Look what I just found...69 Barracuda Restomodded

-

69 Barracuda vert

Reaction score
1969-plymouth-barracuda-front-696x388.jpg

Close to Maple grove, about 89 min up the road from me. I was annoyed a few weeks ago on a Saturday, they're only open 9-12 noon. Ugh. Not that I'm buying, but you need more that 3 hrs to browse.

$75k???? WTF Its a simple Gen 3 swap in nice looking notch. I don't get it, but if they get that then I think my dart is worth more than the viper lol.

super clean install, the engine bay looks real tidy. they certainly didn't skimp anywhere.

but at almost 75K i'd want a OD transmission in there.

anybody know what's up with orange bit off the trans cross member? is that a drive shaft loop?

It looks clean, but be warned. Dealers are sometimes some of the most notorious for unscrupulous tactics. I would check it out with a magnifying glass.

It's pretty, and there are a lot of bells and whistles but it's not a convertible.

And why show the build sheet or fender tag / vin. Is not a "numbers matching" restoration, it adds no value.

super clean install, the engine bay looks real tidy. they certainly didn't skimp anywhere.

but at almost 75K i'd want a OD transmission in there.

anybody know what's up with orange bit off the trans cross member? is that a drive shaft loop?
Yep driveshaft loop, Do you not have one? Not saying its factory by any means but its a super cheap piece of safety.

Nice looking car. I agree it needs a few things to be really good.

For those who think they can do a showcar quality resto-mod correctly and cheap.....LOL

cuda building T 2022.jpg

cuda 7-3-22 BW bridge-Port Huron.jpg

Yep driveshaft loop, Do you not have one? Not saying its factory by any means but its a super cheap piece of safety.
They never were factory, so no worries there.

i do! i just looks nothing like that. it's a cheapy comp engineering or lakewood one.

now that my memory has been sufficiently jogged, i do recall seeing one like that in a catalog at one time.

Nice 'Cuda. At $75K its kind of rich for me. Besides, I always favored the fastbacks.

It seems these threads always go the same way. There's a lot of work in that car, even if it's not up to group standards. If consigned the dealer has their fee included (which is agreed upon)any bargaining is done by the owner ultimately. Granted $75k is a lot of money (for anything) regardless , it doesn't diminish the equity in the car. Every owner wants all they can get, every dealer wants to keep their lights on. We as a group are the hardest on our group, be it A bodies or Mopars in general. We all want the super model without vocal cords and don't want to pay her cab fare home. I can tell you this, adding up the good parts there's about $30k , paint and body if sourced and good...at least $30. Add dealer fees and obvious wiggle room and your where we would all hope to be, breaking even, but without our car. For what it's worth I have more in mine and wanted a lot less, and still had bargain hunters. I gave up and still have it. As for the transmission choice, if it was built from scratch with the 6.1 engine planned , yeah that's odd, obviously the floor mods could've been done at the time. It's possible that the builder prepped it for a small block and changed course knowing that the 727 was a bolt up. With mine, I converted to Hemi after 5 years with the small block and I wasn't cutting up a rot free original floor.

We all want the super model without vocal cords? With no overdrive trans that 75k car will have some vocal cords going down the highways.....

I was referring to what we expect when spending money vs. what we expect someone to pay (for what we've spent). BTW I've got 3:91's with 325/50-15's (approx. 28" tall) 60 mph(gps speedo) @3100 rpm, it's not bad at all. But pricewise....if all else is proper on the car, and it had a nag5 , with the necessary electronics, installed correctly and detailed as such. The seller(not consigner) would need more than his/hers current ask (only the consigner knows this number) to break even. Gen3 is not a cheap endeavor.

I was referring to what we expect when spending money vs. what we expect someone to pay (for what we've spent). BTW I've got 3:91's with 325/50-15's (approx. 28" tall) 60 mph(gps speedo) @3100 rpm, it's not bad at all. But pricewise....if all else is proper on the car, and it had a nag5 , with the necessary electronics, installed correctly and detailed as such. The seller(not consigner) would need more than his/hers current ask (only the consigner knows this number) to break even. Gen3 is not a cheap endeavor.
no lies. i think some of us get caught up in the whole: i could build that for less! a G3 motor and trans is like 4K on ebay... and... and... and...

i know that i'm certainly guilty of this.

but again, not to knock the shine off that crazy diamond it just seems like everything else would point to an aftermarket OD trans and then *blows raspberry*.

anyhow, you're right, the cost of a G3 swap is vastly underrated by most. just some back of the bar room napkin math shows an easy 20 if you're going with an aftermarket front suspension. then when you add in the attention to parts quality and detail on a build like this all those extra 200 here 150 there pieces start adding up.

and that's before even tackling the looming cost of paint & body and procuring a decent base to start with.

For 75K it should have the Hell Cat hemi, 25k for the drivetrain and 50k for the car, they'd still be making money.

For 75K it should have the Hell Cat hemi, 25k for the drivetrain and 50k for the car, they'd still be making money.
i don't know man. say you start with a bread and butter 318 2V stripper car that's "decent" and doesn't need a metric *** tonne of metal work, but has a roached interior. all the subsystems-- front suspension, rear suspension, rear end, electrical, wheels & tires, brakes still need to be addressed to not only handle the power train you plan on installing but also are up to snuff and at the level somebody dropping 75K on a car would expect.

even if you owned that car, to build that out to that level? i don't think that there'd be much meat left on the bone at 75, especially if you farmed out any significant amount of the work beyond paint and body. i mean you'd make a few bucks, but nobody would be getting rich.

-
Back