M/T Pro Bracket radial

-

gumper

Reaction score
My 28x9 bias Mickeys are getting to the end of their life, and I really want to use the new Pro Bracket radial in their place. Has anyone tried these out yet? I'm running off the converter with a two step set at ~2500 rpm (changes based on track conditions and reaction times), CalTracs in the bottom hole 1/2 turn preload with Calvert front and rear shocks (rears set at 5), and tire pressure at 15. My 60' times are 1.50s-1.60s depending on the track. The local tracks go from good hook to near no-prep slick throughout the day. Think the radial slicks would work out OK without losing consistency, or stay with the bias style?

I put the new 275 pro drag radial on my car it's light years ahead of the bias dot street tire. It's awesome.

About what I expected and partially what I'm afraid of. Going 8 rounds and spinning off the line in a final when the track gets cool would ruin me on radials. I tried the street radials a few years back, and under crappy conditions they just didn't give me constant results.

I'll still try them since the Pro Bracket tires are a bit different than the street style.

I just bought the M/T 315/60 Pro Radial and hope to try it out tonight. I was running the regular 315/60 ET Street Radial.

My buddy just took his 68 f100 to the track, 275 pros on 12" rims, ladder bars, 5k converter, 480" 460, went 1.44 60'.
Good tire!

Mounted a pair today. Going to leave the suspension as it is, and start with 18 lbs of pressure to see how it goes this weekend.

No sunshine and rainbows. Left everything set how it was with slicks, set the radials at 17.5 and spun on the first pass. Backed my shocks down from 5 to 3, launch rpm from 2500 to 2300, and pressure to 16.25. Hooked but was still .02 slow on the 60' and a 7.80. Brought the launch up to 2400, tried 16.5# hooked for a few feet then spun bad resulting in a 1.80 60' and a slow 7.92. I usually run 7.70.

The car seemed to unload on the last pass. Does that mean I need to soften or tighten the rear shocks? They're the Ranchos that came from Calvert. I have a video I'm going to try to post.

Night time,cooler air, more power, might be some of it. I would set your shock back to where they were, figure out what air pressure these tires like, then go after the shock settings.
stiffer in the rear shock extension would be next.
It's hard to see what the tire and rear suspension is doing in the dark.

A friend tried some on his Chevy truck. On a good track they were faster and consistent. As track went away or marginal track they would spin and he went back to bias. Some cars love them

As far as I see you are not running enough tire pressure. I run mine at 22psi and it hooks well. Car 60s 1.56. Burn outs need to be much smaller then bias ply.

Spins at anything over 17.5. Tried bars in both holes with various preload and all the shock settings. They worked OK with the bars in the bottom hole, 1/4 turn preload and shocks at 7 with 17.25 psi. I used them at a really good track, and was 5 hundredths slow on the 60' compared to last year. I ran them on a cool day at our local track and there was no way to get them to hook. I dismounted them and went back to regular slicks.

IMO it's not the tires fault. With no more power than you're putting on them they should work on a fair track. That being said my experience with radials (not pros) is that they are hooked or not. There is no middle ground like a slick. Also every car I've seen go to radials from slicks is faster if they hook up.

What springs are you running with the cal tracs? Are the front torsion bars cranked up? How much front end travel? The car looks very stiff in all the videos.

Mono leafs, 90/10 front shocks, 4.5-5" front travel. They wouldn't consistently hook, and when they did they just weren't as quick as slicks at the 60'. When the track started to cool down in the evening, or after rain, the radials just wouldn't reliably perform. For bracket racing they just weren't working out. No one seems to understand our track conditions. It's almost as bad as no prep at all.

Caltracs are spot on where mine are. 17.5 is no where near 22. Radials need more air not less. See mickey's Web site.

I tried up to 18.5 in the 4 separate weekends I used them. It's completely irrelevant now, I went back to slicks. Radials just don't work for what I have.

Never ever close to proper air pressure. Too bad great tire.

-
Back