Lost Title Question

-

fl 71

Reaction score
Found a 1963 Austin Healey 3000 MKll in Ohio that is a perfect car to restore for my daughter. Problem is the individual who has the car left it on open title for seven years and has lost the title. Have traced the vin number at the Ohio D.M.V. and thier system will give me the last title # but will not disclose the name on it. Would really like to get this car. I live in Florida.
What can I do??
Thanks for any help.

Talk to your DMV.Here in Illinois you have to get it bonded and do the paper work through the DMV.Last time it cost me around $250.00

Jim

Here is Washington you need a special inspection (3 month wait) to perform a VIN check. The VIN is checked against the national data base of stolen cars. If it passes that then you are allowed to register it ONLY! After 3 years if the owner of record has not reported it stolen the state will issue you a title. The alternative to this in Washington is for the property owner to declare the vehicle abandoned and have it impounded by a licensed tow company. The tow company will then submit a letter to the legal owner notifying them of the impound. At that point the legal owner can come get it out of impound and pay the fees or ignore it. If it is ignored the tow company can after 30 days sell it at public auction and issue the buyer a bill of sale. With the bill of sale the new owner can obtain a title. Either way it can be a royal pain but it can be done.

i belive in most states you can apply for a lost title.

But you're talking about Florida !!! I had a hassle because the VIN # on my Dart didn't have the same amount of numbers as cars nowadays !!! They had to viually verify the # !!Don't know about the lost title though !

You are correct on a lost title Dartman what I need is a replacement title.

Only the legal owner (person showing on title) can file for a lost title.
~Michael

Yep. For a situation like that here in Texas you have to bring what paperwork you do have, bill of sale or what not, and apply for a bonded title. Having the previous owner not register the vehicle is dangerous and painful. There is at least one place in Texas that will take care of the legal end and paperwork for you for a price.

When I bought my car in 1989 the previous owner had the title and it was assigned to him, but he never registered it in his name. Unfortunately this is very common in this hobby. At the time I could use the DMV on base. The staff on base was quite helpful, they advised me to bring the guy with me. We registered the car in his name using my address and he signed paperwork giving me power of attorney on the car. After I recieved the new title I signed it over to myself and went through the registration process again.

Good luck and be careful.

You are correct on a lost title Dartman what I need is a replacement title.

In Washington they are the same thing. Did the person who owns the car dig through the glove box, under the seats and trunk to find any receipts, work orders, etc that might have the name of the person they got it from? Worth a shot.

~Michael

Ohio? Good luck! In Ohio, you can't sell a car without a title. You can't even have a car towed away for salvage without a title. I've been trying for over a year to get title to a car parked in my late uncle's garage by one of his former tenants, who died before she gave him the title.

Maybe you can sneak the car out of Ohio at night. :)

There is an outfit in Alabama that can get an Ala title for you, if you have a bill of sale with the vin # on it. You can send it to them, they will check it out, and they will issue you an Alabama title.
Thats how I got my 67 Coupe in my name. I then transfered it to Wisconsin.
Just Google "Car titles Alabama" or smething like that.

barracudadave67 aka Dave C.

An Austin 3000 is a good car to restore and give to a daughter?? Yikes! You're a glutton for punishment! Where is the car now? At the "owners" house? Abandon? If the owner is agreeable, have him fill out the lost title paperwork with the DMV. If it's an abandoned vehicle, drag it over to a good friends house and file lien papers for storage charges. You can get title that way.

CudaMark
Yes the car is at the owners home in Ohio. The 3000 was in good shape (not a rust bucket like many I have seen on line)when he started on it but he bought a Porsche and went club racing and the car has sat for 7 years. The parts needed to complete it are all available so thats good. Have done a frame off on a 1953 Jaguar XK120 and 1957 MGA in the past so I am a little familiar with the British cars. Just have to drink a lot of tea and eat fish and chips to get you head in the proper frame of mind. As for the daughter how do you say no?
Thank you for the advice.
Ed

If you can't get anything done in Ohio, there are company's here in Florida that do this type of stuff. PM me and I will get one of my title girls to dig up their contact info. I'm a motorcycle dealer here in Fl.

I have a friend with a shop here in Washington State- had to 'atempt' to contact via certified letter, then put a lein on it and, 30 days later, if nobody claims it, you can file for a title...and get it

Never ever put any money in a car you have no title for.
My buddy restored a BSA motercycle, he bought as a basket case at the flea market.
Guess what stolen.
It came up when he went to register it.
Completly restored, the state police even asked if he would store it until the owner drove up from Florida to pick his bike up.
It is the owners responsibility to provide the title, bill of sale or registration for ownership. This must be documented with the state, to keep you clean.
Again, do not put one dime in a car that is not registered to you.
And my buddy was almost charged stolen property. But he proved he restored the bike, so the charges were dropped.

Also Alabama re-title does not work any more in most states so check your local laws.

-
Back