Lightweight lithium ion battery

-

bignasty123

Reaction score
Anyone ever used one seem light and cool? If u have post expierance and how did it act in pits like cool down I have altenator .but run water pump and fans for a few after passes

Friend put one in his dragster and it quit charging at 13 or 14 months old. When the car got put up early, last fall, he wasn't happy. I don't remember the name of the battery company, so I can't point fingers.

We use a Lithium Pros 16V light weight battery. Has an onboard computer to protect itself from over/under voltage. Turns our 816" motor over better than the previous 16V AGM batteries.
Gets charged after each pass, but does run the fan/water pump and ignition. No problems yet...weighs in at 11 lbs.

I shouldnt say it on this site, but its a Ford Hemi motor. We run Top Sportsman with it. We have a 825" motor going together now actually. Should make another 100-150hp or so.

I have two 12 volt lithium pro batteries and each weighs just over 5 lbs. I had one go bad. And Kevin asked for the serial number, gave me warrenty and shipped a new one. Good guys that stand by their product.

Look up "White Zombie Datsun" on youtube if you wanna see what lithium ion can do. lol

If weight is your concern I'd probably do some basic exercise and maybe see if the car has any extra items it doesn't need. Just my opinion, I'm cheap.

I use lipo batteries on my bicycle, I have 4 packs of 6s 5a hooked up 2 in paralell the, the 2 packs hooked in series, giving me approx 49v with 10amps, to get my bicycle to go almost 30mpg and a little over 10 miles in distance.
the thing with lipo is, you don't want to run down to 0 volts, since each of these 6s batteries are 6 cells, you charge maximun of about 4.1v per cell and discharge to no less than 3.6v per cell. If you run a lipo battery down below 3.0v per cell, you risk a fire that you can't put out. Also if you want longevity in you battery pack keep it between 3.6v and 4.1v, and you can charge them around 1000 times.
I have given you experience in the bicycle world, in an auto, four 6s batteries can give you about 24v with 20amps, if you hook all 4 batteries in paralell, that might be too much for your needs, as I buy these 6s cells from a hobby shop at about $45 per single 6s battery. If you want around 14v, just get 3s batteries, should be around $20 each.

If weight is your concern I'd probably do some basic exercise and maybe see if the car has any extra items it doesn't need. Just my opinion, I'm cheap.

My 270 lb muscular body type doesn't help either. Just asking general question to see if lightweight battery's are worth the money.

My 270 lb muscular body type doesn't help either. Just asking general question to see if lightweight battery's are worth the money.

I understand, I have nothing but budget built stuff. I personally couldn't justify the extra money for maybe 10lbs? If this is for the car in your avatar I bet you can find that weight in other places. Just my opinion, take it as you may

It is the car in avatar, I'm probably gonna do glass bumpers, and aluminum wheels that should shed a lot I hope

I've seen some of these Lithium Ions for under $150.

They look to be in the same box as the Braille's and other high $$ units.

Are these $$$ units just sticker repackage deals for easy profit??

Phantom Battery
Shorai Battery

$169: 18 Ah, 270 CCA, L = 5.83”, W = 2.28”, H = 3.50”, 2.31 lbs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/APP18L1-BS1...8L1-BS12-/110931870809?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

$199: 5.5 lbs 12V 21Ah 315CCA: http://www.ebay.com/itm/APP21L6-BS1...X21L6-BS-/120964610581?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Shorai-Lithium-Batt-18Ah-LFX18A1-BS12/dp/B007GR5DXE/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1"]Amazon.com: Shorai Inc Lithium Batt 18Ah 12V Eq,"A"1 LFX18A1-BS12: Automotive[/ame]

LFX36L3-BS12, $270, 5.5 pounds, 7.7 x 5.7 x 8 inches, 18AH, read review that it's listed at 520 CCA, other review tested it at 1000 CCA on load tester: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Shorai-LFX36L3-BS12-Extreme-Lithium-Powersports/dp/B005FIUMOG/ref=pd_sbs_auto_6"]Amazon.com: Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 Extreme Rate Lithium Iron Powersports Battery: Automotive[/ame]

At the LA Roadster show in June a battery shop was selling these for car at around $200. He said they did fine for cars with no accessories.

That Shorai is only 550 CCA. NOt sure idf that will cut it. Mine is 650 and it grunts on a hot start sometimes if I don't use the 20 deg start retard. Price is decent though.

I'd love to see these at a car show or something so you can buy from a rep.

All I need it to do is run to a few local car shows, and down the drag strip. I run alt, 2 ele.fans, holley black and thats about it and maybe lights , ign...u know what I mean. I have a walmart 550ccr and never have issues.

That Shorai is only 550 CCA. NOt sure idf that will cut it. Mine is 650 and it grunts on a hot start sometimes if I don't use the 20 deg start retard. Price is decent though.

I'd love to see these at a car show or something so you can buy from a rep.

Ok. I talked to the battery rep. today at the Grand National Roadster Show that was selling the Phantom battery I saw in the past.

Then, I learned my lesson....

The Phantom and Shorai are made in China. They are made by the same place. There may be other label brands that also sell these.

These batteries are NOT designed to cycle for use in automobiles. Cycle means the ability to be discharged or go low on charge and recharged by the alternator. They are good for basic motorcycles, jet skis, and stuff that really has no load while running with the battery is just used to start an electric starter. He mentioned a big Harley Davidson with a radio, headsets, and all the do-dads that had one of these cheaper Li-Ion's that failed. Could probably get away with them in a racecar with no headlight, radio, heater blower, A/C draws that gets recharged constantly.

The Braille Li-Ion batteries are made in the US. And they are not related in any way to the Shorai Li-Ion's. They can take a tremendous amount of Cycles far far more than a traditional wet lead battery or AGM even.

AGM Odyssy cost $150 and can take 400 cycles. $150/400cycles = $.375/cycle

Equivalant Braille cost $500 and can take 2000 cycles. $500/2000cycles = $.25/cycle

Basically a Braille is going to last way longer. The theory is that you will buy and replace 4 or more AGM's in the same period of one Braille battery's lifetime.

That was his sales justification. Just passing it along. I personally could not justify the $500 initial cost.

Ill just get some fiberglass front and rear bumpers for all that...lol

One thign about the braille batteries is they don't breathe and can be mounted in any position but I can't justify the cost to save the weight or have the added convinience of no battery box.

lithium ion batteries of all types have one major weakness: if you run them down too low they will not take a charge.

so most cell phones have built-in protections to power down when the charge gets low.

it sounds like curleysracecars above has one for the dragster that is protected from running too low... that sounds like your best bet.

^^^ The L series batteries from Lithium Pros, actually have these onboard computers in them as well. They protect from under or over voltage, and over/under charging.
We run the L1600 in our car. Only $1600 with a charger. :)

-
Back