Lunati Hydraulic FT Cam users..........

-
Look at exactly what I wrote.

The recommended spring is number 73195, which is same spring as a Comp 995.

And then of course.......Neither of those would be correct for the SM heads.
Do you have any notes on the ootb SM spring pressures..?..

My apologies for this not being the answer to the original question....

Screenshot_20200710-070333.png
Screenshot_20200710-070421.png

:lol:....

Weeeelll....... the recommended spring is a 400lb/in dual.......

And......

I believe the SM heads come with duals.

Look at exactly what I wrote.

The recommended spring is number 73195, which is same spring as a Comp 995.

And then of course.......Neither of those would be correct for the SM heads.
I looked at exactly what you wrote. You stated the recommended spring pressure is a 400 lbs dual (i just quoted your post ^). I asked if that is the recommended spring pressure for the 703 cam?

Hey 318,.... DUCK..!!!...
You know who hasn't showed up??? Stroked340. Mr Lunati himself! He shows up in every other thread thrown' his love (not!)... lol... and in a thread he might have something useful to add he's A-WALLED!

You know who hasn't showed up??? Stroked340. Mr Lunati himself! He shows up in every other thread thrown' his love (not!)... lol... and in a thread he might have something useful to add he's A-WALLED!
I know and he always gives very unopionated great advice...:D...

DUCK!!!...

I looked at exactly what you wrote. You stated the recommended spring pressure is a 400 lbs dual

Read it again......I did not say “the recommended spring pressure is a 400lb dual”.

Details make a big difference.

Go to Lunatis site and look up the specs for the spring they recommend.

Last edited:
Read it again......I did not say “400lb dual”.

Details make a big difference.
LOL... I'm trying to understand your post. Please explain what it means. I'm reading "400lbs/in dual"

LOL... I'm trying to understand your post. Please explain what it means. I'm reading "400lbs/in dual"

Exactly.

“400lb/in”

Not the same thing as “the recommended spring pressure is 400lb”

400lb/in is the spring “rate”
The cam is a fast rate of lift cam, and they are recommending a fairly high rate spring(for a .500 lift hyd cam) to be used with it to help maintain control of the valvetrain.
The spring rate is the amount of change over the specified range.
The recommended spring will show a load change of 400lbs in 1 inch of travel. 400lbs per inch.

Last edited:
Exactly.

“400lb/in”

ok. I guess I don't know what 400lb/in would be. 400 inch pounds is 33 ft lbs, so certainly that isn't what you mean. But I asked more than once for an explanation so I digress. :)

ok. I guess I don't know what 400lb/in would be. 400 inch pounds is 33 ft lbs, so certainly that isn't what you mean. But I asked more than once for an explanation so I digress. :)

400lb/in means it takes 400 pounds to compress the spring 1 inch. That’s how the spring rate is measured. You can use it to calculate open pressure and loads at various lifts.

So a 350lb/in spring would need 350 pounds to compress the spring 1 inch.

400lb/in means it takes 400 pounds to compress the spring 1 inch. That’s how the spring rate is measured. You can use it to calculate open pressure and loads at various lifts.

So a 350lb/in spring would need 350 pounds to compress the spring 1 inch.
thank you :) I wasn't getting it they way it was wrote.

Exactly.

“400lb/in”

400lb/in is the spring “rate”
The cam is a fast rate of lift cam, and they are recommending a fairly high rate spring(for a .500 lift hyd cam) to be used with it to help maintain control of the valvetrain.
The spring rate is the amount of change over the specified range.
The recommended spring will show a load change of 400lbs in 1 inch of travel. 400lbs per inch.
Well you sure took the time to answer that question... I was still wondering if you had a answer to mine? Any notes on the out of the box Speedmaster spring rates?...

Well you sure took the time to answer that question... I was still wondering if you had a answer to mine? Any notes on the out of the box Speedmaster spring rates?...
I don’t have any notes from that set of heads, but who’s to say they had the same springs on them as your heads?

I do remember the open pressures seemed way lower(solidly under 300 open) than what you’ve posted yours are.

I have another set I’ll be working on before too long.
We’ll see what those end up being like.

What part number heads did you buy?

Last edited:
I don’t have any notes from that set of heads, but who’s to say they had the same springs on them as your heads?

I do remember the open pressures seemed way lower(solidly under 300 open) than what you’ve posted yours are.

We’ll what those end up being like.

thank you, I did remember you saying a couple had to be shimmed or something like that? It'll be interesting to see how broad the spectrum is on these... it surely would seem they would come from the same box..

We’ll what those end up being like.

thank you, I did remember you saying a couple had to be shimmed or something like that? It'll be interesting to see how broad the spectrum is on these... it surely would seem they would come from the same box..
My heads spring pressure were advertised as 145 closed and 360 @ .600 lift My part number was PCE281.2146
Mopar Chrysler SB 318 360 170cc 65cc Hydr-FT Complete Aluminum Cylinder Heads

I really have little faith in the specs on the SM site.
Here are what they show for the 2146’s(HFT cam) version, and the 2149’s(HR cam) version.

The HR springs are weaker?

3585E8CF-81CD-4582-BE74-EDE136454ADE.png

9BF026D3-7752-456C-BB87-347F5AE648CA.png

more rant on nova's
they want to fly just like a VW
big spoiler down on the ground and some rake or you go airborn

more rant on nova's
they want to fly just like a VW
big spoiler down on the ground and some rake or you go airborn
I'm not a Nova guy at all, but to be fair to them I'll say I know people that have bracket raced them for over 30 years without issue. Every track I go to has there share of Nova's and Fox bodies. By the way, the Nova I was spoke of a few pages ago runs 10.20's consistently and it doesn't have a back fin. Again, not defending Nova's but i am fair.....

-
Back