Leaf Spring ID

-

SSing

Reaction score
Need help to id a set of leaf springs.
One set # 717 65 1909 in three group above each other just at the center bolt.
The other set has # 717 65 1279. A bit strange since both numbers ends uneven...
Numbers are on the last leaf and springs have A-body front segment length.
I hope someone can help, as nothing shows up when searching on the web.
Thank You
Stefan

Too many numbers for old Chrysler parts. Should be 7 digits unless the first is a "P", xxxxxxx. Any pictures? How many leaves?

Too many numbers for old Chrysler parts. Should be 7 digits unless the first is a "P", xxxxxxx. Any pictures? How many leaves?

Here are a couple of pics. Both have a total of five leaves. Last pic indicate the difference in arch...
and thank you for trying to help me...

Attachments

• RearSpFront.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 492
  • RearSp#.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 442
  • RearSp##.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 386
  • RearSpBackS.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 381
Thanks for photo. Does not look like an OEM unit. Tried to attach pdf of spring section of 72 parts catalog. 340 springs are in HD section at bottom.

Attachments

• 72spring.pdf
    459.1 KB · Views: 404
Thanks for photo. Does not look like an OEM unit. Tried to attach pdf of spring section of 72 parts catalog. 340 springs are in HD section at bottom.

I´m not sure I follow you... but not any of "my" numbers in the pdf... right...
When weather gets a little warmer I will strip all the paint, and see if there are any other numbers.
Thanks so far.
Stefan

You might have some luck measuring arch and other dimensions, then comparing with the Dodge and Plymouth spring specs at www.Stenglebros.net or .com
You can estimate spring rate by measuring the distance moved under a known mass. A worn spring will have lower spring rate than when new. I had a set (aftermarket) that went from 180 bs/in to 130 lbs/in on the right side, not so bad on the left. However that was 80,000 miles of use and abuse including drag strip and autocross...

Chrysler part numbers for the springs and spring packs (the assembly of 4 - 7 leafs) from the 60s start with a 2 or a 3. However I do not know if the springs themselves were stamped with the part number. If not, it would not be the only Chyrsler part that had different numbers on them than their part number. Do a websearch here and on moparts for leaf spring numbers and you may turn up some more insight on that from concours restoration people.

My notes from Chrysler Parts books have include these A body 5 leaf spring pack part numbers
1967 for 225 equiped B3004 575 and 6
1968 for 225 equipped 3004 581
These for 225 Barracuda HD and Fastback may or may not have been 5 leaf
3004 582
3004 585

Sorry that's all I have notes on, and I can't be 100% sure of the accuracy or relationship between the parts book (replacement springs) and the factory installed. I've read instances where replacement parts were not the same as factory installed....

You might have some luck measuring arch and other dimensions, then comparing with the Dodge and Plymouth spring specs at www.Stenglebros.net or .com
You can estimate spring rate by measuring the distance moved under a known mass. A worn spring will have lower spring rate than when new. I had a set (aftermarket) that went from 180 bs/in to 130 lbs/in on the right side, not so bad on the left. However that was 80,000 miles of use and abuse including drag strip and autocross...

Chrysler part numbers for the springs and spring packs (the assembly of 4 - 7 leafs) from the 60s start with a 2 or a 3. However I do not know if the springs themselves were stamped with the part number. If not, it would not be the only Chyrsler part that had different numbers on them than their part number. Do a websearch here and on moparts for leaf spring numbers and you may turn up some more insight on that from concours restoration people.

My notes from Chrysler Parts books have include these A body 5 leaf spring pack part numbers
1967 for 225 equiped B3004 575 and 6
1968 for 225 equipped 3004 581
These for 225 Barracuda HD and Fastback may or may not have been 5 leaf
3004 582
3004 585

Sorry that's all I have notes on, and I can't be 100% sure of the accuracy or relationship between the parts book (replacement springs) and the factory installed. I've read instances where replacement parts were not the same as factory installed....

Thank you Mattax, Well I´ll see if any more #,s show up when they are striped off... I´ll let you know.
Thank you all.

I´m not sure I follow you... but not any of "my" numbers in the pdf... right...Stefan

Right. Based on the photos, I have no doubt that they are Chrysler sourced. What year car is this, anyway?

The "numbers" in the .pdf are the OEM parts as listed in 1972. Mattax is probably using a resource like mine to arrive at his "numbers". What year car is this anyway?

Another possibility is that the springs you have may be Mopar aftermarket. e.g. Mopar Performance or Direct Connection. In my experience, the aftermarket numbers do not usually coincide with OEM numbers even for essentially the same part.

Exactly. Back when I lived in North Jersey I went to a dealer that had a very complete set of parts books and took lots of notes on leaf spring part numbers. The parts book only give 'application' ie. Barracuda, special hardtop, v-8 except 383. The shop manuals provide the number of leaves, but don't cover all combinations. The Direct Connection/Mopar Performance bulletins and books provide snippets of info for both factory and 'P' parts.

Direct Connection / Mopar Performance sold (and I think still does sell) SS springs, Kit Car and Circle Track springs, and even got into the restoration game with some repop and some vaguely restoration products including springs.

Original leaf springs that I have seen use tapered ends on all leafs, and the corners are rounded. If that is universally true, then your set is some sort of aftermarket or rebuilt.

The P-part SS springs have a lot of initial (aka free) arch. The amount of arch will vary depending on the set: For a light car you would buy a set that came with less arch than a heavy car and maybe it had some other more subtle differences too. All versions had more free arch on the right. Spring rate was 160 #/in on both sides.
One of the Mopar Performance bulletins also give the minimum thickness for the main leaf and the first supporting spring. They also state the supporting springs extend to the middle of the front eye - like the ones you pictures.

Someplace I have a few p/n for other spring manufactures. IIRC Triangle's p/n start with 7, but I couldn't find the notes to verify. Of course since you're on the other side of the atlantic, its possible there are other p/n we don't come across in US-Canada models.

Even though these are aftermarket, going through the listings here will give you a good idea of what came from the factory - some are even cross referenced to the Chrysler p/n
http://www.stengelbros.net/Plymouth-Leaf-Springs_c_226.html
and
http://www.stengelbros.net/Dodge-Passenger-Car-Leaf-Springs_c_194.html

Good info, thank you.
I have now talked to the guy from whom I got these leaf springs, and he says he bought them new trough a DC dealer we had here in Sweden in the early 80´s. Ordered as a set of SS-Springs for the 3000 lb stick cars. (the #002-003 we better know them) He had a ´68 340 stick Dart at the time, and run MP
Is it may be these springs had another # painted on them, but also the # showed in the pictures? I shall carefully remove the paint on the main leaf and see if I can see something...
I´m going to use them in my ´68 SS/B tribute build.

Thank You
Stefan

Here are a couple of pics. Both have a total of five leaves. Last pic indicate the difference in arch...
and thank you for trying to help me...

I was thinking the 002-3 SS-Springs doesn´t need to have this # stamped on them. I thing this # is painted on them. So it might be there is another # stamped on them? Anyone who have a set of these SS-Springs to check on? That would be super :)

See pics of # earlier on in this thread, if not showing here...

Thank You
Stefan

I have found some good pictures of 002-3 springs, and when comparing they look what I would call identical, except these have pads. Mine does not have pads, which is fine since that is correct for my build.
I assume the SS-spring look different in terms of number of leaves and length of leaves depending of application.

It´s a bit odd to see the last short leave are like turned opposite of each other. This is also the case of my springs, having me to think someone had been tampering with them at some point... I did have a set on a car in the late seventies, but really not one of the details I remember :)

The newer SS-spring seem to have the same #:s (002-3) stamped on, where mine have another #:s. Maybe this have to do with the older springs were made in the US, where's newer are made in Mexico. Just my guess...

Also I couldn't find any trace of white paint on them, so I guess they were labeled...

Picture is of newer 002-3 springs. (hope it was all wright to use it)

Thank you all for your input.
Stefan

Attachments

• SSSpringpånätetJämför.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 236
Does anyone have the numbers for leaf springs on a 70 340 4 speed dart?

-
Back