Leakage

-

snoreen40

Reaction score
Any one make a good gasket for a 727 trans pan? I've replaced the gasket 3 times, once with a new pan, straight edged the trans and this is good. When the car sits it always drips. In Minnesota and I know temp changes will have an effect. This trans is newly rebuilt and it is the pan leaking. Any ideas?

Get one of these bonded rubber/metal pan gaskets for one of these transmissions.
You won't be sorry, and they can be reused over and over again.
Look it up under the trans types shown, or get one from your local dealership.

A518 A618 46RE 48RE

Attachments

• pan.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 123
you sure its the pan? Check dipstick O-ring, sector shaft O-ring and even the kickdown pivot pin that is exposed. I like those bonded rubber gaskets too, work great on valve covers also.

you sure its the pan? Check dipstick O-ring, sector shaft O-ring and even the kickdown pivot pin that is exposed. I like those bonded rubber gaskets too, work great on valve covers also.

People generally swear it's the pan even if it isn't so I figured we'd start there. :D

Get one of these bonded rubber/metal pan gaskets for one of these transmissions.
You won't be sorry, and they can be reused over and over again.
Look it up under the trans types shown, or get one from your local dealership.

A518 A618 46RE 48RE

X2 on this gasket. They're called a zero leak pan gasket for a reason. Just don't over tighten them.

If you've done all that I doubt it's the gasket. I've seen them seep but they usually have to sit for days before they'll drip. Still, the ribbed gasket TB specified is the way to go. My trans always seeped a little with every gasket I tried until I installed one of the ribbed ones. Took care of the problem completely. My guess is it's not your pan gasket but rather something else like Pishta said. With a new trans it's a little harder to tell when ATF is trailing down from something cause it's so clean and clear. What you need to do is get under there and clean every bit of ATF off with brake/carb cleaner and lay there and watch things for a while. May take laying there 1/2 hr or more but you'll eventually see where the fluid is escaping from

Any one make a good gasket for a 727 trans pan? I've replaced the gasket 3 times, once with a new pan, straight edged the trans and this is good. When the car sits it always drips. In Minnesota and I know temp changes will have an effect. This trans is newly rebuilt and it is the pan leaking. Any ideas?

I back-pean every screwhole, and make absolutely sure that the inner edge of the pan does not contact the case first. If it does it will squish the gasket down hard, and possibly split it; but in any case the tendency to leak is greater than if the outer edge contacts first.I have good success with regular black or even the impregnated cork gaskets. I won't use the 1960's type, thin plain cork, anymore.

..................^^..............And overtightened bolts is one of the biggest reasons for leaks

No issues with cork. Coat mine with gasket adhesive and go easy on the torque.

Check the other leak spots. Shift arm seal, band adjusting screw, flare fittings, o ring on the fill tube, park cable, etc.

-
Back