Low recoil ammo?

-

camd64

Remember Landy
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good low recoil ammo for .38 spl.? here's the deal. My mom has arthritis but really likes going to the range with me even though she has trouble on the majority of my semi auto's. She really liked the .380's so we went and picked one up but I have been handling most of the loading and racking the slide for her. Recently she decided she wanted to get her carry permit but since I knew they where going to have her function test it in class I went and picked her up a .38 Smith & wesson Bodyguard. No slide or mag. so its a piece of cake. For the test she will be using my .357 mag for the heavier weight to reduce the recoil, but, they go through 100 rounds so I am looking to give her the best chance possible. I have been looking at the Magtech 125 gr. at CTD since it's inexpensive and I hear people get good grouping out of them. I don't usually shoot .38 so all I really have now is 158 and 180 gr. magnums.

The trouble is, (around here) there's only 2-3 places, including the range, that sell ammo, and selection is limited. I would think that 125 grain would do, but you should be able to buy target ammo

I too carry a wheel gun. Used to carry a Charter Arms .38, recently bought a new Ruger .357 KLCR. It's a little bitty lightweight .357 5 shot. I'll probably stick with +P, and it's bad enough now that my hands are damaged.

Yeah most people my generation (I'm 31) seem to prefer semi-auto's but I am more of a wheel gun guy. The best thing about most revolvers is they don't fail, and even if you get a dud round just pull the trigger again LOL! My first real firearm ever was a Smith 4" 686 and that thing kind of spoiled it for any other firearm. That Bodyguard I got her is very light just like your LCR. I think it's barely over 14 ounces and it came with the Insight laser. I picked up some 130 +P Winchesters for her defense loads. I hope those 125 standard pressure loads combined with the weight of my .357 will help. If not I may just end up getting the dies to do some handloads?

Why cant you weight the grip with lead. Its what they do to reduce kick in shotguns.

.22 with sub sonic.

I'm forced to admit that when I took my CCP test I used my old Ruger MKI. Outshot the class with no rear sight. Guy one lane over had a .40 or something, and was spraying lead all over the damn place.

The test is easy, here, I forget. It's a "pie plate sized" circle at I think 21 or 21 ft, you have to get something like 18 out of 20 in the pie. No real contest.

I actually already had my Idaho CCP when I took the course, which was required to get the additional course for the "Utah non resident" course.

All I had to do to get my Idaho permit originally was show my military discharge. The irony is I was navy, and had little to do with arms out of boot camp. I learned far more on my own after Navy service.

Also, our range recently came up with a plan to get an Oregon permit (they don't recognize anyone out of state that I know of) You can take your proof of courses from our range, get a completion cert. and next time you are IN Oregon, apply for their state permit.

This leaves CA, so I guess I won't be leaving anymore money in THAT state.

I'm forced to admit that when I took my CCP test I used my old Ruger MKI. Outshot the class with no rear sight. Guy one lane over had a .40 or something, and was spraying lead all over the damn place.

The test is easy, here, I forget. It's a "pie plate sized" circle at I think 21 or 21 ft, you have to get something like 18 out of 20 in the pie. No real contest.

I actually already had my Idaho CCP when I took the course, which was required to get the additional course for the "Utah non resident" course.

All I had to do to get my Idaho permit originally was show my military discharge. The irony is I was navy, and had little to do with arms out of boot camp. I learned far more on my own after Navy service.

Also, our range recently came up with a plan to get an Oregon permit (they don't recognize anyone out of state that I know of) You can take your proof of courses from our range, get a completion cert. and next time you are IN Oregon, apply for their state permit.

This leaves CA, so I guess I won't be leaving anymore money in THAT state.

They may have changed it out here recently but I know ours was 3, 7, and 15 yards with 20, 20, then 10 shots respectively. Pretty easy. Only pain I hear is now you have to go to some specific place for electronic prints, no more local police station. Kinda odd.

I use the Magtech in my pre model 10 smith & wesson, it's great amo that if you compensate for drop you can nail the bulls eye at 70ft. Yes the model 10 has a much longer barrel and therefore more accuracy but if the bodygaurd 38 is anything like my bodygaurd 380 it will be an incredibly accurate firearm. I can consistently get bulls-eyes at 50ft with target amo using just the dovetail sights. My 380 carry amo is even more accurate. I went with the 380 solely because of price if the 38 was the same I would have gotten that instead.

Do what the weekend cowboy wannabes do here {there's a name for their sport but damned if I can remember it LOL} light load by hand ,they dress up in costumes and do that quick draw shooting but have to hit a man sized target at about 25 ft or so, if your only shooting 20+ feet try 50 grains or even less , just load a bunch of em so she can practice enough to learn to compensate for drop , I swear some of these guys load so light the bullets bounce off a cardboard target LOL

For what it's worth. My biz partner and I are fortunate to have an honest to gosh gun guru mentoring us on our future reloading plans ( be nice to justify the ATF license for manufacturing ammo ). I have e-mailed him for advice on your issue. I haven't had the chance to be on FABO much lately but if I hear back from him promptly I'll make a point to post or PM you.

Best of luck to your mom.

I went with the 380 solely because of price.

I have to tell you that IF that day ever comes, price will not be in my mind. 38+P has a hell of a lot more stopping power than a pocket .380

Where I took the test they supplied the gun and ammo for the shooting part of the test. They were .22 cal competition target guns. No recoil and they changed out the clips for you until the test was complete. A elderly lady was in my group and she passed with flying colors.

I have to tell you that IF that day ever comes, price will not be in my mind. 38+P has a hell of a lot more stopping power than a pocket .380

I guess it wasn't all bout the price lol -
Don't forget we are talking about pocket .38's too, yes a +P .38 round has more power but it's also in such a light revolver that it has a bit of kick, the 380 is the same diameter and when it leaves the barrel of my BG its traveling at 1150fps, and yes I know it's a slightly shorter, lighter bullet. Obviously both would be hollow points.

The BG .38 carries 5 rounds whereas the BG 380 has 7.
both are DAO so nice and safe to carry.

I practice at least once a week and my #1 self defense is my brain, but it's nice to know that I have my BG on me for back up at all times.

I also hope that the laser will scare away any potential threats before I ever have to squeeze one off.

Attachments

• bodyguard380.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 177
Do what the weekend cowboy wannabes do here {there's a name for their sport but damned if I can remember it LOL} light load by hand ,they dress up in costumes and do that quick draw shooting but have to hit a man sized target at about 25 ft or so, if your only shooting 20+ feet try 50 grains or even less , just load a bunch of em so she can practice enough to learn to compensate for drop , I swear some of these guys load so light the bullets bounce off a cardboard target LOL

Ah you mean SASS (single action shooting society) I saw an interview of a guy once who spent thousands just to get the outfit period correct. I thought screw that! For that amount of money I could be out buyin more guns and ammo! LOL

For what it's worth. My biz partner and I are fortunate to have an honest to gosh gun guru mentoring us on our future reloading plans ( be nice to justify the ATF license for manufacturing ammo ). I have e-mailed him for advice on your issue. I haven't had the chance to be on FABO much lately but if I hear back from him promptly I'll make a point to post or PM you.

Best of luck to your mom.

Thanks Bargeahead! If you do start reloading for sure let me know. I really need to start stocking up on my ammo again. I was using BVAC for my auto's but they seem to always be out of stock on what I need.

My every day carry is a Ruger SP101 .357 thats loaded with 38Spec. I normally use Federal Premium low recoil personal defense rounds. Its a 110 grain hydrashok jhp. I also use the Winchester Ranger 38Spec +P+ thats also a 110 grain jhp.

I use the Magtech in my pre model 10 smith & wesson, it's great amo that if you compensate for drop you can nail the bulls eye at 70ft. Yes the model 10 has a much longer barrel and therefore more accuracy but if the bodygaurd 38 is anything like my bodygaurd 380 it will be an incredibly accurate firearm. I can consistently get bulls-eyes at 50ft with target amo using just the dovetail sights. My 380 carry amo is even more accurate. I went with the 380 solely because of price if the 38 was the same I would have gotten that instead.

Good to hear on the Magtech. I almost got the 380 BG too that day only my pockets weren't deep enough. My mom got the better gun and I picked up a Taurus TCP for my summer carry. I was a little worried at first but so far not a single hiccup after 300 rounds. Of course if they end up making Texas an open carry state I may end up toting around my 3" .357 mag. instead!

Good to hear on the Magtech. I almost got the 380 BG too that day only my pockets weren't deep enough. My mom got the better gun and I picked up a Taurus TCP for my summer carry. I was a little worried at first but so far not a single hiccup after 300 rounds. Of course if they end up making Texas an open carry state I may end up toting around my 3" .357 mag. instead!

Interesting I was at the range the other day and a guy had a brand new taurus and it wouldn't feed. Glad to hear yours is working properly!

Yeah on my model I found out the B series are the ones to get so I had the shop pull out 3 different ones till I found one. Now I'm trying to save up for a new Glock 21.

-
Back