Leaking AA & AAA Batteries

-

I don't know if this really applies to your guy's problems with batteries, but the issues that you are having is one reason why I don't buy batteries in bulk unless I'm changing my flashlight batteries. Batteries that just lay around for long periods of time are known for leaking and power loss
Batteries leaking in the store package before they are purchased, with 8 year shelf life remaining, is likely not the fault of the person who hasn’t bought them yet.

Batteries leaking in less than six months from purchase (in the package in a drawer) is also not likely influenced by the user.

There has been a significant change in battery life over the past couple years. I have bought batteries in bulk for more than 20 years, and rarely had them go bad prior to use.

Not related to the leaking issue, but just a SAFETY TIP. When you discard old batteries, wrap them with tape before you throw them in the trash. Doesn't matter what kind of tape, but just make a few laps around to completely cover both the + and - ends.

The reason is, in the perfect storm situation inside a trash can....the ends can short out against a soup can, piece of aluminum foil, anything metallic, and start a trash can fire that will spread quickly. This happened to a guy on Moparts several years ago. He and his family were not at home when it happened, but it burnt their house to the ground. :( I've been wrapping mine ever since.

Duracell batteries have ruined more or my stuff than I can count. No problems out of Energizers for the past number of years.

Not related to the leaking issue, but just a SAFETY TIP. When you discard old batteries, wrap them with tape before you throw them in the trash. Doesn't matter what kind of tape, but just make a few laps around to completely cover both the + and - ends.

The reason is, in the perfect storm situation inside a trash can....the ends can short out against a soup can, piece of aluminum foil, anything metallic, and start a trash can fire that will spread quickly. This happened to a guy on Moparts several years ago. He and his family were not at home when it happened, but it burnt their house to the ground. :( I've been wrapping mine ever since.
I can confirm this.......In 30 years with the FD I've seen this on more than one occasion...........Garage fires with battery tenders as well..........House fires where the cloths dryer was left running while the homeowners were out.

I have had Energizer, Duracell, and CVS store brand in packs for a while. Just checked them... no leakers. I can't remember when I have seen any leak.
On another note, some here may remember my posts about my wife's Christmas Bear given to her by her late husband before he died in 1992. It is a stuffed teddy bear that sit about 1 foot high and has only been out of its box maybe twice since then. It has an electronic music player and it has the Duracell batteries that he installed with a good thru date of 2002. After her sister died in 2001, it would play Christmas music at least once most years, while still in the box on a shelf, untouched, sometime between Thanksgiving and New Year's day. We last heard it in 2021.

I can confirm this.......In 30 years with the FD I've seen this on more than one occasion...........Garage fires with battery tenders as well..........House fires where the cloths dryer was left running while the homeowners were out.
We’re the battery tenders the brand Battery Tender? Thanks.

MIL'S blood pressure cuff didn't work. She dug around her plastic bucket full of batteries and it looked like a nuclear meltdown. Mostly Duracells got pitched. I can still smell the white corrosion dust. I should have used a mask. LMAO

I just took some AA Rayovac batteries out of a tool I hadn’t used in years. They expire in 2025. They were still full voltage and not leaking. Looks like I need to start looking for old batteries…..

MIL'S blood pressure cuff didn't work. She dug around her plastic bucket full of batteries and it looked like a nuclear meltdown. Mostly Duracells got pitched. I can still smell the white corrosion dust. I should have used a mask. LMAO

Having mass battery leaks of hazardous chemicals is much better than where we were before with sealed up batteries with microscopic quantities of mercury, huh?

Another example of greenies run wild. I hope there is something of the environment left after they are through improving it with batteries…..

Has anyone ever had batteries warranteed? They post on the package Guaranteed for 10 Years, Just wondering how you went about it, Joe

I have had Energizer, Duracell, and CVS store brand in packs for a while. Just checked them... no leakers. I can't remember when I have seen any leak.
On another note, some here may remember my posts about my wife's Christmas Bear given to her by her late husband before he died in 1992. It is a stuffed teddy bear that sit about 1 foot high and has only been out of its box maybe twice since then. It has an electronic music player and it has the Duracell batteries that he installed with a good thru date of 2002. After her sister died in 2001, it would play Christmas music at least once most years, while still in the box on a shelf, untouched, sometime between Thanksgiving and New Year's day. We last heard it in 2021.
And the Christmas Bear still untouched in the box just played music. My wife was putting some other Christmas decorations up after vacuuming the shelf, but she needed me to put up a couple of the larger pieces and the bear started playing.

20221230_150246.jpg

And the Christmas Bear still untouched in the box just played music. My wife was putting some other Christmas decorations up after vacuuming the shelf, but she needed me to put up a couple of the larger pieces and the bear started playing.

View attachment 1716028613

You've been telling us about the Bear for years, haven't you?

When I bought my brand new 2006 Mega Cab, I bought a brand new MagLite. I put brand new D cell Duracell batteries in and believe it or not, they still work and have no leakage. Granted, the flashlight is only lit once a year if that. I used it last night as a matter of fact.

You've been telling us about the Bear for years, haven't you?
I think so. I wasn't so sure it would happen this year but just 2 days before New Year's Day. Duracell batteries are over 30 years old.
I caught it on video on my phone one year. Usually by the time I get my phone out, get the camera on, switch it to video, hit the record button, and it takes its time to actually start recording, the music is finished.

Pretty freaky he comes around to say hi every year. But it's also pretty cool.
Her late husband gave it to her probably 1991. He died Aug 8, 1992. Her sister died Aug 21, 2001 and that Christmas Eve is when it started.

I bought some batteries, but they weren't included...

So I had to buy them again... :rolleyes:

Did you hear that the Energizer bunny is in jail...

He was charged with battery... :rolleyes:

These were included with a diode tester I bought last year.
They're Made in U.S.A. and Guaranteed.
1672452510266.png

Fer some reason didn't work...

-
Back