Leaf springs and what to buy!

-

Andre68

Reaction score
So, I'm buying new leaf springs for my 68 dodge dart, I was gonna buy the SS springs 2 passenger from summit, with shipping they come out to like a total of $235 for both. Now I had some 8" shackles or hangers (dont know which) when I bought the car. So I need to know what to buy, aside from the springs haha

Difference between hangers and shackles? I take it shackles are the extension?

I take it I need to buy new hangers? or are the ones I have now good I just need new bushings? Im gonna need new ubolts as well, had to cut the old ones off, too much rust.

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 423
  • photo 1.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 421
Your hangers are fine. You need new stock shackles.

So, I'm buying new leaf springs for my 68 dodge dart, I was gonna buy the SS springs 2 passenger from summit,

You need a passenger and drivers side spring set, not two passenger side springs.

Okay I will buy those. I read here that some members bought 2 passenger side springs to have a level ride?

What is your primary usage for this car? If it's primarily a street car I'd be more inclined to use the Mopar Performance HD resto springs, or something from eatondetroitspring.com. or ESPO springs. They will tweak springs if you want for more or less arch. The S/S springs can be kinda stiff for everyday street use in my opinion.

Regardless, throw those extended shackles in the trash. You don't want to be riding around in an unsafe clown car.

Your front spring hangers are good but depending on which springs you use, be prepared to drill the through holes to 5/8" diameter. (The Mopar S/S springs for instance use 5/8" dia bolts.) I've measured 9/16" and 1/2" thru bolts on stock a-body Mopar springs. There are front adjustable hangers out there. Off the top of my head, check ARengineering.com if you want to play with ride height.

The stock frame mounted rear spring hangers are perfectly fine but get a pair of stock shackles and if you want an improvement over that, replace the bushings in the shackles with poly.

Take a look at the Mancini Racing site too.

ESPO is the way. Nice people too. +1" 5 leaf HD, very popular setup.

Search around on here, you'll find examples, try 'Jamie's dart leaf spring'

:)

Okay I will buy those. I read here that some members bought 2 passenger side springs to have a level ride?
S/S springs are not supposed to be level. There a spring set for RACING. There off set subsides a little after a while.

The above suggestion is what I would also suggest and as well, have used ESPO.com myself. I used the 1 inch over bent springs on my old Duster project. Excellent place to deal with and a excellent product.

After installing them, the car hooked and went straight, road nice and looked great with its slight rake. Click below and run through it some. You'll fndtne spring shots and some other info on my old toy project.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508

you really need to decide what you want the suspension to do and then buy your springs for that purpose.There are springs for handling,drag racing,cruising ...

Well I have stockish suspension up front. The car would be a weekend car, I do want it to have a rake.

Call espo springs and things they have everything you need. 1-800-903-9019 They make them for alot of companys.

I just emailed espo, I'll see how it goes! I do want that rear lift though, I heard the ss springs were good for that

They make a heavy duty spring also thats nice. Iwouldcall because there is only 2 people in the shop if there busy the email could take awhile.

The 1 inch over bend will not have a serious effect in street conditions.
The S/S springs are way to much.

You said "Stockish" suspension, what is Stockish?

I just put a set of Mancini Racing Heavy Duty 1" lift springs on my 73 duster. By looking at the car you can definitely tell its raised some but I like that look also. I have no complaints to speak of yet but I haven't tried a corner at high speeds yet either.

I have the 002 and 003 SS springs on my 68 Dart and they do ride rough. I'm seriously considering going with something else to improve the ride when money allows.

-
Back