Lifter Tick

-

JohnnyJet

Reaction score
Ok what is the quick but best fix for a ticking lifter. Im pumpin out 60 pounds of oil pressure at 3000 rpm so I dont think its the oil pump, Im runnin 20w-50 oil. Any Help is appreciated , I think rods and lifters may be in order.

360 w/ edelbrock intake, purple cam , tti headers and J heads

If your lifter tick is something that started after a prolonged parking spree, i.e. winter in NY, try changing to 10/30 and adding a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil. If that doesn't do the trick in 500 miles or less, you may have a more serious problem. If the car has been continuously driven enough to keep the lifters full of oil, and the tick has just started, you may have a timing chain problem. Ma Mopar cast a thin piece of stamped steel into the front cover that looks like a Chebbie timing pointer. For years I wondered what this was for until a customer brought in a Dakota with a lifter tick that wouldn't go away. After pulling the intake and checking each lifter, I decided to pull the cam and check it. When I pulled the front cover off, I noticed that the little timing mark was buggered up, and sure enough, the timing chain had way too much slack. Changed the chain and gears and the lifter tick went away. Hope this helps.

Belive it or not it started after I installed headers and changed the oil inadvertently to 5-30. Changed back to 20-50 after 300 miles and have been driving it with 20-50 for about 60 miles now and like a timex its still ticking.

you sure your headers are sealing correctly?

I had lifter tick in a work truck added a quart of automatic transmission fluid to the oil ran it for about an hour then change oil ticking went away. But I would first rule out the headers.

I heard it myself. It is as described.

Determine which side its on, pull the valve cover, use a wooden handle and lean on the susected lifter via the rocker, I`ll bet it will pump up and quit ticking....! old school but works...! :thumbup: ps do this while its running.

Not to beat the dead horse but I also chased what I thought was a lifter tick. It turned out to be a loose header bolt.

im am 100% its not the headers , Rumble can back me up on this. Now about the spoon trick...isnt the oil gonn get everywhere?

oil everywhere - the price you pay for information somedays - have idle as low as you can and still run, have lots of rags for cleanup, plastic cover sheets etc.

"Good lifter hunting"

JohnnyJet said:
im am 100% its not the headers , Rumble can back me up on this. Now about the spoon trick...isnt the oil gonn get everywhere?
Try cutting the top out of an old valve cover.

problem solved, just change the one rod that was a lil short up to the next length and poof no mo tap.

BTW they make metal clips that stop the oil from pissin all over and you run the motor sans valve cover to hera where the TAP is coming from. Thats how I solved my problem. Anyone wanna race!?

Where did you get these metal clips? Local parts store? What brand? Got a lifter (I think lifter) tick I want to diagnose, and these would help!

are you running MPP lifters? I have them with the same problem. Actually been hearing A LOT of people with the MPP lifters having this.

Where did you get these metal clips? Local parts store? What brand? Got a lifter (I think lifter) tick I want to diagnose, and these would help!

This thread is 3 years old Beatnik, you may want to start a new thread listing your problem.

Terry

This may not be your case but I had a lifter ticking at start up. I changed to 20w50, still there. I added a little sea-foam to see if it would free it up, nothing. Turned out to be the crappy a$$ Fram filter I was using. After hearing all of the bad comments about Fram I decided to change it out. I put on a Mopar filter and low and behold the ticking stopped. I let the Fram filter drain overnight. I went and picked it up and could hear something rattling around inside of it. I'm going to cut it open and see what came lose.

I was searcing this topic and ran across this thread! Didnt realize it was that old! Doh!

Anyway, thanks for the input and maybe I'll just hi-jack this thread for a little bit?

I heard good things about SeaFoam and ATF for this issue. Just got back from the store w/ SeaFoam. Never tried it before but thought what the heck. Didnt help. But I did put some down the carb and in the tank, and I will say, my engine does run smoother now. Idle and throttle response seem to be better. I didnt blow alot of carbon out up on re-start, but that was to be expected, my engine didnt have much build up when I tore it down last year. I'd say good product all in all. Just didnt free up my lifter, at least not right away.

I'm going to try 1/2 qt of ATF next. If that doesnt free it up, off come the covers and probably intake for a look-see.

Galactic - I'm using a Fram filter right now! Yikes...I"ll change that out too. I've got a nice new Jobber filter from Hughes for my next oil change, which I"ll do now anyway. Let us know what was in it rattling around!?

-
Back