leaking torch, BAD!

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
fired up my old Bernzomatic brazing torch and the thing freaking 'bout burned my hand off! There is a hole in the knob that evidently informs you that your diaphragm has torn and it leaks. That about as dumb as Holley putting the accelerator pump weep hole in the 1920 1bbl carb on the outside of the carb where it can squirt your hot exhaust manifold! Anyway: I get the thing lit and im adjusting the flame with the knob and its smelling pretty gassy so Im turning it down and the pooled gas finally ignites in a ball of flame about as big as a basketball. Holy ****, my first instinct was to toss it flaming into the back yard and hope it runs out, but something stopped me and told me to turn the knob (which still had a jet of flame coming out of the center of it) off. So I grabbed it from the side like grabbing a baseball bat and turned the freaking thing off, It went out and I took a deep breath. It just singed a few hairs off the back of my hand up to my sleeve, but no skin burns. I chuckled nervously and unscrewed the cylinder and proceeded to take the **** apart to determine WTF happened.
The knob is pressed onto a knurled valve head. Uscrewed the top and there is a rubber diaphragm in there that was torn or melted, couldnt tell, but it was the consistency of jelly where it had failed. Ozone or MAPP gas corrosion? Well, if your similar torch makes a hissing noise from that weep hole, toss it ASAP. Its done. Be safe.

Attachments

• 031013195040.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 623
  • 031013200219.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 716
  • 031013200413.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 589
They were jus' testin' ta see if you're awake, LOL.

fired up my old Bernzomatic brazing torch and the thing freaking 'bout burned my hand off! There is a hole in the knob that evidently informs you that your diaphragm has torn and it leaks. That about as dumb as Holley putting the accelerator pump weep hole in the 1920 1bbl carb on the outside of the carb where it can squirt your hot exhaust manifold! Anyway: I get the thing lit and im adjusting the flame with the knob and its smelling pretty gassy so Im turning it down and the pooled gas finally ignites in a ball of flame about as big as a basketball. Holy ****, my first instinct was to toss it flaming into the back yard and hope it runs out, but something stopped me and told me to turn the knob (which still had a jet of flame coming out of the center of it) off. So I grabbed it from the side like grabbing a baseball bat and turned the freaking thing off, It went out and I took a deep breath. It just singed a few hairs off the back of my hand up to my sleeve, but no skin burns. I chuckled nervously and unscrewed the cylinder and proceeded to take the **** apart to determine WTF happened.
The knob is pressed onto a knurled valve head. Uscrewed the top and there is a rubber diaphragm in there that was torn or melted, couldnt tell, but it was the consistency of jelly where it had failed. Ozone or MAPP gas corrosion? Well, if your similar torch makes a hissing noise from that weep hole, toss it ASAP. Its done. Be safe.

Holy shat! Imma go check out mine now!

-
Back