lets benchrace me some ETs

-
thanks for all the advice guys

I have no plans on changing the gearing yet...not until after I get the 8 3/4 cleaned up, installed and "broke in" so I got a feel for it

What RPM did it make that torque?

I don't know yet, I'm going to pick the engine up on Tuesday and I expect to get the dyno sheet then

Mike did mention at 3000 RPM there was already 400 ft.lbs. on tap

14.0 I think you might find out that getting down the track ain't quite as easy as it looks.

14.0 I think you might find out that getting down the track ain't quite as easy as it looks.

that may be very true
ive never ran a car down the track myself and I understand that there are many factors that come into play (not saying that I know how to manipulate them, just that I am aware of their existence)

I'm just wondering what to expect once I do make it down there

I can tell you that my car first time out went 12.24 and later the same day went 11.74, . 76 etc.

Changes to car? shift light and limiter settings.

Basically all driving changes.

A 1/2 second difference in ET. Just driver error.

With a 7.25 rear end you will not make it out of the staging lane , diff will grenade , at least that's what happened with mine .

I can tell you that my car first time out went 12.24 and later the same day went 11.74, . 76 etc.
Changes to car? shift light and limiter settings.
Basically all driving changes.
A 1/2 second difference in ET. Just driver error.
That was a good day. Let me ask was that the cars first time out,your first time down a track,or both? This looks to be a first for the OP and the car. And thats where it really helps to have a mentor. Good trusted advice goes a long way in this sport. Way back in the 80s I took an A/A altered out to a track rental day. I had been low 11s in my door car. But the bantam was different. Nostalgia car,100"w/b,crank 24" off the ground,alky burning injected hemi,clutchflite,hand brake and parachute. And a full /15 firesuit. Nobody i knew had run any of this stuff before,myselt included. The first time the car moved under power was a high 11. 6 passes later i had my license and a 9.0@150 timeslip. The hardest parts,(besides the clutch pedal)was the burnout and backing up. The biggest help was that it was a rental day. That is the way to go for beginners. That was a good day.

With a 7.25 rear end you will not make it out of the staging lane , diff will grenade , at least that's what happened with mine .

I'm planning on babying the 7 1/4 until I get the 8 3/4 in over the winter

I got a chance to look at those numbers today,
there is 440 ft.lbs. by 2900 RPM but only 245 HP
torque peaks at 470, right at 4000 RPM and 360 HP
then torque starts to drop, and HP keeps rising
at 5450 she is making only 406 ft.lbs. and 423 HP

My first un is always slow. To get the feel, etc. If it's your first ever time, don't even look at the slips. Just get into a rythm and learn the basics. It has to be fun first and foremost.

I know nothing about converters
other then that everyone says "don't buy and off the shelf unit"

but I just don't want to fork out the money for a custom build unit

John Cope Racing. Got a custom (using build info) 3K PTC converter through him for less $ than the off the shelf B&M converter I was going to use.

I'm planning on babying the 7 1/4 until I get the 8 3/4 in over the winter

there is 440 ft.lbs. by 2900 RPM but only 245 HP
torque peaks at 470, right at 4000 RPM and 360 HP
then torque starts to drop, and HP keeps rising
at 5450 she is making only 406 ft.lbs. and 423 HP
Mine is pretty close to that 445 ft lbs @ 4400 423 hp @ 6100 , but that was with 9.9 compression ratio open chamber heads , heads were cut 60 thou so now closed chamber 55 cc 11.3 compression , was to cheap to pull and run on the dyno .
Can't wait to see what times you run , guess we will have to wait until the 8.75 gets installed , with the 7.25 you should take it easy . Hope you have decent tires , with BFG radials I smoke the tires first 200 ft . Have yet to run with the drag radials .

compression is 9.0 to 1
I'm really not sure what tires are on there
I bought the car about a year ago (or better said, the wife bought it for me) and I wasn't planning on doing anything this radical this soon
I figured I would just pull the 225 and run a 360 for a while, but when I spun a bearing in the 360 I felt my hand was forced :)

15 sec @ 109. should have invested the money into 8 3/4 and tires 1st. lol

15 sec @ 109. should have invested the money into 8 3/4 and tires 1st. lol

that was the plan, build her from the rear forward
but, since that bearing spun I figured might as well go for broken
I do have the 8 3/4 already, but it needs to be gone over, cleaned up, painted and I would like to install fresh brakes

sounds like you have a plan. I think when you get the combo sorted out.
the car should run high 11's.

That was a good day. Let me ask was that the cars first time out,your first time down a track,or both?

That was my current cars first time down the track, not my first time, sort of. It was my first time down the track in a car. I used to drag race a motorcycle.

torque peaks at 470, right at 4000 RPM

You're going to want a 4,000 - 4500 convertor if this is to be a strip car. 3500-4000 if it's a street car.

-
Back