Left side lifters not pumping up with oil

-

Mopar204

Reaction score
new rebuild 408 done by myself other than machine work. Having a problem getting left side lifters to fill with oil. What would be causing this, not sure where to start.

If all the plugs were removed at time of rebuild, make sure the plug that can be viewed if you pull the distributor was reinstalled.
Yes, it is at the end of the left side lifter gallery, and would leak off pretty much all of the oil pressure on that side.

@70aarcuda Tony can tell you what positions the cam bearings line up. I can never remember. Once you know that, you can better diagnose.

Has it ever run yet or just priming it.
It has to turn over to a specific area on the bearings to oil unless it has full groove bearings.

I believe that silver68gt has found the issue. All the plugs were removed when rebuild and it was probably forgotten. I will check tomorrow and keep you guys posted

On a small block:
Turn the motor to 90* before top dead center coming up on #1 compression. The pass. side rockers should get oil.
Turn the motor to 20* after top dead center just past #6 compression. The drivers side rockers should get oil.

???? Symptoms are getting mixed up here... Cam position has no role in getting oil to the left lifter gallery.

Turns out silver68gt was right. Went to look for plug, and no plug was there. Thanks a bunch for all of your help

On a small block:
Turn the motor to 90* before top dead center coming up on #1 compression. The pass. side rockers should get oil.
Turn the motor to 20* after top dead center just past #6 compression. The drivers side rockers should get oil.

Thanks Tony! I caint ever remember that. I copied your response and added it to my technical notes.

It was on Hughes web site..i can not find it again..but i found a old post with it...lol

It was on Hughes web site..i can not find it again..but i found a old post with it...lol

It works. I used it to prime the rockers on my 331 Hemi a while back and it was spot on.

Turns out silver68gt was right. Went to look for plug, and no plug was there. Thanks a bunch for all of your help
Have fun getting it in now. Forgot that one in my teener. Not easy to put in.

Glad I could help. The only way I knew of that plug, was last week I tore my 273 down to send out to the machine shop. I'm new to this forum and habbit (hobby). Been a mechanic all my life. What I need help with is selecting the proper parts (ie: pistons, cam, intake manifold, carb and where to find them) to get what I want out of this 68 Dart. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

^^^^ Sounds like the formula for a new thread, where you start off telling what you want to do with the car (full race, just drive to get ice cream, etc.). There are a lot of good 273 threads to read up on too.

-
Back