Low oil pressure

-

mocar

Reaction score
need some information on a problem I have, was driving my dart just cruzin along oil pressure was 60 psi , then for some reason it dropped to 20 psi while driving same rpm. Got home did a quick assessment of situation notice very little oil lin price valve cover. Pulled distributor, spun oil pump with drill and different oil pressure gauge ,still 25 psi! Need advice on where the start to look for problem. Thanks in advance.

need some information on a problem I have, was driving my dart just cruzin along oil pressure was 60 psi , then for some reason it dropped to 20 psi while driving same rpm. Got home did a quick assessment of situation notice very little oil lin price valve cover. Pulled distributor, spun oil pump with drill and different oil pressure gauge ,still 25 psi! Need advice on where the start to look for problem. Thanks in advance.
Try a different gauge. If your gauge is good its time to pull the engine.Guessing weak pump and bearings are shot

Check the oil pan for damage. If it is dented in and obstructing the oil pump pickup, it will affect discharge oil pressure. You could also have debris collected on the oil pump pickup screen that would also affect oil pressure. It is a long shot, but it is easier to drop the oil pan and look than to pull the engine and tear it apart.

Could be oil filter came apart inside. Change the filter to a WIX brand. check again.

your bypass spring may have jammed open too, or could have lost your galley cup next to your distributor drive.

your bypass spring may have jammed open too, or could have lost your galley cup next to your distributor drive.
Both my thinking as well....Bypass stuck open would result in no pressure, I'm thinking. No?

The pump could put out some pressure even with the valve stuck, and of course it depends on how far it is stuck open. If it is stuck in a fixed position, then the pressure would vary up and down with RPM.

Another possibility is for the pressure relief spring to break and 'slip' a coil. Then it would regulate at a constant lower pressure.

My 318 was showing oil pressure on the factory gauge at mid-point (about 40 psi) when cold and at the first graduation when warm (about 20 psi) with 40 wt oil. I changed the oil pressure sending unit and the oil pressue readings doubled.

-
Back