Limited Slip Problem?

-

Agent_Orange

Reaction score
I've got this gremlin. a rear end gremlin. or I think it is anyhow.

I have a 318 with a 727 and 7 1/4 rear end with limited slip.

recently I've had this issue when taking off, my car wants to rev up and not be in a hurry to go anywhere. I originally thought this to be an issue with my Torque Converter. but I'm not sure, because once it does begin to engage, I hear this muted screech come from the rear end. Where I began to only hear this in corners, its beginning to happen more frequent. My question is, does anyone out there in FABO world think this could be an issue where my limited slip is not disengaging? if so is there an easy fix, or is this a sign to rebuild another rear end I have laying around.

7.25 SG are clutched so you can rebuild them. Sounds like a trans issue to me. driveshaft applies torque directly to the ring gear which is bolted to the carrier. Even if the clutches were shot, you would still get 1:1 from carrier to one axle assuming they are both on the ground. I would check fluid first.

7.25 SG are clutched so you can rebuild them. Sounds like a trans issue to me. driveshaft applies torque directly to the ring gear which is bolted to the carrier. Even if the clutches were shot, you would still get 1:1 from carrier to one axle assuming they are both on the ground. I would check fluid first.

I would agree, if a sure grip goes out you still have a peg leg.

Whatever issues the sure grip has, has nothing to do with why the car hesitates starting off. Sounds like you may have more than one problem.

check your brakes for dragging ,bad pb cables

Some trannys are more of a problem than others.

Attachments

• TRANNY TROUBLE.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 181
i said limited slip, i ment single track. does that change anything. The tranny is a TCI 727 streetfighter and i can't remember the TC rating. but it's not radical. Now the hesitation i mentioned isn't from the engine. it revs just fine. It's more of a hesitation to apply the created power to the wheels. But once the power does begin to hit the pavement, there is an awkward sound that comes from (what sounds like) the rear end.

When the trans filter gets clogged up the trans will slip and make a screeching noise when the fluid is trying to be drawn thru it. You might want to check that.

i said limited slip, i ment single track. does that change anything

You essentially have a direct drive to that one axle, pinion gear to ring gear to axle.

Unless you have been beating on it mercilessly I would think your problem is elsewhere.

When the trans filter gets clogged up the trans will slip and make a screeching noise when the fluid is trying to be drawn thru it. You might want to check that.

Thanks bud, i will check that out. i want to check my front band anyhow.

Sounds like 2 possible issues; the revving up with no moving (as I read your 1 symptom description) could be the trannie. OR, the splines into the differential are stripped off of one axle shaft, or some carrier gear teeth arae stipped. If you have a non-LSD (open) diff, then these would cause the slippage.

Not sure what you mean by 'hearing it first in the corners'....do you mean when the car is moving under power or starting from a stop in a corner? That could also be a sign of stripped splies on one axle shaft. Pull all of the fluid from the rear pumpkin with a suction gun and see if there are metal bits in it; especially get the stuff from the very bottom. Or, better yet, pull the pumpkin cover after sucking the old axle fluid out. If you find metal bits, pull both axle shafts and inspect the splines. (I would do that anyway; it is not hard.)

You could see stripped axle splines, or some sign of something spinning around on the axle splines; there should never be anything spinning on these splines; if so, and the splines are intact, then the matching splines on the side gear in the diff carrier are stripped out.

And without any damage to either splines, then the teeth on the side or small pinion gears could be stripped off; that you can see with the rear cover removed.

No auto x.. Yet. I need to get the rear end taken care of first! I need to get at and order new axels for my 8.75.

So have looked in your rear end yet? (Don't take that the wrong way...please! LOL) Has it been subjected to some 'spirited use'?

If you have a open diff and one axle is stripped, you're walking and all forward movement ceases to exist anymore.

If you have a open diff and one axle is stripped, you're walking and all forward movement ceases to exist anymore.
X2

I think its time to drop the tranny pan and see if there is any UFOs
unidentified fried objects.
Kickdown adjusted properly?

When the engine revs up, do you get white/blue smoke and screeching from the right rear of the car before it starts to move?:burnout:

When my 7 1/4 let go after a week of use, it started jumping, and binding when you took a corner. It broke the spider gear shaft.

Good point (but not if it's partly stripped and it catching sometimes and not other times). My point is that something is probably stripped out/damaged in the rear axle rather than the trannie, based on the symptoms of this starting originally in corners and sounding like it is comong from the rear. I'd be pulling the rear diff cover before the trannie pan.

-
Back