Lithiun Ion Battery Caution

-
I just bought a Earthx lithium iron phosphate battery. So far it's great. It has a battery management system and is the first liFePo4 battery approved by the FAA. Also just won Indy this year in the Penske car. Also, it only weights 4.9lbs ,is 6.5x6.6x3" and is local.

View attachment 1715398397

View attachment 1715398398

And fits inside a fake battery box I made

View attachment 1715398399

View attachment 1715398402
Are you using the ETX900 version? What starter are you using and how would you rate engine cranking? Eyeballing that model myself so any insight greatly appreciated

Are you using the ETX900 version? What starter are you using and how would you rate engine cranking? Eyeballing that model myself so any insight greatly appreciated

I'm using the etx1200. I started with a etx900 but upgraded to the 1200. Not because of the battery though. The 900 worked and cranked just fine. But I figured with ECU, CDI, TCM, stereo/sub, etc and most importantly the ford contour fans...I'd want a little more. The contour fans can spike up to 50 amps on start up. They settle in at ~15 amps running. So I upped to the 120 amp battery and alternator. I'm running a Dakota mini starter. Both the 900 and 1200 spin my 10.8:1 414 stroker without hesitation.

I'm using the etx1200. I started with a etx900 but upgraded to the 1200. Not because of the battery though. The 900 worked and cranked just fine. But I figured with ECU, CDI, TCM, stereo/sub, etc and most importantly the ford contour fans...I'd want a little more. The contour fans can spike up to 50 amps on start up. They settle in at ~15 amps running. So I upped to the 120 amp battery and alternator. I'm running a Dakota mini starter. Both the 900 and 1200 spin my 10.8:1 414 stroker without hesitation.
Was thinking the 900 would suffice, as all I will need to power when cranking the Dakota mini starter is a Carter electric fuel pump and Crane HI-6N ignition, with 60 amp alternator. Old school minimalist setup. Strictly for drag strip use here, not really intending additional loads. Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I run a lot of electric RC cars. All lithium batties and I keep them in a ammo box for a reason... And in my garage.

my phone in an otter box has a old battery and every charger makes it go into thermal shutdown, hot as F when you take it out of its case.

I run a lot of electric RC cars. All lithium batties and I keep them in a ammo box for a reason... And in my garage.

my phone in an otter box has a old battery and every charger makes it go into thermal shutdown, hot as F when you take it out of its case.

There's a big safety difference between liFePO4 and RC/cell phone lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries.

There's a big safety difference between liFePO4 and RC/cell phone lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries.
I used Ballistic brand liFePO4 batteries (back in 2010-1013) on a couple of motorcycles with no issues, same misconceptions back then as today. Being struck by lightening, winning the lottery or getting Covid more likely than having an issue with one of these type batteries IMO:eek:

Just got my EarthX ETX900, plenty of cautionary advice on the box (as well on their website and various articles) that’s simple to understand and be aware off as to be a nonissue. Weighs 4.13 lbs (35 lb savings over group 24 battery being replaced) and ootb resting voltage was 13.46 volts. Engine comes to life pretty quickly. Will post ASAP when it leaks blue goo, explodes, catches on fire etc:rolleyes:

2AB99577-B33B-4A16-BE3C-143E6190A6E1.jpeg

1103C5AA-080B-4547-B590-312080D1B64B.jpeg

76D7B8E3-BEAE-4614-B717-436B5E6279B8.jpeg

EF2857A0-4EB3-4610-B153-8CD913969646.jpeg

D120B4CC-26F4-465B-9DBE-3B7D8CDCE78C.jpeg

Last edited:
https://earthxbatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Kitplanes.Article_1217.pdf Here’s a very good in-depth article on EarthX and the type of Lithium battery they manufacture. They discuss the misinformation and confusion with all things “Lithium”. I’ve used this type on sport bikes in the past, looks like a reduction of 35-40 lbs replacing a typical battery in an automotive application. For use in drag racing it’s a no-brainer.

You may or may not be correct. There's not enough of them out there to really form an opinion. LiFePo are an option on our wheelchairs. (On a side note, we recently stopped offering a 48V version, which can officially do over 15mph. They are scary......wheelie from a dead stop. anyway ALL these big Li batteries have an electronics package in the box THAT CAN FAIL. The package "manages" the battery, which in reality is a bank of several batteries depending on how large the thing is. The fact that the news is not loaded down with stories of failures does not mean they are trouble free

There ARE pluses. Lots and LOTS of power for weight. Long life if properly cared for. You must be careful of charge, tho. Our powerchairs come with a direct connect emergency charger cable, because if the user runs it too dead, the charging circuit in the chair electronics can't figure it out.

I don't think you can "fast charge" these so you want to pay attention, unlike any sort of lead-acid

You may or may not be correct. There's not enough of them out there to really form an opinion. LiFePo are an option on our wheelchairs. (On a side note, we recently stopped offering a 48V version, which can officially do over 15mph. They are scary......wheelie from a dead stop. anyway ALL these big Li batteries have an electronics package in the box THAT CAN FAIL. The package "manages" the battery, which in reality is a bank of several batteries depending on how large the thing is. The fact that the news is not loaded down with stories of failures does not mean they are trouble free

There ARE pluses. Lots and LOTS of power for weight. Long life if properly cared for. You must be careful of charge, tho. Our powerchairs come with a direct connect emergency charger cable, because if the user runs it too dead, the charging circuit in the chair electronics can't figure it out.

I don't think you can "fast charge" these so you want to pay attention, unlike any sort of lead-acid
Yours and others concerns are valid, I’ve done my research in the past, more so now and don’t have most of those concerns other than longevity: the battery going dead too soon and not taking and holding a recharge: more a defective battery vs. user error issue. But that shouldn’t be a problem for me as the vehicle it is being used in has no parasitic draw from other components, charging system is operating correctly, alternator amperage matched to battery etc. All the warnings from EarthX are being observed so what we are left with ultimately is “What can happen” I’ll just say a lot can happen with everything in life including a Mack truck (or just any old car for that matter!) veering into my lane and hitting me head on in my tin can flat nosed van. It’ll be over for me, or lose at the minimum limbs for certain but I still drive it. Main driving factor is weight loss with using one of these for drag racing. Done. Anyway, there’s not much talk about these batteries here so any and all talk (pros-cons) it good. :)

Last edited:
By the way if you are wheelchair bound, Li batteries for them ARE NOT ALLOWED on aircraft. If you fly with your chair, you must have other than Li batteries.

-
Back