Lower Control Arm Question

-

D Cluley

Lansing MI
Reaction score
I've got the front end apart on the Dart. As expected the lower bushings are toast.

I'm a little concerned that there is too much slop in the arm itself.

I can see that the center part (with the hex for the T-bar, and the arm for height adjustment) has to be able to rotate in relation to the main part of the arm, so that the height can be ajusted, but how much play is acceptable?

If I push it all the way to one side, I can get a .020" gauge in the gap, so there's approx .010" all the way around. Is that normal or do I need to start hunting for replacement control arms?

DartLCAaug09B.jpg

DartLCAaug09A.jpg

If I remember correctly that is a replaceable bushing. How I don't know but I have been told it is doable.

He's not talking about the bushing, but what the bushing presses into. All the arms I've seen had about as much play as yours has.

You wont find any that look better than what you have. That rotates only during adjustment. If it did constantly move, it would squeek and /or wear egg shaped.

Ok, thanks. I've never done this before, and didn't want to have to redo everything if the front end was still loose.

I was concerned that this would allow the control arm to move back and forth, but that's what the strut rod is for, right?

Ok, thanks. I've never done this before, and didn't want to have to redo everything if the front end was still loose.

I was concerned that this would allow the control arm to move back and forth, but that's what the strut rod is for, right?

Yeah the strut rod holds it in place.

Ok, one more question:

Looks like I can press the shaft into the bushing and then the shaft/bushing into the control arm, or bushing into the arm, then shaft into the bushing/arm.

Does it make a difference which order?

-
Back