Let's talk tools! What do you have? What couldn't you live without?

-
my air compressor and air tools....pretty simple..

the one thing i recently found i should have bought a long time ago was a cam bearing installation tool.

The mini fridge in the garage is the most important tool. Work would be at a standstill without it.:D

I agree with that too. I would do nothing in the garage if it wasn't for the fridge.

The Kegerator, Radio, and stool seem to get the most use. But don't tell my wife because she thinks I'm out there doing actual work.
26C22AD1-9E4E-4EE5-912E-61367B216CBC-2063-0000056328A5F50F.jpg

Along with all the tools mentioned,a good brand name pair of vise grips have saved me many times over the last 35 yrs.I,ve always had a good set for anywhere,anytime.

Back home I've got 90% of what I'd consider a very well-rounded Journeyman's body setup, with elements of engine tools, almost completely Snap-On..... My weakness is Snap-On tools. I've been out of the shop world for 3 years now, and just recently spied a Snap-On truck at the gas station PX down the road. It took ALL of my willpower not to step onto that truck and start buying things I couldn't afford.

What I absolutely could not live without are my Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver and my matching sets of these slip-joint pliers:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...roup_ID=675116&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

The AWP series of slip-joints are AMAZING, especially for weaving chainmail (yet another of my hobbies). The med-small size (listed) is GREAT for armor-grade mail, and the smaller ones are great for small armor-grade. For really fine jewelry-type mail, I have pairs of fine needlenose (bent and straight) that work beautifully for the job.

I am a hopeless romantic for Snap-Con tools. <3

- CK

I agree!

also, remember, jack stand ratings are for the PAIR, not for each stand...so on a 2 ton jack stand rating, dont assume a single jack stand can support 2 tons...i never knew that for the longest time. LOL
I did not know this.....thanks for the education.....

I confess to being a tool addict.. Do they have a 12 step program for that ??

It's really a 12 drawer program,...

I can do almost anything with my BFH, (Its a 4 lbs. hand sledge), the ultimate screwdriver, a pair of vice grips and a stereo...

Someone "beat" me to a BFH.
But seriously it unbelievable how usefull my American made Dewalt 4 1/2 inch grinder is. Used with a cut off wheel. I went to buy a second one for convienance so I would not have to chance to a wire wheel. NONE were made in USA. So I scrapped the idea.
Also must have a wire feed.

Hand tools?
Ratcheting combo wrenches on the cars.
And at my work my Snap On ratching screw driver.

Air tools and Hammers.Even though a lot of my tools are Snap on.
Get some quality air tools and you can not go wrong with Ingersol-Rand air tools.
The orange hammer I bought from Mac Tools 15 years ago and just recently replaced after I finally broke it...Of course they replaced it free...
The 2.5lb baby sledge gets used regularly as well.

Attachments

• 20130116_165445.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 248
  • 20130116_165508.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 20130116_170316.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 251
I think the main thing is orginizing the tools you have. Buy a good tool box that allows you to find everything. I use to just pile all my wrenches on top of them selves because I didn't have enough room. Over the year my tool box got bigger and more organized. I know money for me was a key factor.

It took me quit a long time to get this far, start small and work your way up.
I could still use more room, again!!

Nicely organized! Tool storage is a very important part of of you tool arsenal. toolmanmike

At 64 and with my arthritis, THIS is the single most important tool I own:

I don't have a shop, so built a steel frame to erect it outdoors

id9n5w.jpg

Second most important:

24xm4k7.jpg

Air, ratchet, 3/8" impact, 1/2" impact, and an old beat-up IR 3/4" impact

DEFINATELY a swivel head ratchet

Then are MIG, torch, plasma cutter

"Handy to have", and I'm no machinist are my lathe(s) and Jet drill/ mill

SB 9"

attachment.php

I,ve boosted many cars,trucks,snowmobiles,ATV,s with my battery pack,I,ve even plugged a trouble light into it for light while fixing a car in a field at night.I own 2 now,one for home and one for in my truck.

I,ve boosted many cars,trucks,snowmobiles,ATV,s with my battery pack,I,ve even plugged a trouble light into it for light while fixing a car in a field at night.I own 2 now,one for home and one for in my truck.

What brand do you recommend? I've had a couple (black and decker and energizer?) and they broke after a few uses.

I don't know how many times I've referred to a specialized tool and said "it's the best money I've spent." Even the ones I've built myself because they weren't available at the times I've needed 'em or they were too pricey to do a job just once or twice.

My nephew is just starting out in diesel. I'm keep telling him that the best thing is to make a purchase of quality hand tools and basic quality air tools. Don't waste money on junk even though the price may be better. Then get into the more specialized tools from there as the job requires.

Big boxes are fine - later on, as you have the money. But it's the tools which earn the money. As a kid just starting out, like my nephew, he'd be better off spending the money on tools he needs rather than laying out all that money to buy an empty box with no tools to put in it.

Yep,...start with a used, swap meet, box,...or chec CL,...The BIG NEW SHINY box will come when the time is right and all yer other stuff is paid for...

Another recommendation I would make is a tap and die set. This has saved my behind on many occasions. I remember when stores were not open Sundays. Trying to install and engine and the exhaust manifold stud breaks. Tap and die to the rescue.

These....and a RBFH

All LOL aside, not just a RBFH, but check out "dead blow" hammers.

These are especially useful when, like me, your arthritis ramps up, or you are in a bad position to swing, or hitting something moveable like a balky tie rod end. These hammers transfer MUCH more energy into the work.

These work by having a hollow head, partially filled with lead? shot. When you swing and hit, the lead comes forward and prevents bounce. You can easily see the difference, by tapping a similar sized standard hammer, and a dead blow on concrete. The standard hammer will bounce, the dead blow will not

skt-9326.gif

i d have to say of all the tools i have...my favorite is the only one thats ever sent me to the hospital. an elctric craftsman grinder-cut off monster. that things never let me down and i m pretty hard on it. it bit me once, with a cut off wheel, but i d still say it s the one tool i like the best. #2 would be my wire welder

My Fiance just got me this for Christmas and it is awesome! It's a 12 volt, handheld impact driver. I got it to replace my old black and decker handheld power driver, and what a difference! I had no idea the impact mechanism would make such a difference in a driver. It's a great tool, I can't recommend it enough.

Attachments

• Makita Impact Driver.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 216
-
Back