Lien/Hold on Dodge Dart 75

-
When was the car last titled?? I'm trying to figure out how it doesn't show the lien. If a Lien is put on property, the Title has to reflect it. Did the P.O. somehow have a 2nd title to give up to the Lien holder. Something just doesn't add up here!! You have a clear title to the Car, You have the car You should be able to register it and retitle it etc...

I wish I was a Lawyer, I would come fight everyone about this for free.

How old is the lien? They are good for 10 years and then the lien holder has to re file, most people don't. You should be able to find out if PO ever file bankruptcy. If he did the debt could have been forgiven and the debtor is just fishing for bucks. Find out all you can and if its been a few years offer them 20 cents on the dollar. Hey you could find a clean shell and transfer your parts. Last time I was at dessert valley auto had some clean duster shells for sale. Hope you get iy worked out.

If you owe me money from anthing, i can file a lien on your personal property (car. I need the vin #) and you may never know about it until its sold. You need a lawyer.

If you owe me money from anthing, i can file a lien on your personal property (car. I need the vin #) and you may never know about it until its sold.
I just find that very hard to believe. There's a legal process that has to take place. Someone can't just come along and put liens on your stuff with notifying you and giving you a chance to avoid the lien by paying the debt.

You need a lawyer
I do agree with this. Except now the O.P. will be spending more of his hard earned money. I believe What he needs is a Louisville Slugger.

See what you can do about a out of state title, get a P.O. Box, and do the damn thing. Seems the most economical way to deal with this.

How old is the lien? They are good for 10 years and then the lien holder has to re file, most people don't. You should be able to find out if PO ever file bankruptcy. If he did the debt could have been forgiven and the debtor is just fishing for bucks. Find out all you can and if its been a few years offer them 20 cents on the dollar. Hey you could find a clean shell and transfer your parts. Last time I was at dessert valley auto had some clean duster shells for sale. Hope you get iy worked out.

That varies state to state. Here as long as the title is in the system so is the lien. We have a loophole where you can file a storage/mechanics lien and get a lien free title because it will erase any and every lien.

When was the car last titled?? I'm trying to figure out how it doesn't show the lien. If a Lien is put on property, the Title has to reflect it. Did the P.O. somehow have a 2nd title to give up to the Lien holder. Something just doesn't add up here!! You have a clear title to the Car, You have the car You should be able to register it and retitle it etc...

I wish I was a Lawyer, I would come fight everyone about this for free.

In CA you don't get the original title if there is a lien on your vehicle. The original goes to the lienholder.

He may have had a title that was prior to the lien. You usually have to surrender any title in your possession when a lien is attached. Did the lienholder request it? Could it be related to a child support issue. I could see them not negotiating on that type of lien.

This is part of the reason I ask are there any liens/encumbrances and have them sign as much on a bill of sale. If there are liens, you can then walk into a PD with the info and file charges.

Stinks about the mess the OP is in.

While this just stinks... and sucks for the OP..... I am glad it is on this site... I just learned something and I feel many others have too... good insight here. Thanks for expanding my knowledge....

-RPM

Then you are out of $1800.

The lien company has an easy pickup. But the car to them is only worth what they think they can sell it for minus their labor dealing with it. Unless it's worthless. And I wouldn't tell them where the car is. Start working on the car because it's drastically overheating now and take the radiator out. Take the carb and distributor off because it may be causing the overheating. Right now you are confused and still investigating what is going on. Once you figure out what is going on, you of course stop working since it's not your car.

"Aw shucks", now the lienholding company has to send a $100 tow truck to come get the car. Pay storage, pay $800 to get car running again to make it a $1000 car. Or scrap it for what, $300 after tow bill? OR you'll pay the leinholder $200 to release the title.

I wonder think if the lien holder removes the lein on the car, that will not allow them to go after the guy for the $1800 or any remaining money if you make a partial payment.

I'd part it out before taking $1700 or $1800 in the shorts.

If they go after the seller, he will just say he spent the money. I bet the court could make you pay off the lienholder in full so you can title the car, then YOU would have to get the money from seller by YOU holding another lien on him. He will never pay it. Same situation all over again.

Convenient that the selling price was very close to the lien amount. Now if the seller is dragged into court he could say he was trying to pay the lien off. But aw shucks, he had immediate emergency needs for the money and now it is gone.

This was no accident by the seller. It was all well planned out.

I agree....

Had this happen to me 20 years ago. I bought a PU truck from a local for $1500. It had a
clean title. Took it to DMV and titled it in my name. 6 months later i'm at work, wife calls and says a tow truck was there to get the car. I rush home and tell the driver he's not taking the truck. I called 911 and told the dispatch that there may be some problems (the tow truck driver's problem) and to send an officer to my address. The tow truck driver left empty handed. I immediately took the truck to the military installation I worked at (I was in the army at that time) and secured it there. Did some reaserch and was able to contact the bank that was attempting to recover the vehicle.

Had a PI stop by the house a week later. He was acting as an agent for the bank. Invited him in and we, my wife and I sat and chatted. During the conversation he adjusted his sport coat to reveal a side arm which appeared to be a .38. I'm sure to this day he did it to try and intimidate me. I immediately excused myself to go to the bathroom, went into the bedroom and came back out with my holstered .45. Told him mine was bigger and that I was probably a better shot. Told him I didn't appriciate him coming into my house armed without me knowing it. End of conversation, he didn't stay long after that.

Long story short the bank also had a clear title showing the bank as the legal owner. I went and talked with the bank manager. Apparently the guy I bought the truck from filed for a lost title. The DMV screwed up by not correctly showing the legal owner of the vehicle.

Went to court. I had all my receipts from all the work I did to the truck. New engine, tranny, wheels, tires upolstery etc. Judge told the bank they could have the truck minus what I had into it which pretty much meant they owed me. The day before I started removing all the parts the bank called. They appologized for the misunderstanding and would send me a released title. Got the title in the mail and made a trip to the DMV where the records were corrected in their system.

As for the puke that sold me the truck, found he was a local drunk so I figured no sense in trying to bleed a turnip by going after him.

Bottom line, try and work it out with the lien holder. If that doesn't work you may have to consider cutting your loses, gert what yo can out of it and let the hulk go.

So what you are telling the OP is to do a VIN and title swap to get himself thrown in jail for committing a crime, Nice recommendation.

So what's your solution to the problem??? Smartypants....

We're just trying to throw out ideas to possibly save a good Mopar from going to waste.

We're just trying to throw out ideas to possibly save a good Mopar from going to waste.

I would part the car rather than switch a VIN as you are telling him to do. IT IS A CRIME YOU KNOW.

I will also add that no member here can trust buying a car from you with these comments of VIN swaps and thinking it is ok.

I will also add that no member here can trust buying a car from you with these comments of VIN swaps and thinking it is ok.

That's ok. I don't sell my cars. I fix them right and keep them. :glasses7:

Maybe I should buy yours....NOT!!! :finga:

Go drink some water out of the River Raisin... :finga:

That's ok. I don't sell my cars. I fix them right and keep them. :glasses7:

Maybe I should buy yours....NOT!!! :finga:

Go drink some water out of the River Raisin... :finga:

Drop by anytime. No need to drink the water I will offer you a beer.

In my state its against the law to sell a car you dont own, and a lein means someone else is the owner bank etc. Press charges on him get the police or a cheap lawyer involved Ide spend more than the cars worth just to teach him a lesson.

Ya'll be cool......lookin good to the people lookin is one thing but savin that car is something any of us would do if we could so no pointin fingers........

the collection company is full of it, they own the lien, they can right it off for whatever they want. earlyer i had recommended lawyer, judge, yada yada. now i'm onboard with parting the car out and just make it disappear.

count up how many days you've had the car. do a rough estimate of what storage places around you charge. when you get to $1700 worth of storage slap a lien on the lien holder. personally, i'd find out who owns the company. find out what car HE owns and slap a lien on that for the $1700.
maybe then they'll negotiate a swap

good luck

I am no lawyer, but wouldn't parting out a car you don't own be as much of a crime as re"vin"ing it ?

If I had a lien on a car and found out someone was parting it out I would press charges.

I think negotiating with the lien holder is the only option here,

I am no lawyer, but wouldn't parting out a car you don't own be as much of a crime as re"vin"ing it ?

If I had a lien on a car and found out someone was parting it out I would press charges.

I think negotiating with the lien holder is the only option here,
Not sure on that but he has went to the lein holder and they wont come pick the car up from him. They want money from him to clear the title but are not after the car so my thought would be after he told them where the car is and it was not recovered by the lien holder he has a right to claim the car for the storage and part it being they dont want it and wont clear the title.

count up how many days you've had the car. do a rough estimate of what storage places around you charge. when you get to $1700 worth of storage slap a lien on the lien holder. personally, i'd find out who owns the company. find out what car HE owns and slap a lien on that for the $1700.
maybe then they'll negotiate a swap

'zactly what I was thinking, except I'd wait till it was about $2500, and see if you can't get a couple hundred for dealing with such kind and understanding people.:toothy8:

Ok everybody here is the update!
I talk to two lawyers, and two separate Police/Sheriff Offices here in Arizona, They all informed me that this is a CIVIL matter, and they cannot help me with the situation. They said this is a buyer beware concern, and that I should have ran the VIN as a civilian through the local MVD/DMV/ office to see if there was a salvaged or lien hold on vehicle before buying.
I also was finally able to get ahold of the S.O.B who sold me the car, I told him to give me my money back or we are going to civil small claims court. That was August 11, haven’t heard from him since!
So I am back at square one, waiting to see if Private Lien Company will work a deal out, or if owner of car will give me back my money, or buy a shell of a car from DVAP and take parts off this one and place it on the new one. (Just not sure if that is legal, due to the fact I do not personally own the car yet!).
So Mopar world beware of clean titles, run the VIN as a civilian before buying or have the seller meet you at the MVD/DMV to transfer title in your name before giving them the money. This would have been my first classic to work on, now I need to find another to work on to go with my Mopar collection, and take an $1800 hit to the pocket book. I was informed that this happens a lot to buyers, so spread the word.
Who knows maybe this will all work out in the end, I am a strong believer in Karma, what goes around comes around.
Thanks again for all the advice from everybody
Van Leer Mopars

-
Back