Leaf spring advice

-

sbmopar318

Reaction score
Ok so I’ve heard that SS springs require specific mounts?? Anyone expand on that??
Also I’ve heard they are horrible on the street??

Willing to hear suggestions

I’m working with a 72 scamp and getting ready to install my spring relocation kit and want to order my springs. Thanks in advance I appreciate all of your advice

What is the primary use of the car?

SS springs are for drag racing. They were designed for getting tires to hook on launch. You can run them on the street, and a lot of people do. But the spring rate is pretty high (like 160 lb/in for the 002/003 springs), higher than I like to run at the rear axle on a street car, they make the car ride pretty stiff in the back. And that's coming from a guy that runs 1.12" torsion bars with a 300 lb/in wheel rate up front. If it's just a weekend car it probably won't matter much. If it's a frequent or daily driver, you'll get sick of them IMO.

Stock /6 springs were like 85 lb/in, the XHD's are 110 lb/in, and most of the autoX and handling cars use something in the range of 120 - 130 lb/in. For a street car, I'd be looking somewhere in the 110-130 lb/in range.

SS springs are a direct bolt in for A bodies. They also work very well on the street. A lot of people don't like them because they sit unlevel while static. They also sit the car up pretty high in the rear. Some say they ride harsh, but I have used them in many A bodies through the years and I loved how the work and they don't ride bad at all. Plus, they help win lots of races.

Ive got the SS spring in my 63 dart id does sit crooked but i dont mind it. You can use two 002 or 003 but that would defeat the purpose of them. I drive my car 60 miles a day 5 days a week on the interstate and i have no complaints. They do get a little bouncy while driving under 30 mph but that could be crappy shocks/roads.

Depends how you are using the car.

90% street I’d go with a espo orceaton spring. Height is personal preference.

90% strip S/S springs.

They are a bolt in. I would never run them again. If I had to I'd run 2 LH springs.

what's wrong with your springs? Broken? Reverse arch?

They are a bolt in. I would never run them again. If I had to I'd run 2 LH springs.

what's wrong with your springs? Broken? Reverse arch?

I HAVE A PAIR I PULLED OFF. I RAN INTO A GOOD DEAL ON A COMPLETE CALTRAC SET UP. THE CALTRACS RIDE JUST AS BAD AS THE 002 AND 003 SPRINGS DID. I would run either both left or better yet both right side springs if I wanted it to set level tho .

Agree!
Using SS springs with a Rt and a Lt will tilt the whole side of your car, not just the rear. LOL !

Hey roccodart440
I think you said somewhere that you use, stock 340 springs, IIRR. I'm leaning that way too, but how do you keep them from sagging ? What shock are you using, or what's the solution?
You have a nice look to your car.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Agree!
Using SS springs with a Rt and a Lt will tilt the whole side of your car, not just the rear. LOL !

Hey roccodart440
I think you said somewhere that you use, stock 340 springs, IIRR. I'm leaning that way too, but how do you keep them from sagging ? What shock are you using, or what's the solution?
You have a nice look to your car.
[/QUOTE]

I ran 318 springs, the I went to a 340 spring. Why would they sag? If they have arch and you have the right height you are good to go.

My car has adjustable front leaf spring shackles. They are lowered 1.5"

I ran 318 springs, the I went to a 340 spring. Why would they sag? If they have arch and you have the right height you are good to go.

My car has adjustable front leaf spring shackles. They are lowered 1.5"[/QUOTE]

There you Go! There's the key. I've been trying to read up on this, now you've confirmed it.
I knew I asked the right guy, cause your car performs !
I know there is more to it, but this certainly helps. Street and strip.
Thanks roccodart440 !

Last edited:
Yup, bolt right in.
Check your front hanger bolt diameter if using the original ones.

I have no problem with the SS springs on the street so far. Car sits level with my butt in the seat.
Not an overly harsh ride at all IMO, feels substantially better than my F250 unloaded.

100_1345.jpg

What is the general purpose of the car? Street driving, drag racing,road racing etc?
That will s the important question.

SS springs are a direct bolt in for A bodies. They also work very well on the street. A lot of people don't like them because they sit unlevel while static. They also sit the car up pretty high in the rear. Some say they ride harsh, but I have used them in many A bodies through the years and I loved how the work and they don't ride bad at all. Plus, they help win lots of races.
True that!

Depends how you are using the car.

90% street I’d go with a espo orceaton spring. Height is personal preference.

90% strip S/S springs.
Bingo, winner!

The last Duster used a 1 inch overbend spring from ESPO with excellent results.

What is the primary use of the car?

SS springs are for drag racing. They were designed for getting tires to hook on launch. You can run them on the street, and a lot of people do. But the spring rate is pretty high (like 160 lb/in for the 002/003 springs), higher than I like to run at the rear axle on a street car, they make the car ride pretty stiff in the back. And that's coming from a guy that runs 1.12" torsion bars with a 300 lb/in wheel rate up front. If it's just a weekend car it probably won't matter much. If it's a frequent or daily driver, you'll get sick of them IMO.

Stock /6 springs were like 85 lb/in, the XHD's are 110 lb/in, and most of the autoX and handling cars use something in the range of 120 - 130 lb/in. For a street car, I'd be looking somewhere in the 110-130 lb/in range.

Important stuff.
If you're on summit racing, they don't give the spring rate.
I was on the phone with ESPO today and she said the 340 spring's spring rate was 130 and 6 leaves. I wonder what the spring rate would be with a plus one or two.

Yup, bolt right in.
Check your front hanger bolt diameter if using the original ones.

I have no problem with the SS springs on the street so far. Car sits level with my butt in the seat.
Not an overly harsh ride at all IMO, feels substantially better than my F250 unloaded.

View attachment 1715169423

Now if I'm hearing this right, good Point. With SS springs, You could reverse sides with the SS springs and counter the xtra half leaf with your body weight.
Or U could get rid of the half leaf.
And if you think it's too high in the back, get an adjustable front hanger and raise the front of the spring, which will lower the rear end.
And this will hopefully place the front spring eye above the neutral line which will help in body rise if UR drag racing. If you want rise and not squat.
Does this jive ? LOL ! This stuff is new to me.
This will change your pinion angle, but may not matter.
Like some you guys are saying, I don't mind the ride either, but it's not a daily driver. I have the 002,003 springs but there is the 863,864 ones for a 2800 lb car. By the old Chassis Book they are both rated 160 Spring Rate.
Is this long enough or what. LOL
OP what are you going to be doing with your car?

Went with a pair of passenger side ss springs. I have adjustable front hangers so hopefully I can get a good rake but not to goofy looking.

Important stuff.
If you're on summit racing, they don't give the spring rate.
I was on the phone with ESPO today and she said the 340 spring's spring rate was 130 and 6 leaves. I wonder what the spring rate would be with a plus one or two.

Now if I'm hearing this right, good Point. With SS springs, You could reverse sides with the SS springs and counter the xtra half leaf with your body weight.
Or U could get rid of the half leaf.
And if you think it's too high in the back, get an adjustable front hanger and raise the front of the spring, which will lower the rear end.
And this will hopefully place the front spring eye above the neutral line which will help in body rise if UR drag racing. If you want rise and not squat.
Does this jive ? LOL ! This stuff is new to me.
This will change your pinion angle, but may not matter.
Like some you guys are saying, I don't mind the ride either, but it's not a daily driver. I have the 002,003 springs but there is the 863,864 ones for a 2800 lb car. By the old Chassis Book they are both rated 160 Spring Rate.
Is this long enough or what. LOL
OP what are you going to be doing with your car?

Not the way to go! If u put them on the wrong sides, u would be going " totally " against what they were designed for. There would be virtually NO use in even using the s.s. springs !

i just don't get this using two of the same side SS spring thing. i think it was ok years ago when there weren't other options but now there are many options out there that i'd think were better options these days..

i just don't get this using two of the same side SS spring thing. i think it was ok years ago when there weren't other options but now there are many options out there that i'd think were better options these days..

SS's are bolt in, atleast in my 73 dart they were. And yes, they ride kinda rough on the street but I wouldn't call it horrible.

....and cheaper.

To clarify:
Important Stuff, was what 72blunblu said, not what I said.

And this is referring to what I thought a previous poster was saying, not
what I was saying.
Hey ! These guys can do what they want.
For me, two rights are going to be a little too stiff and a little too high,
and I would hate it, if it's the 002,002 springs.
You're talkn 160 LB/IN. plus.

Last edited:
Don’t use two of the same side MP springs.
Use ESPO springs instead.

-
Back