LED headlights, rear lights, front parl lights and interior for 1964 plymouth Valiant

-

Mopar64340

Reaction score
Hello guys

So im ready to get into my light system

Ive been looking at a couple kits I have found on line. But i want to see what kits you guys have used ?

I want the head lights to look stock but be high level LEDs. Any suggestions ?

I found this kit. Anybody use it ?

Screenshot_20240116_200806_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
I went with this company for all my LEDs, except for my headlights and dash which I went with a Dakota Digital gauge cluster.

I actually went with HELLA 7” round head light with the removable halogen bulbs like used on Volkswagens in the 70’s. Not as much draw as the factory light, but clear light and bright. H-3 or H-7 bulbs I believe.
LED headlights are obnoxious as an older driver. Honestly I drive a bunch at night and these light work well.
SN: my car has all new factory harnesses so no relays or corrosion issues yet.

Sylvania Zevo for S/T/T and Holly Retro Bright for headlights

I want the head lights to look stock but be high level LEDs.
They don't exist. At least not yet.

You didn't mention the year, but regardless the original lens would look similar to this. GE, Westinghouse or TungSol.
1705414817389.png

High quality LEDs are made by JW Speaker, Trucklite, and Peterson.
The light from the diode is more of a straight line, so to spread the light in the right pattern, the lens is very different.
1705416081528.png

See links in Stern's post here

They do now, See Holley RetroBright

View attachment 1716193095
So they claim

These LED headlamps sold by Holley are sourced through an intermediary company out of China, and promoted along the lines of modern performance with vintage looks. I had high hopes for them, but they turned out as a complete let-down. If you drive your car at night at all, you're wise to steer clear, no matter what price you might find them at. There are legitimate (effective, safe, legal) LED headlamps to fit any sealed-beam car, but the RetroBrights are not on that list.

Hello guys

So im ready to get into my light system

Ive been looking at a couple kits I have found on line. But i want to see what kits you guys have used ?

I want the head lights to look stock but be high level LEDs. Any suggestions ?

As already mentioned go by Daniel Stern’s advice.
He is literally the authority on vehicle lighting.

My Dart is all LED save for the headlights and those are GE Nighthawks on relays.

I’ve spent years testing and even building LED lighting for various uses and even my trunk interior light and license plate light are LED.

IMG_5137.png

IMG_5136.png

IMG_4755.jpeg

IMG_4754.jpeg

did my tail lights brake lights blinkers and side lights last year

LED Indicators/blinkers, side/running and tail/brake lights

i use a relay set up and halogens in the headlights and spots on the front just to avoid the law which gets a bit silly in respect to Euro/British standard stuff when it comes to head lights

very pleased with the outcome

i list a UK supplier but also mention the manufactuerer of the led bulbs
they have a site that you can get model numbers off and then find a local supplier if you like what you see

Dave

Last edited:
See Holley RetroBright
Or if you actually want to be smarter than the av-er-age bear and see safely at night—and have legitimate headlamps in your car so if worse comes to worst and you get in a crash, you don't wind up in another world of hurt when the other side's lawyers discover you had Holley's headlite-shaped trinkets in your car at the time of the crash—without spending a whack of cash, do the smart thing and get these. Described in more detail here.

As already mentioned go by Daniel Stern’s advice.
He is literally the authority on vehicle lighting.

My Dart is all LED save for the headlights and those are GE Nighthawks on relays.

I’ve spent years testing and even building LED lighting for various uses and even my trunk interior light and license plate light are LED.

View attachment 1716193098

View attachment 1716193099

View attachment 1716193100

View attachment 1716193101
What is the kit you have for the headlights?

i just avoided doing anything with headlights, and fogs lamps the law was all over it, and options seemed to involve more relays and more driver boxes etc. they looked too big to fit
i have square lamps so no funky sealed things for me.
i have hella H4s and H3 fogs/driving/DLR lamps happy with them
they stay warm don't get snowed up too much

blinkers and tail end suited a light source that mainly projected out
but I still used the sealed water proofed LEDs with a convex lens to help fill the lamp fitting

you can paint the inside of the aluminium housing with white paint as well...seems to help the full lamp glow for the red and amber lamps on your car.
needs to be a paint for aluminium/pot metal or it will just fall off

Dave

Dan discussed the othe LED lamp applications here

Or if you actually want to be smarter than the av-er-age bear and see safely at night—and have legitimate headlamps in your car so if worse comes to worst and you get in a crash, you don't wind up in another world of hurt when the other side's lawyers discover you had Holley's headlite-shaped trinkets in your car at the time of the crash—without spending a whack of cash, do the smart thing and get these. Described in more detail here.

they actuall seem reasonably priced.

or for those who want headlights that look something like a period correct lamp, but more effective, then one of the non-LED lamps can be considered.

TB. I fixed the link.
PS. I also found out the hard way that what I bought wasn't what I thought I bought.

Here's the back story on GE's sale

Last edited:
-
Back