Looking to replace my 273 with a 318, which one?

-

Novacuda

Reaction score
Hi all! Please forgive me if this is a goofy question, I'm a complete newb to mopars and am not sure how to phrase what I'm wanting to know exactly. I want to replace the stock 273 in my 65' Barracuda with a 318. I was thinking of ordering a stock 318 crate engine from the dealer. This car doesn't have to burn up the track or anything, I just want this one to be a cruiser. What year should I order the 318 for when I'm talking to the dealer? (I want it to be carbed and use a mechanical fuel pump). Will my 65' exhaust manifolds bolt up to a 318? I saw a thread on here covering this earlier but now I can't seem to find it through search. Any info is appreciated, thanks!

As long as the 318 is an LA motor it will all bolt up. That said, if all you want is a cruzier why replace the 273? Something wrong with it?

yeah why a teen ? if your going to change it for anything a 360 is probably the same price and you can always build it into something later for a lot cheaper than building up a teen .

Same question...why change?? A 273 and a 318 are the same motor...well almost. The 273 will have a mechanical cam and lifters with adjustable rockers. Other than that, they are almost the same, and you can probably build your existing motor for less than the cost of a crate motor!!

I've seen 273's run 10 sec qtrs, so I know they have the power capabilities!!

But, to answer your question, any LA 318 will bolt up, although you will need to change your converter as the 273 converter has a smaller snout and will wobble in the larger crank hole of the 318. The exhaust will bolt up, as well as everything else like pulleys, brackets and such. Now, a later Magnum style...I'm out on that one, maybe a member with more knowledge of the Magnums will chime in!! Geof

85-87 318's should have the better heads on them and could run good with a small cam & 4bbl. Your 273 exh manifolds will work. But really, any 318 will work for your application. A 360 will run much better however.

yeah why a teen ? if your going to change it for anything a 360 is probably the same price and you can always build it into something later for a lot cheaper than building up a teen .

x2 go with the 360, don't waste your time, fuel economy is negligible, power potential is phenomenal. 90's roller block if you can.

Thanks guys! I'm positive a stroked 360 will be in it at some point. Why not fix the 273? Well, this car has sat since it was traded in back in 1975. The engine has been overheated pretty good at some point, and is full of rust and covered in thick grime, which could be cleaned yeah, but I'd rather start with something fresh for now, like a new 318 & trans to get it going down the road for now. In a few years, I'll go a different direction with it after some other projects are done, but for now I want the 318 over the 273 because a) It's all new b) I won't have to build the old one, and c) if I did a 360 based motor I'd go full bore and it would be beyond my budget for right now. So it looks like I'm looking at an 85-87 318 huh? Thanks for the replys, I appreciate any and all comments and help! :blob:

Thanks guys! I'm positive a stroked 360 will be in it at some point. Why not fix the 273? Well, this car has sat since it was traded in back in 1975. The engine has been overheated pretty good at some point, and is full of rust and covered in thick grime, which could be cleaned yeah, but I'd rather start with something fresh for now, like a new 318 & trans to get it going down the road for now. In a few years, I'll go a different direction with it after some other projects are done, but for now I want the 318 over the 273 because a) It's all new b) I won't have to build the old one, and c) if I did a 360 based motor I'd go full bore and it would be beyond my budget for right now. So it looks like I'm looking at an 85-87 318 huh? Thanks for the replys, I appreciate any and all comments and help! :blob:

If you are on a budget why buy 2 engines?

You plan for a 360 stroker in the future so just get and run a stock 360 now and use it for your future build.

Being on a budget and buying something you don't need is working in reverse, in my opinion.

Well, I called the dealer and they don't have any 85-87 318's left, and the VERY helpful parts department guy (who has a 64 cuda), Said I'd have to have a torque converter made to use that 318 with a 904 trans. So what all is involved with going to a 360? Will a 904 trans bolt up to it? What would I have to do as far as motor mounts? Does a 727 trans fit within the stock 65' Barracuda trans tunnel and work with the stock floor shifter? Anything else to look out for? Thanks buds! :prayer:

for the 360 swap you will need 360 tq converter and harmonic balancer and drivers side
motor mount bracket. Everything else will interchange.

You can use your present 904 and converter. You need a bushing ring to take up the space between the smaller / older converter snout and the newer / larger crank recess in ANY of the later engines, whethe 318/ 340/ 360

So far as balance, you can get a B&M flexplate which is balanced for use with the 360 using your old converter.

727 is different overall length from the 904, and has a different output spline, will need a new driveshaft.

So far as buying crate engines, I hope you are aware of the differences between LA and magnum engines. Both came in both 318/ 5.2 and 360/ 5.9

Get a late 80s early 90s LA roller block 360. You'll be miles ahead of the game. You'll get them out of full size trucks and vans.

Hi buds, thanks to your help you've steered me almost completely in the direction of a 360. I was thinking of this 360 crate from Classic Industries which you can look at here http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/mn2472.html

Now I know I need an LA engine, and this says it's a retrofitted magnum engine meant to replace an LA engine. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for the help & suggestions. Please bare with me if my Mopar questions sound stupid, I am a Chevy guy after all and need y'alls help. :D

< I'm not a fan of mass produced crate engines.

Same question...why change?? A 273 and a 318 are the same motor...well almost. The 273 will have a mechanical cam and lifters with adjustable rockers. Other than that, they are almost the same, and you can probably build your existing motor for less than the cost of a crate motor!!

I've seen 273's run 10 sec qtrs, so I know they have the power capabilities!!

But, to answer your question, any LA 318 will bolt up, although you will need to change your converter as the 273 converter has a smaller snout and will wobble in the larger crank hole of the 318. The exhaust will bolt up, as well as everything else like pulleys, brackets and such. Now, a later Magnum style...I'm out on that one, maybe a member with more knowledge of the Magnums will chime in!! Geof

Will 66 4bbl intake bolt to 65 273 Barracuda?.

Call Brian at IMM engines in Indio California or the folks at MRL both are active here on this site MRL is a sponsor and Brian has built for many of us here , he's closer for shipping and I seem to remember him selling a warmed 360 for about the same price or less than the mass produced "crate" you are looking at elsewhere . Both these guys have good names in the mopar community and work hard to keep them instead of some outfit that mostly sells chivy and turd motors .

If your 273 is a stock 2bbl I kinda understand, but a 318? If you can find one go for a 340? That said, if your 273 is the 4bbl "Commando" version restore it! This is a kick-*** engine and will get good MPG with 3.23 rear. Put a 4spd on it and you'll have a ball with it.

My 2 copper coins.. Find a roller cam 360 in a junk yard or Craigslist or somewhere local.. Should be pretty cheap and easy to find.. Put that engine in and run it for a while and start purchasing the goods to rebuild that engine... I think you will be pretty happy with the stock 360 for a while.. Especially coming form the bowtie world..

yes you want to use your 904 it has 2 shifter cables 727 has 1 you neeed a BnM shifting cable a drivers side motor mount theres a few little things rebuild your 904 when you put a 340 or 360 in it just because the clearance for headers ifyou have power sterring or not I have some 273 commando heads hi per rebuild your 273 when you do it its original and it can still kik *** then you wont have to got get a new drive shaft or have 1 made then your rearend cant take it its a vishish circle add more time ,$ and headaches but 1nce its done you get way better speeding tickets and get no tracton what so ever lol so figger in tire $ at the price of barret yesterday I wish I was there I coulda saved 10 k or I will sell you 1 oh not to mention your gonna want headers if you go big or they just don't flo as good as your build with the 340 or up but we never listen when your done your gonna luv it but you coulda had that well there a riot either way=================

yes pics are backwards gl I have the parts for either build and been there still doin that lol

Attachments

• Snapshot_20120830_5.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 325
  • Snapshot_20120830_6.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Snapshot_20120830_7.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 281
  • Snapshot_20120830_12.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 303
  • Snapshot_20120830_13.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 245
the question is 273 camando 10.5 :1 or 360 10:1 theres a lot of work 1nce you change that tranny so rebuild the 904 and get a nice 8 3/4 while there stillaround

Thanks guys! So far I'm looking at doing an ATK 360la from Classic Industries, with the 904 trans. I'd "rather" not horse around with sourcing a motor to rebuild and sending it off or redoing the 273, although I'm not 100% opposed to it either, I'd just rather bolt something in and go for now. I just want it to drive, then on to paint, interior, and suspension. Before this car gets crazy, which it WILL at some point, I want it to be a nice cruiser. I have other projects that have priority as far as engines and suspensions right now. This Barracuda's sat since around 1976, and needs a complete resto. I'd rather make it a nice cruiser for now and upgrade it later after other projects. I WOULD like it to at least beat my Uncles 78' "Lil Red Truck", which isn't impressive at all as far as performance. :D Decisions decisions, y'all make some good points! :banghead:

You sure you're uncle had an authentic L'il Red Express? Maybe he never really showed you what it could do...

In its day, it was the fastest production vehicle made in North America! That's right! Faster than 'Vette, you name it!

Although I'm not totally convinced of this, you can do your own research on it. Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

"The LA 360 (5.9 L) has a 4.00 in bore and a 3.58 in stroke. It was released in 1971 with a two barrel carburetor. The 360 used the large intake port 340 heads with a smaller intake valve (1.88 inch). In 1973, a 4-barrel version was released. In 1974, the 360 became the most powerful LA engine with the end of 340 production. After 1980, the 360 was primarily used in Dodge Ram trucks and vans. However, in some instances, the 360 was used in Dodge Diplomat police cars. Edit: With the possible exception of some rumored 'special factory cars', Diplomat police cars did not receive the 360 as factory equipment, however the 360 was available in civilian-package cars. The 1978-1979 Lil' Red Express truck used a special high-performance 360 4-barrel engine, with factory production code EH1 and was the fastest production vehicle in North America for those years.[citation needed]. The EH1 was a modified version of the E58 360 police engine (E58) producing 255 hp (190 kW) net @ 3800 rpm[citation needed]. Some prototypes for the EH1 featured Mopar Performance W2 heads[citation needed], although the production units had the standard 360 heads. There was also a "lean burn" version of the 360. The 360 was replaced for 2003 with the 5.7 L Hemi."

COOL!

You sure you're uncle had an authentic L'il Red Express? Maybe he never really showed you what it could do...

In its day, it was the fastest production vehicle made in North America! That's right! Faster than 'Vette, you name it!

Although I'm not totally convinced of this, you can do your own research on it. Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

"The LA 360 (5.9 L) has a 4.00 in bore and a 3.58 in stroke. It was released in 1971 with a two barrel carburetor. The 360 used the large intake port 340 heads with a smaller intake valve (1.88 inch). In 1973, a 4-barrel version was released. In 1974, the 360 became the most powerful LA engine with the end of 340 production. After 1980, the 360 was primarily used in Dodge Ram trucks and vans. However, in some instances, the 360 was used in Dodge Diplomat police cars. Edit: With the possible exception of some rumored 'special factory cars', Diplomat police cars did not receive the 360 as factory equipment, however the 360 was available in civilian-package cars. The 1978-1979 Lil' Red Express truck used a special high-performance 360 4-barrel engine, with factory production code EH1 and was the fastest production vehicle in North America for those years.[citation needed]. The EH1 was a modified version of the E58 360 police engine (E58) producing 255 hp (190 kW) net @ 3800 rpm[citation needed]. Some prototypes for the EH1 featured Mopar Performance W2 heads[citation needed], although the production units had the standard 360 heads. There was also a "lean burn" version of the 360. The 360 was replaced for 2003 with the 5.7 L Hemi."

COOL!

It didn't take much to be fast in 1978-79..

-
Back