Votes: 9 90.0%
  • This many 5.2's

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
I'm curious how many are on here and could use some motivational pictures.

I’m on the fence with my 69 Dart.

Just pulled my slant 6 and am getting ready to drop in the 5.2 magnum.

Not sure if I’m going 4 speed yet. Just worried about getting the correct pivot on the clutch pedal.

EA80C382-4171-4046-BD0D-04792664B33C.jpeg

EB3A76E7-DFA2-4314-A52F-721096F2F2ED.jpeg

5763E72A-2012-4A2E-9130-BAB2A5168283.jpeg

DE34704F-5668-44BB-A4E8-EE6E194C5887.jpeg

What do you do for a stock engine, 5.9 flywheel?

Since it’s a 5.2 / 318,

To my understanding, I can use the stock flywheel from a 318 since it’s an externally balanced engine like the LA 318

Not sure on the 5.9 to be honest. That’s one of the main reasons I went with the 5.2, simplicity of swap

Since it’s a 5.2 / 318,

To my understanding, I can use the stock flywheel from a 318 since it’s an externally balanced engine like the LA 318
Internally balanced, yes, it’ll work!
Not sure on the 5.9 to be honest. That’s one of the main reasons I went with the 5.2, simplicity of swap
Well thanks to @skep419 !!!!! Now we know.
Thanks my friend!
:thankyou: Wooooo hooo! Magnum weight ordered.

Last edited:
Nothe " 5.2" is NOT external balance. Neither was the LA 318. The 360, both LA and magnum were but different amounts between them

D1523C8C-1306-433A-B871-34E4A1951F88.jpeg
I just bought a complete American power train tremec T56 magnum xl kit for an LS from a friend for a song and I am seriously considering putting it behind a 5.9 magnum

I want to see someone keep the Magnum EFI and swap a 4 speed. Parts are out there and I know of one person long ago that made it happen, but seems like everything else is carb'ed.

I want to see someone keep the Magnum EFI and swap a 4 speed. Parts are out there and I know of one person long ago that made it happen, but seems like everything else is carb'ed.
Crank sensor is the issue. Gotta sandwich the flexplate and machine a stock flywheel or simulate the crank signal somehow. Or run the system on a Holley and use the dual sync.

Crank sensor is the issue. Gotta sandwich the flexplate and machine a stock flywheel or simulate the crank signal somehow. Or run the system on a Holley and use the dual sync.

Exactly.

There is one company that at least used to make a 130T flywheel with the notches but I have yet see anyone ever do it. I saw one post about someone buying it, and then later selling it. And the one guy that has done it took a 143T flywheel and turned it down to fir the 130T ring gear. He is the only one I know of to use the Magnum EFI on a 4 speed.

I built crank pulley setup that I hoped would duplicate the signal since my LA couldn't run the above flywheel without a bunch of work. But I've changed directions so who knows if it would actually have even worked.

Edit - I forgot about the guy on YT that sandwiched the flywheel. So I guess there I 2 guys that have done it. That guy completely slipped my mind.

4:07 would that work?

I think this is what it would take to use the holley.

Exactly.

There is one company that at least used to make a 130T flywheel with the notches but I have yet see anyone ever do it. I saw one post about someone buying it, and then later selling it. And the one guy that has done it took a 143T flywheel and turned it down to fir the 130T ring gear. He is the only one I know of to use the Magnum EFI on a 4 speed.

I built crank pulley setup that I hoped would duplicate the signal since my LA couldn't run the above flywheel without a bunch of work. But I've changed directions so who knows if it would actually have even worked.

Edit - I forgot about the guy on YT that sandwiched the flywheel. So I guess there I 2 guys that have done it. That guy completely slipped my mind.
Where is that pulley now?

So a trigger wheel type deal. I’ve thought about calling in a favor to a machinist friend and having him cut slots in the hub of the crank pulley. Seems like some math could figure out size and spacing relative to the flexplate.

-
Back