Line bore = cracked convertor??

-
Yup, you need to check the runout with the transmission you plan on using.

Finally my car is whole again!!!
It has been a long three months now, funds were limited, but the trans is back in the car and performing flawlessly. The problem ended up that the hub on the convertor was welded off center by .20 or .28 thou. off center. (And no I didn’t feel any vibrations, solid motor mounts on the car). I have had the car going for about two days now, have made several hard, winding out full throttle pulls on the highway, and also dropped to second gear multiple times from about 50 mph, and spun the motor to about 5500 with no problems. I had PTC do the work that J&W racing tried two different times, and PTC did a wonderful job. The welds look like a machine welded them, and the convertor has a lot less weight for the balance now. Just thought I’d let all yall know.

I could tell the thrust was out of spec on my engine by simply pushing and pulling on the harmonic balancer (but this was in a 4 speed car).

when you line bore the block it still SHOULD be centered...

i would look at the thrust of the crank...

you could throw a manual bell on it and just use that to measure to see if it "wobbles"...

could the flex plate be on backwards causing it to shove the converter into the pump?

N, I believe the line bore moves the centerline of the crank toward the deck. Thats why good timing chains can be had undersized for line bored motors. Not much, but it does move it. Offset bushings would solve it. Hamburger makes offsets that rotate off center so you can dial them in. Sometimes necessary for manual trans motors.

N, I believe the line bore moves the centerline of the crank toward the deck. Thats why good timing chains can be had undersized for line bored motors. Not much, but it does move it. Offset bushings would solve it. Hamburger makes offsets that rotate off center so you can dial them in. Sometimes necessary for manual trans motors.

Well it wasnt a line bore issue, it was a poorly built convertor.

Kenny Ford at PTC is a mopar man and knows his stuff

Finally my car is whole again!!!
It has been a long three months now, funds were limited, but the trans is back in the car and performing flawlessly. The problem ended up that the hub on the convertor was welded off center by .20 or .28 thou. off center. (And no I didn’t feel any vibrations, solid motor mounts on the car). I have had the car going for about two days now, have made several hard, winding out full throttle pulls on the highway, and also dropped to second gear multiple times from about 50 mph, and spun the motor to about 5500 with no problems. I had PTC do the work that J&W racing tried two different times, and PTC did a wonderful job. The welds look like a machine welded them, and the convertor has a lot less weight for the balance now. Just thought I’d let all yall know.
Glad to hear you found the problem without having to dissassemble your tranny or your spare for that matter.:laughing:I had cracked my high dollar Coan 8 inch 4500 convertor and had to have a new snout re-welded on.No problems with my trans since.:toothy7:

Solid motor mounts do not belong on the street. 5,500 rpm's isn't that much. I would swap motor mounts before it cracks again--or something else cracks

Glad to hear you found the problem without having to dissassemble your tranny or your spare for that matter.:laughing:I had cracked my high dollar Coan 8 inch 4500 convertor and had to have a new snout re-welded on.No problems with my trans since.:toothy7:

Hmmm, I got around 5,000 miles on my TCI streetfighter converter which did not fit in the crank all the way ? We had to grind the snout to fit--it went in but not far enough. Had no problems with it and TCI is not liked on here too much, maybe I got lucky ?

I also put new rubber motor mounts on the 340 at the time and buzz it to 6,500 a few times and over 6,000 all of the time. It spins over 4,000 on the freeways with 3.91 gears and goes 75 to 80 once on the freeway

Hmmm, I got around 5,000 miles on my TCI streetfighter converter which did not fit in the crank all the way ? We had to grind the snout to fit--it went in but not far enough. Had no problems with it and TCI is not liked on here too much, maybe I got lucky ?

I also put new rubber motor mounts on the 340 at the time and buzz it to 6,500 a few times and over 6,000 all of the time. It spins over 4,000 on the freeways with 3.91 gears and goes 75 to 80 once on the freeway
At the time I had an unbalanced driveshaft causing all kinds of driveline issues.I snapped spring perches off,also cracked the bajeebles out of my trans housing,which I believe caused a chain reaction to the torque convertor.:violent1:Got it all fixed up now.
View attachment Racing the 66 Dart 034.jpg

View attachment Racing the 66 Dart 036.jpg

-
Back