LCD LED or PLASMA?

-

justcuz

Reaction score
looking to upgrade TV in living room

looking for some suggestions

I'd say avoid Plasma. They look alright and are priced reasonably these days, but they are energy hogs. Your electric bill will go up with any normal amount of TV watching, and it will heat the room up alot. In Canada, maybe it will help function as a combination TV/space heater, but it's not terribly efficient.

I would personally go with a Sony LCD. I bought one and have no regrets. They're not quite as pricey as LEDs (which i'm waiting to come down), but they still show a really good picture. Make sure to at least get one with a 120hz refresh rate, and definitely 1080p. You won't be disappointed.

If you have the bank, go LED. They use almost no energy, and they look awesome.

Don't know where your located but the rule out here is if you live above 5000 feet DO NOT buy a plasma, they only last about 1-1/2 year. Mine is LCD and I've been happy with it. My next one will be a "internet ready" model so I can can Cable/Dish services and just live stream cheap. (Netflix, Roku, Boxee Box and Hulu.)

Our LCD crapped out and we bought a LED. Performance wise I'm satisfied with either but the LCD did put out a lot of heat.

I've heard that the LED has the best quality picture if you can afford it.

thanks for all the replies

now I just need to figure out what brand...LOL

We need a contrarian, Plasma 1080P. Streams 1080P video with blu-ray quality and perfect resolution and performance. 50" or bigger:)
DR

LCD 70" had it 5yrs now had to replace bulb once, not to expensive.it's a Mitsubishi I have started to notice real small black dots on the screen latey not sure what they are yet? but it's been a good TV.

We bought a Panasonic plasma because of the excellent picture quality. I just measured the temp of ours and the hottest spot is 85 degrees. Heat is not an issue for me. I have a little LED here in the kitchen and it has a great picture but you have to look at it straight on or the picture quality goes away. The plasma doesn't do that.

I just bought a 60" Panasonic Viera HD Plasma. I love this TV. If you are putting the TV in the basement out of direct sunlight Plasma is the way to go.My TV has a non glare screen and adjusts to room lighting. Plasma has come a long way since the first generation that was compared to LCD. For sports, Plasma is the way to go. I like the picture quality better vs LCD/LED. Blu rays look phenomenal.

i've been looking into this for a few months now..

if you like sports or action movies then plasma is the way to go because the refresh rate blows the others away. biggest problem though is if you have it in a room with a lot of light. i was set to get a plasma but my living room just has too much light for one...

as for the power savings they try to push down your throat on the lcd and led tv's go. look in to it.. in reality its only like 8 -12 dollars a year. and thats with the tv on some ungodly amount. you'll probably never even notice the difference...

on the lcd/led i agree. 120 hz minimum. the 3d tv's have come a long way also.. saw a samsung 3d tv while out recently that was incredible. it was a 240hz. the picture was just regular tv not a 3d movie or anything and the picture was incredible..

it seems to be mostly personal preference though. go out look at many different ones and decide what picture looks best to you..

Guess I have to throw my2 cents on the table..... I run a crew of broadband installers and we see it all. A plasma tv will most likely start to leak after 1-3 years...too many heat/cool cycles and the seal cracks..... lcd is pretty good, proven and reliable.... led is the bomb - would have bought one but got a crazy deal on a 46" lcd......

LED does give a very sharp picture. After comparing numerous brands on display at a bunch of different stores I went with a Vizio 1080p based on the crystal clear pic and better clarity at wider veiwing angles than other brands. Had it for over 2 years now and still very happy with it. Best bet is to physically compare brands for quality, check warrantees and when you decide which one you want look for sales before making a purchase.

LED is supposed to be the cutting edge beside Mega-buck OLED thats around the corner. The only drawback of LED that I have ever heard is points of white light such as star scenes come across as little multicolored dots. Big whoop, eh? And of the power supply goes, ie takes 20 minutes to turn on: Take it apart and look at the capacitors, if ANY are bulging out their cross tops, replace every one you can spot. I just recapped a friends and it is like new. It was 2 .69 1uf 50V caps that went bad, but I didnt find out till I recapped all the big ones to no avail. about 15 bucks for a recap kit on Ebay.

I bought a 47" Phillips LED TV from Wal Mart online for a steal of a price. I love it and everyone who sees it goes wild over the picture. It was an online only special and was delivered to the store for free. I drove 4 miles to pick it up myself. LED for the win!!!

Two Viz LED's here, but not 240hz.
LED is the sharpest, clearest, brightest and lowest power consumption without a doubt.

240hz just makes fast motion images clearer due the screen refresh rate of 240hz versus 60 because it loads a new image twice as fast.

Yup, we are still doing single images (although really fast now) to make movies.

I spent a lot of time researching TV's last year when I was in the market to replace my outdated 60" projection TV. Here's what I discovered:

Plasma has the best picture, but lower life cycle. If you're like me and have the TV constantly on, you probably don't want to go plasma. Even though plasma has the best picture, pricing tends to be lower than LCD/LED of comparable size. The reason for this is plasma's overall life tends to be less.

240hz refresh rate is hardly discernable to the naked eye. You won't be able to tell the difference between 120 and 240. Therefore, it's not worth paying the extra $'s for a 240hz.

Most entry level LED's are backlit LED TV's. IMO, not worth paying the extra $'s unless you're going to get a pure LED system. These are pricy and tend to be upwards of $2,000 for a 50"+ TV. LED's advantage over LCD is energy consumption and width. The picture benefit of LED over LCD is negligible. You can achieve higher contrast and color dynamics with LED, it just depends if you want to spend the extra $'s. However, I believe the future will be LED and OLED due to energy savings and thickness. The market is headed in this direction, but pricing has not come down enough.

I settled on an LCD...Samsung 55" LCD LN55C630. The overall picture quality suits my needs which is primarily sports. You can get these at Best Buy for $1,199 and free delivery.

Best time to buy a TV is the week leading up to Super Bowl Sunday. Although, LCD's in general are being slashed due to oversupply. You can get a great deal on an LCD or backlit LCD/LED TV.

Good Luck.

LCD 70" had it 5yrs now had to replace bulb once, not to expensive.it's a Mitsubishi I have started to notice real small black dots on the screen latey not sure what they are yet? but it's been a good TV.

Are you sure it's an LCD and not DLP? I wasn't aware Mitsubishi made 70" LCD's. Bulb replacement is a maintenance item on projection TV's.

-
Back