Looking for opinions on Mopar M1 single plane intake

-
I don't think Indy makes a standard port small block intake, 360-1, 360-2 and Magnum are all I see.

I've talked to some pretty sharp small block guys and they all told me the same thing about the Super Victor. It's a very good intake after a bunch of work, as cast it isn't as good as a standard Victor.

I don't think Indy makes a standard port small block intake, 360-1, 360-2 and Magnum are all I see.

I've talked to some pretty sharp small block guys and they all told me the same thing about the Super Victor. It's a very good intake after a bunch of work, as cast it isn't as good as a standard Victor.
Had a square port 396 ,it felt flat at 6200, even a modified C454 and a 8082 Dominator ,up top.A 2907 manifold, was soooo crusty out of the box,my head porter cleaned it up. It took 10-12 hours, of honest work. That intake restriction, was gone. 7000 plus ,all gears.

That is why i sold the one I had at the Swap meet this weekend....Lol

Is there somewhere I can research fixing the flange? I just switched to an M1 on my magnum motor since I'm adding a Procharger and it's the only option for magnum single plane. Didn't know about the thermoquad flange until I got it in the mail

I just weld up the plenum and machine it back to square. Some guys make up a plate that goes in there. RF posted who it was. It's a damn nice way to fix them.

Either way, fixing the top is a big help. The last one I tested was ~12-15 HP better than a stock one.

I haven’t had the ability to test the M1 with and with out the MP dams as they say to use with a Holley carb. It is to fix the fuel distribution issues video a the popsicle sticks on the plenum floor. That should add more power to the “fixed” carb pad.

DBE51477-E18F-4C6C-BA4D-F4E443D5C4EB.jpeg
I know a lot of guys have had great luck with the victor but my combo liked the M1 (best 11.47 @ 118 mph) over the victor 340 (best 11.68 @ 116 MPH) intake. Combo is 372 CID, 4 speed manual, 4.56 gears, all steel body, full exhaust and interior. The M1 was consistently 2/10 quicker in the 1/4 and 2 MPH faster. I never ran it unmodified as I used moroso A/B epoxy on the carb flange to better match my Holley carb but I’m not sure how much it helped. I just made the switch to a modified Weiand action plus and will take it to the track in the near future to see how it does compared to the single planes on my combo.

View attachment 1715171316 I know a lot of guys have had great luck with the victor but my combo liked the M1 (best 11.47 @ 118 mph) over the victor 340 (best 11.68 @ 116 MPH) intake. Combo is 372 CID, 4 speed manual, 4.56 gears, all steel body, full exhaust and interior. The M1 was consistently 2/10 quicker in the 1/4 and 2 MPH faster. I never ran it unmodified as I used moroso A/B epoxy on the carb flange to better match my Holley carb but I’m not sure how much it helped. I just made the switch to a modified Weiand action plus and will take it to the track in the near future to see how it does compared to the single planes on my combo.
Nice work. Did you do that and what was it you used?
No popsicle stick trick attempt?

View attachment 1715171316 I know a lot of guys have had great luck with the victor but my combo liked the M1 (best 11.47 @ 118 mph) over the victor 340 (best 11.68 @ 116 MPH) intake. Combo is 372 CID, 4 speed manual, 4.56 gears, all steel body, full exhaust and interior. The M1 was consistently 2/10 quicker in the 1/4 and 2 MPH faster. I never ran it unmodified as I used moroso A/B epoxy on the carb flange to better match my Holley carb but I’m not sure how much it helped. I just made the switch to a modified Weiand action plus and will take it to the track in the near future to see how it does compared to the single planes on my combo.

That's a nice clean fix.

I hope this doesn't come across as being a smart azz as it's not my intention. But on a engine that runs 11.50's I'm not going to run a big single plane intake. My stock stroke 340 on pump 93, 4.30 gears and a hydraulic cam ran 11.60 with a Weiand X-Cellerator. Not a big single plane by any means but a very good intake that gets over looked many times.

I hope this doesn't come across as being a smart azz as it's not my intention. But on a engine that runs 11.50's I'm not going to run a big single plane intake. My stock stroke 340 on pump 93, 4.30 gears and a hydraulic cam ran 11.60 with a Weiand X-Cellerator. Not a big single plane by any means but a very good intake that gets over looked many times.
You don’t sound rude. What cam and converter to make it ran like that? Head work?

Like Insaid earlier, member UOP found the Edelbrock RPM-AG better at this level. Just, very close though. At this level the MP-M1, Hollet strip dominator will work well. 70aarcuda is running a IIRC, he said a Victor. Check his sig for times. Low 11’s.

I agree. I run 11.20’s with an airgap on a stock stroke 360. With couple upgrades it should run 10’s.
Frankly havent ruled out leaving the airgap on and trying it on my upcoming stroker combo.
Agree about the excellerator. Ran 10.70’s with one on a flat tappet 416 years ago, its another option.

Good mention. It doesn’t take a ton of engine to run the time. Just a well thought out engine in a good set up.
You can dump in a 700 hp engine into a carp car and chassis and run poorly. Bend twist and break stuff.
All the while getting beat by a much lower hp powered car, bare naked car with a lot less power because it is well set up, taking advantage of what it can.

Rumble the cam was from Hughes, 236/242 @ .050 and in the .580's IIRC. The heads were Edelbrocks ported by Curtis Boggs. Looking back I think there was more in it with a good flat solid and more carb.

Don it would be interesting to see your new engine ran with the Airgap and an X-Cellerator. If you dyno it and want to borrow my Weiand just let me know.

I don't want to sell it though. lol

Rumble the cam was from Hughes, 236/242 @ .050 and in the .580's IIRC. The heads were Edelbrocks ported by Curtis Boggs. Looking back I think there was more in it with a good flat solid and more carb.

Don it would be interesting to see your new engine ran with the Airgap and an X-Cellerator. If you dyno it and want to borrow my Weiand just let me know.

I don't want to sell it though. lol

Haha..... my little brother has my old excellerator on the 416 in his 66 Dart. He was dissapointed how it ran on its only outing to date last fall. Had several issues going on, but he thinks the excellerator is one of them. I dont. I might try and scavenge it from him.... lol
Actually he has major carb issues that need fixed.
Doubt i will dyno the new motor except at the track.
BTW.... wish you would come to Monster Mopar, love to meet you. The guy who bought my B3 W5 car is coming from Jersey to race it this year at Norwalk.Be first time i have seen it since i sold it. He just broke the Dana in it at Atco last weekend he told me.
My good friend and local buddy is going to have his new W8 Dart Sport there too. Might also be spraying it. Should be getting it finished this month. He is the guy who had the Barton looking 68 Dart a few years ago with the P7 motor in it.

Don is that race at Columbus? What's the dates? I work 12 swing shifts, days, nights, weekends and have two weekends off out of four in the rotation.

Don is that race at Columbus? What's the dates? I work 12 swing shifts, days, nights, weekends and have two weekends off out of four in the rotation.

Last weekend in July in Norwalk. Get a few days off. It would be worth it. Best Mopar race there is.
Friday night gamblers races, scheduled races Saturday and Sunday. Wife and i sponsor the 11.50 footbrake pro tree index race that is run Saturday night

I always wanted to try a weiand x-celerator intake.

There are a bunch of folks running simpler combos that ET the same or better than mine for sure. But I don’t think I’m doing to bad for an all steel, non gutted street car running on California’s pump 91 octane. Just sharing what worked for me. I also tried a performer RPM, had great street manners and bottom end torque but fell flat above 6,000 RPM on my combo. My shift point and trap RPM was around 6,800 with both single planes. To be honest I haven’t really seen many 11 second pump gas street cars at either track I run at (besides late model forced induction).

Fast340 I wasn't trying to slight you in any way, just usually see the bigger intakes on more max effort or larger engines.

The Weiand is a good intake, proven by the numbers Don posted. I ran a Victor 340 on my 408 because I got a good deal on it. My Dart is a street/strip deal and the engines are always built to run on pump 93. With the 408, 3260# and 4.10 gears it ran 6.53 in the 1/8. Now it has a 434 with Indy heads, intake, solid roller, around 3350# and has ran 6.40 and will run deep in the .30's.

Last weekend in July in Norwalk. Get a few days off. It would be worth it. Best Mopar race there is.
Friday night gamblers races, scheduled races Saturday and Sunday. Wife and i sponsor the 11.50 footbrake pro tree index race that is run Saturday night

I'm working nights that week end.

Fast340 I wasn't trying to slight you in any way, just usually see the bigger intakes on more max effort or larger engines.

The Weiand is a good intake, proven by the numbers Don posted. I ran a Victor 340 on my 408 because I got a good deal on it. My Dart is a street/strip deal and the engines are always built to run on pump 93. With the 408, 3260# and 4.10 gears it ran 6.53 in the 1/8. Now it has a 434 with Indy heads, intake, solid roller, around 3350# and has ran 6.40 and will run deep in the .30's.

No worries. Sounds like you have a killer combo!

Thanks, I used moroso A/B epoxy and no popsicle sticks in the plenum/runner entrance.

View attachment 1715171440 Here is what I’m running for an intake now.

I used Moroso A/B epoxy on my M1... one of rear secondary fill-in’s chipped off.

Hung a valve and luckily the push rod popped sideways. Some mysterious way there was no damage. Happened at low revs.

The person who did it has used that expoxy many times on NMCA champ cars. It was done perfectly flat with the flange. Maybe the fills should have been sunk so as no clamping pressure was on it?

IMHO, still a fluke deal.... but I’m running without the epoxy until I get it welded up.

6626415-12_22_10sm1-jpg.jpg

12_22_10sm2-jpg-jpg.jpg

I used Moroso A/B epoxy on my M1... one of rear secondary fill-in’s chipped off.

Hung a valve and luckily the push rod popped sideways. Some mysterious way there was no damage. Happened at low revs.

The person who did it has used that expoxy many times on NMCA champ cars. It was done perfectly flat with the flange. Maybe the fills should have been sunk so as no clamping pressure was on it?

IMHO, still a fluke deal.... but I’m running without the epoxy until I get it welded up.

View attachment 1715171488

View attachment 1715171489

I remember reading about the moroso epoxy from an intake falling into a motor and hanging a valve open a while back (think it was your post). On my latest intake I sealed the Moroso epoxy using RC airplane fuel resistant clear epoxy and overlapped it onto the aluminum in an attempt to keep it in place. I have read that pump gas with alcohol in it will penetrate the moroso stuff and can cause it to soften and fall off.

I remember reading about the moroso epoxy from an intake falling into a motor and hanging a valve open a while back (think it was your post). On my latest intake I sealed the Moroso epoxy using RC airplane fuel resistant clear epoxy and overlapped it onto the aluminum in an attempt to keep it in place. I have read that pump gas with alcohol in it will penetrate the moroso stuff and can cause it to soften and fall off.

What was weird was the remaining pieces needed to be broken off with a hammer. They had some discoloration like in your 1st pic on your M-1.

I run gas that has up to 10% alcohol and other California “stuff” (mtbe, etc).

-
Back