Leaf Springs

-
Seriously though it almost sounds as if something is holding the rear suspension from rising. Have you checked the shocks? What are you runnin back there?

well would/could that be from the XHD springs and shackle angle(vertical)?
just cheap autozone shocks... looking to upgrade to Comp Eng. adjustable all the way around

when you do get ss springs, you can't use stock length shocks, the y will bind like ss is saying.

And you may break stuff when you actually do hook.

well have an 8.75 out back, new driveshaft 3", rebuilt 904 and new converter...

what are you thinking in particular?

well would/could that be from the XHD springs and shackle angle(vertical)?
just cheap autozone shocks... looking to upgrade to Comp Eng. adjustable all the way around

well have an 8.75 out back, new driveshaft 3", rebuilt 904 and new converter...

what are you thinking in particular?

maybe with a slant it'd be diff, but I'm talking output shafts bent.

if you search you'll find a fabo thread where someone did everything but listen to people who told him to change the shocks, he bent his output shaft from binding the suspension, that movement has to go somewhere....for him it was the toilet.lol

maybe with a slant it'd be diff, but I'm talking output shafts bent.

if you search you'll find a fabo thread where someone did everything but listen to people who told him to change the shocks, he bent his output shaft from binding the suspension, that movement has to go somewhere....for him it was the toilet.lol

know i know better than to do that...

im pulling the springs today and probably swapping tomorrow

think the boss has a set of long shocks i can use for a bit

or just launch with out them, but don't drive around like that.lol

fix the shackle angle.
u will probably have to weld in some boxes to mount the shackle hangers to in order to bring them forward enough to get the angle.

and know this...mr.gasket sells 'shock extension' brackets so you can technically run the stock shock if you use them.

Hay that's a good idea. Take the shocks off and see if the back rises then. Also, remember this.....ANY kinda gas charged shock pretty much renders the rear suspension on a drag race Mopar useless. That might be some of your problem. Simple enough to find out.

Hay that's a good idea. Take the shocks off and see if the back rises then. Also, remember this.....ANY kinda gas charged shock pretty much renders the rear suspension on a drag race Mopar useless. That might be some of your problem. Simple enough to find out.

so those CE adjustables will work cuz there are not gas charged...

does it have to do with valving?

your rear suspension is not working. Tire spin? too tight? It is not even bumping against full stock extension. Rear shackle angle is not the problem (yet). Your springs are not moving. Traction? Sort the rear problem out, then look to worn out junkyard front shocks, right now your problem is in the rear.
When you get it sorted out, I have a new set of 65 and 66 SS springs, new. For a 3000# auto, 125# spring rate.

your rear suspension is not working. Tire spin? too tight? It is not even bumping against full stock extension. Rear shackle angle is not the problem (yet). Your springs are not moving. Traction? Sort the rear problem out, then look to worn out junkyard front shocks, right now your problem is in the rear.
When you get it sorted out, I have a new set of 65 and 66 SS springs, new. For a 3000# auto, 125# spring rate.

exactly... the car, or i should say springs are to hard in the wrong places...

pulling so i can put my 002/003's on tomarrow along with six bars up front... i think that the .890's i have up front are also (along with shocks) keeping the front end down due to ratio/stiffness

same on the rear for that matter

Yeah if the shocks you plan on using or are using are NOT gas charged, that's a plus. the MP suspenion manual recommends usin just plain stock hydraulic shocks on the rear and the same on the front....with holes drilled in them to remove the fluid....for drag racing of course. It's in the book, I swear. It also WORKS. I mean dude, look at the rest of your car. It's a budget build much like the cars of the 60s and 70s. I promise, it don't need 300 buck shocks. That suspension is a great design....you'll get it ironed out. I'm lookin forward to see it when you do. I wish we lived closer. Would love to come lay under it with you and figure it out....maybe have a few beers after....

My race only car weighs 2900 w/driver. Really low budget, but pretty light. Currently have XHD springs with the rear clamps removed. I'd like to go to SS springs in order to help my 60'. I imagine 2800# is the way to fly. Who has the best price?

I don't think you have the hp for 002. And don't they take a 5/8" bolt in front? I would put stock springs on it, and test, then start putting clamps on the front segment, until it slowed down. You should have 2-3" rear chassis rise, which shows you are planting the tires.

oopps

but consider the ark diff between hd's and ss [effecting eye to eye distance] then relize you may need to move the shackle mount more or less between them, so spring swap could mean changing that spacing again.

hmmm....it might not be a problem.

small front eye in the 002/003

Thats what we're saying, fix the shackle angle 1st, then look into changing to the ss.

but consider the ark diff between hd's and ss [effecting eye to eye distance] then relize you may need to move the shackle mount more or less between them, so spring swap could mean changing that spacing again.

hmmm....

well thats the reason i was gonna change is so the angle would be correct... i mean its just a stock 68 dart back there... no inboard springs or even flipped hangers... thats why i thought it was weird the XHD's had suck a bad angle...

and your right wild... i could just make the angle right on these but then have to do it again on the ss's so im just going with the SS's now and if i have to adjust then so be it...

im giving the XHD's and .890's to my dad (73 dart) or all the help he has been giving me...

well thats the reason i was gonna change is so the angle would be correct... i mean its just a stock 68 dart back there... no inboard springs or even flipped hangers... thats why i thought it was weird the XHD's had suck a bad angle...

and your right wild... i could just make the angle right on these but then have to do it again on the ss's so im just going with the SS's now and if i have to adjust then so be it...

im giving the XHD's and .890's to my dad (73 dart) or all the help he has been giving me...

I realize green1 was responding to someone else.

cool, dO iT.:-D

I was responding to the kid. You can buy thick tubing from the local chassis builder, and install it where ever you want.

notice rear leaf spring location
this 1st pic is your car @ MATS
the second is our 1968 slant six stock project /HURSTSS/ slant six 2 years ago aprox b4 any work $500 car
the third pic is now all stock slant six 1 barrel/auto stock rear. the only dif. is Hemi fender cut out and adapter plates for late model mopar cop wheels/larger tires.

about the 2900lbs thing?
thought that was directed at the poster above you.

The cars weight does matter.

very correct... weight matters

notice rear leaf spring location
this 1st pic is your car @ MATS
the second is our 1968 slant six stock project /HURSTSS/ slant six 2 years ago aprox b4 any work $500 car
the third pic is now all stock slant six 1 barrel/auto stock rear. the only dif. is Hemi fender cut out and adapter plates for late model mopar cop wheels/larger tires.

all your pics the spring isn't visible meaning it is leaned back correctly... mine is not...

so im thinking the SS springs will let the rear part of the spring "relax" more becasue of leaf placement and alow the shackle go to the correct placement...

will see... if not then we jump the next hoop

thank you guys! first thing tomarrow she goes on the lift

Ed, from Jon's pictures it looks as if your car is already in the "jacked up" position at static. If it's already there, that's certainly why it's not rising. I bet you find out what the deal is when you swap springs.

Ed, from Jon's pictures it looks as if your car is already in the "jacked up" position at static. If it's already there, that's certainly why it's not rising. I bet you find out what the deal is when you swap springs.

good point...

Are you 100% sure you left it ALL loose and tightened everything with the car on the ground? Cause that's soundin more and more like what's wrong.

Are you 2 talking about the front suspension, like when you rebuilt it wether u set it down 1st or not before raising the ride height?
Or wether or not you clocked the lower arms on the bars correctly, therfore they are adjusted all the way but the car won't sit high enough ?
or?

we were talking about tightening the shackle bolts and what not...

-
Back