linkage should bolt up as well.
i didnt really make my self clear sorry about that but what i was asking is i have a transmission from a 68 dart i know 1968 was when the changed the diameter size on the back cranks but if the 68 dart had came out in 67 as the new year model would it have a 67 model transmission with the small diameter snout on it? Or would it have been changed already? Thanks For The Reply really helpful

It's possible to have the small snout converter especially if they were trying to get rid of old stock. Measure to confirm. If the small snout it will have the earlier spline count rather than the 68-up

Streeeeeeeetccch
I sure wouldnt waste my time trying to make this work.
But then,I have a shed full of parts and cores, and if I dont have what I need,fully assembled, I pretty much know where to find them.Maybe I'm just lazy................

-
Back