leak down test.

-

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
can someone please explain how to do a proper leak down test on my small block . starting to use oil we think it is sucking oil through a leaky head or heads would like to rule out the rings first . the edlebrock rpm heads were cnc ported . thanks. Aaron

The first thing is, "leak down testers vary." That is there is no hard and fast calibration

Basically what you have there is an orifice of some .040" with a regulator supplying whatever the destructions say, usually 100PSI "blocked"

When you hook up to the cylinder, the orifice restricts flow, and if there is a large "hole" in the cylinder to flow through, the more flow, the more drop

Ideally you should run this warm, but that can be difficult to do.

Also, without a "before" baseline test, all you can do is to make assumptions about the condition of the engine, and compare one reading to the next

As you are doing so, listen at carb, exhaust, oil filler, and rad filler for an idea of leakage.

About 15% leakage or so is about getting bottom, depending. 20% is "you have trouble"

If you have a 0-100 gauge on the orifice side, this equates to the reciprocal of leakage, IE 80 psi is 20%, 90 is 10 % leakage

Mark the dampener at 90 intervals for a V8 so you can wrench the piston being tested to exact TDC. Otherwise, the air will just push it over.

If you can, best to ALSO test with the piston at BDC, I always do the TDC tests, then yank the valve gear off so the valves stay closed, and then just let the air push the piston down to BDC and re-reun the test.

Hope this helps

The first thing is, "leak down testers vary." That is there is no hard and fast calibration

Basically what you have there is an orifice of some .040" with a regulator supplying whatever the destructions say, usually 100PSI "blocked"

When you hook up to the cylinder, the orifice restricts flow, and if there is a large "hole" in the cylinder to flow through, the more flow, the more drop

Ideally you should run this warm, but that can be difficult to do.

Also, without a "before" baseline test, all you can do is to make assumptions about the condition of the engine, and compare one reading to the next

As you are doing so, listen at carb, exhaust, oil filler, and rad filler for an idea of leakage.

About 15% leakage or so is about getting bottom, depending. 20% is "you have trouble"

If you have a 0-100 gauge on the orifice side, this equates to the reciprocal of leakage, IE 80 psi is 20%, 90 is 10 % leakage

Mark the dampener at 90 intervals for a V8 so you can wrench the piston being tested to exact TDC. Otherwise, the air will just push it over.

If you can, best to ALSO test with the piston at BDC, I always do the TDC tests, then yank the valve gear off so the valves stay closed, and then just let the air push the piston down to BDC and re-reun the test.

Hope this helps
thanks for the great tips
do you have a leak down tester?
a friend has one i can get

thanks i dont know how i missed this .

The biggest things IMO:
The engine should be operating temp. If it won't run well enough to warm it up - skip the test and take it apart.
The air source has to have a large volume and exceed 100psi at it's source. A small compressor that just reaches 100psi isn't adequate. You need higher than that in front of the tester.

You can do a leak test at 80 or 75 or even 50 psi, just easier to work with 100, for the lack of calculations. The point is to find where the air is escaping.

If the heads have the stock valve seals from edelbrock....those seals are junk

If you need a tester let me know and I will send mine over for you to use!!
thanks john i may need to do that
If the heads have the stock valve seals from edelbrock....those seals are junk
how much oil would a engine consume with bad seals? but i think there is good seals in these heads they were built by a well known mopar builder i was told cnc ported heads will sometimes leak oil in a few spots like pushrod tubes or head bolt tubes anyone else have this problem ?

-
Back