Lets hear what questionable methods you've used to save money

-

74swingerlover

Reaction score
Myself I just pressed out my cam bearings with a socket, long extention and a hammer....... back yard style lol

I've got a few "special" tools I'm modified when i needed to. Made my own dist drive bushing removal tool, a clutch drum piston compressor for 727s, and my running stand. Sometimes you just need to improvise.

interesting with the stand. I am thinking of making one as well. only makes sense

Don't know about questionable but I do everything myself that I can. Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical, Carpentry, Installing windows, Flooring, Bass Guitar setup & repair. Nobody can respect the job being done as much as You When you do it yourself. Period!

I had a 69' 340 timing cover and when i built my 360, of course the timing tab is on the opposite side. I cut a piece of birch and ground it down to look original and epoxied it in place,painted it,located TDC and painted the timing marks on it. No cost,only time.

Glen

I needed an engine for my Barracuda, an accaquaintance had dropped off a 318 short block the year before. It was stuck and one piston was very reluctant to give up the ring stuck in it, dug it out with a screw driver. Couldn't hook a finger nail at the top of the cylinder, or on the crank, so it was "standard", never measured anything!! I didn't want to know, cuz I knew I'd end up spending money I didn't have. Just made sure everything was as clean as possible. Went 13.92 at 98 and change.

It's never questionable if it works. Unless you tell everyone about it.

I used to have a 78 buick estate wagon and I had the carb plug up on me on the far side of town. What I did to avoid a tow bill was stick a 18 ga. hypodermic needle in a vac hose at the carb, run a hose from the needle to a gas can strapped to the roof. Once I started the gas running through the hose the car would run, slobbering rich at idle and anything above just off idle it went lean to the point of stumbling, but I was able to drive it home! Not safe, not good, but it worked and it didn't cost me anything!:glasses7:

My slant six throttle cable broke 50 miles from home. I had no tools with me and didn't want to pay for a tow truck so I removed the spring on the idle screw and cranked it up all the way in, started the car (revved to 4000 rpm) and dropped it in gear. I was able to go 45 mph on the highway. When I got close to home, I had to use the residential streets (and use the brakes). The engine temp started to climb pretty fast just before I parked it in the driveway.

It was fun! Almost tought I had cruise control :D

-
Back