Left and right Torsion bar

-

l6hmus

Reaction score
Hi,

Some time ago I replace my Slant6 torsion bar to V8 ones.

At that time I didn't know that there is (like some say) a difference between left and right torsion bar (according to this http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/susp/7.html)
At that moment I didn't know that, but when I installed new engine/gearbox (318 V8 and A844) I noticed that my nose is still to high (I almost didn't move at all when I dropped the engine).

Now that I know the left and right thing I checked my torsion bars:
left on has 449L and under that ANG (what is this)
right on has 448(or B)R and under that 027

I guess I installed the bars correctly but what does that ANG mean ?
And why I my car still to high off the ground.

I used these bars:
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/dcc-5249151/overview/make/plymouth/model/valiant/year/1969

Chris

Don't know what ANG means, it sounds as though you have them on the correct sides.

You probably need to loosen the adjuster in the LCA to get the ride height down. Weight off the front when doing so. Adjust them down, set it down and bounce the front a few times. May have to re-adjust again if you don't like where it's at.

Since you used .920" bars, it presumably does not matter. The .920" and larger Mopar Performance bars are supposedly the same L and R; see here:
http://www.hotrodreference.com/90/mopar-a-body-torsion-bar-size-and-part-number-reference/

I don't think you are looking at any significant numbers on the t-bar ends; I think the last 3 digits of the Mopar Performance number may be on the other end (that you cannot see).

Dumb questoin: Have you adjusted the height adjusters in the lower control arms? These are fairly stiff bars.

I installed full new front end kit from PST but didn't take pictures of the old adjuster positions so when I reinstalled all the parts I adjusted them the way I remember they were.
Maybe I adjusted them to high.
I could take some pictures of the LCA adjusters if that helps.

Chris

^^^ Right... with the larger T-bars, the adjusters will end up with different settings than with the smaller bars. So, yes, re-adjust; your new bars have a 50% higher spring rate than the old /6 bars.

(The adjusters would only end up in the same place if the T-bar clocking ended up in just a certain way, which would happen only if it they are made oddly.)

Not mentioned but when you swap torsion bars, the car has to roll 20 or 30 feet to settle the front suspension...

Ok,

I apologize in front, that this may get a bit messy, because English isn't my first language but I'll try to explain my second question:

Does this mean, that I should take the T-bars out and reset the starting point of LCA to on step lower? What I mean, is that I can take the T-bar out rise or lower the LCA and but the T-bar in to LCA?

At this moment I but the LCA so that the Uper control arm is against the frame leaver (that rubber thing), then installed the adjuster bolt and tighten it.
I have read that the LCA has to be in 10 and 2 o'clock when inserting the t-bar but I havent understand what this means.
here is a picture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbixpf0hhg9s2pc/2014-05-24 21.55.41.jpg

Do I just need to loosen the adjuster bolt and then the car should lower down ?

I am converting a 6cy to a 340 i have installed the k member, disk brakes etc..
What position should the LCA adjustment arm be in prior to inserting the stronger Torsion Bars. Does anybody know?

Do I just need to loosen the adjuster bolt and then the car should lower down ?
Yes, you should lift the car off of the ground, loosen the adjuster bolts, lower the car to the ground and push it up and down several times to see the height. Lift the car when you adjust the bolts so that the bolt threads don't get damaged.

Yes, you should lift the car off of the ground, loosen the adjuster bolts, lower the car to the ground and push it up and down several times to see the height. Lift the car when you adjust the bolts so that the bolt threads don't get damaged.

Yes, I agree. You might even need to drive it a little because the front tires tilt "in" when you jack the car off the ground and when you drop it back on the ground the tires get trapped in that tilted position. If you drive or at least roll it 10-12 back and forth the tires will again lay flat against the ground giving you a truer view of the front end height.
Good Luck....

Treblig

We just put 1" bars on our Valiant. Just Suspension said that they are the same bar, but once that they are installed, you have to keep them in that same position.

So on new ones, it doesn't matter, but if you are re-using old ones, then you need to mark which side and which end goes forward or rearward to get them back in properly.

I am converting a 6cy to a 340 i have installed the k member, disk brakes etc..
What position should the LCA adjustment arm be in prior to inserting the stronger Torsion Bars. Does anybody know?

I don't think there is any specific angle. As you install the bars from the rear through the crossmember, look at where the flats of the hex are in relation to the LCA socket and the T_bar crossmember socket. Since the T-bar crossmember is welded solid, the only angle adjustment you have is the LCA. Concentrate on lining up the hexes at the crossmember and move the LCA accordingly. Just rotate the LCA so the T-bar will slip in. You will want the adjusting screw to be backed out and the lever in the arm loose. If after pulling down on the LCA you find you need more angle, remove the bump stops and that will give you some more adjustment. Get the bar in (with grease on the hex), install the retaining ring in the rear, then adjust the car height by turning the adjusting screws. The factory bars are left and right and I don't think it matters on the factory bars which end goes where but I install them so the numbers are readable from the crossmember end.

Remove the rubber bumpers from under the upper control arms. It will make removing and installing torsionbars easier.

Ok,

I apologize in front, that this may get a bit messy, because English isn't my first language but I'll try to explain my second question:

Does this mean, that I should take the T-bars out and reset the starting point of LCA to on step lower? What I mean, is that I can take the T-bar out rise or lower the LCA and but the T-bar in to LCA? No the bar can stay in

At this moment I but the LCA so that the Uper control arm is against the frame leaver (that rubber thing), then installed the adjuster bolt and tighten it.
I have read that the LCA has to be in 10 and 2 o'clock when inserting the t-bar but I havent understand what this means.Your bar is in so you must have got it right.
here is a picture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbixpf0hhg9s2pc/2014-05-24 21.55.41.jpg

Do I just need to loosen the adjuster bolt and then the car should lower down ?This is right

-
Back