low hp and torque

-

robert 68 cuda

Reaction score
all right took the car to the dyno to day made 393hp at the rear wheel and 400pound of torque my engin is a 426 small block this is my problem my torque which is a 3500 stall did not stall till 5000 is this normal or is my torque junk and the pull were done with 323 gears car seemed to fall about 6300 rpms but a i had a cupple of friends say they could see tire smoke so i dont know .

my set up 850 qwick fule eddy heads hughs stage one port jobe hughs cam.592intake 610exhaust solid 1.6 roller rockers fully balinced and could youse bigger headers . 11.1 comp ,arp bolts through eveything air gap intake what you think the problem is .

what you think the problem is .

spelling, punctuation and grammar for starters. also, chassis dynos do not like big converters. what brand is your converter? was it custom built for your application? or was it built to go 3500 behind a 318 and you put a 416 in front of it?

sounds about right , not fantasy like some of the comp simulations and other fantasy numbers , not sure about your converter and gear set up

yes yes guys i get the point sorry for the spelling ,but i dint think i was hear for a grammer contest

spelling, punctuation and grammar for starters. also, chassis dynos do not like big converters. what brand is your converter? was it custom built for your application? or was it built to go 3500 behind a 318 and you put a 416 in front of it?
Your obviously not an english teacher,cause sentences start with capital letters.JFYI:D

Robert,what type of convertor,make?

He didn't say which tranny he is running , if it's a 727 I'd say he is pretty much spot on for what I here people say those 426 kits run 500+/500+ minus the 21-24% loss from a 727 and your at those numbers .

Its a 727 by transact of indy, torque is cowin torque but its suppose to be 3000 stall this doesnt lock till 5000 rpm im not realy complaining just thought it would have a little more.

Sounds about right for chassis dyno. Did they work on the tune up while you had it on there or did you just make a pull and leave? It's not uncommon to find 30-40 hp with a good tune.
My 360 put down 320 and it runs 11.60s, How fast do you want to go? If you have the chassis working right that should be a high 10 second car.

Thanks for the relpys i just thought they were low number talked to my tranny guy . He said i need more gear so thats what im going to do might try some 373 gears its a street car so driving around is a must.

how tall is your tire? I personally would not get too wrapped up in the actual numbers; the dyno is just a tool. tire height can have an effect on them. if you're running a tall tire, 28" to 30", I wouldnt be afraid to drive around with 3.91s or more. just depends on fast you want to be able to cruise.

...... I was ripping off 11.78 @ 118 at the track. Stuck my car on a chassis dyno and pulled 292hp.

I simply ignored the dyno numbers and trusted my ET.

He didn't say which tranny he is running , if it's a 727 I'd say he is pretty much spot on for what I here people say those 426 kits run 500+/500+ minus the 21-24% loss from a 727 and your at those numbers .

I though the power loss was 21-24 hp, not percent ... do you still have the link to the article?? . . . . .thnx grant

The tire it is running now is 24" tall not good for much thinking 28 or 29 " would de better with 373 gear for a street car. Thanks for the input guys i was getting depresed with what i seen for number. Think i might go to the track with some slick and see how it does.

The car was set up almost straight out of the Mopar chassis manual. Rear springs in the stock location.

Engine was/is the original 340 (non stroked). Heads are the original x heads (with more money in them than anyone would bother putting in a set of old iron heads these days).

Without getting in to all the specifics.......

It's was a basic, old school, 4-speed, high compression, high RPM, big solid roller cam build.

If someone's losing 21-24% with a 727, they need a better tranny builder. The "norm" for a Mopar trans is 18%. At least that's what I've always been told and found when comparing notes.
That comes to just under 1.1hp/inch. If the eddy heads are around 240 (basically box stock with gasket matching and a valve job) then you're close. The rpm points will be screwy on a chassis dyno because of the convertor, the braking system on the dyno, and the calibrations. I think you're ok there. Go race it and see what it does.

Robert,

I will not insult my next door neighbor to the north! You mentioned that your headers might be too small. You have a big block there in a small block package. You need at least 1 7/8" headers if not 1 7/8" to 2" step headers. That thing has to be able to exhale as well as breathe also the collector length has more effect on the large strokers than on a small block. Just two things to think about. I'm sure others here will comment also.

75 sport thanks for the info.

|Im looking at tti new headers 1 7/8 which i will buy this winter right i think they are 1 5/8 headers cant aford to much right know .

-
Back