M1, Victor340, and RPM Air Gap flow testing

-
I’m sorry the Speedmaster intake I ported was slightly better than the old style Torquer I ported. These three intakes were tested on a ported 2.02 valve set of Speedmaster heads.

A1B005F8-E0A0-4478-93C0-D1932D87F177.jpeg

If that’s the X-style Torker 340, it’s surprising to see it flowing that well after porting. Did you happen to see what the ports with the pinch for the bolt flowed?

I think they’re both excellent intakes for heads up to the 285 CFM flow range on up to 400 cubic inches.

dont put much stock in magazine add's....DWB!
I put alot of stock in a stock 340 with a tm5 and 700 dp running 13.1@104 winning bracket classes 10 or so times with the door stop
my own car running 12.7 trapping in 2nd with 3.23s also going 5900 in drive with the door stop torker
it makes great power for its intended use
fcking magizine adds lol real life

Now let’s add the RPM Air Gap to this and this because again I’ve never used this intake I’m taking it is different than the RPM Performer?

-Head—M1 intake—-Vic340–RPM
.100—64——————62—68–66
.200—125—————125–131–131
.300—187—————183–192–188
.350—214—————213–218–211
.400—238—————236–237–227
.450—257—————246–251–241
.500—284—————255–259–250
.550—294—————256–260–254
.600—296—————258–262–251
.650—302—————271–272–254
.700—308—————279–280–250

As you can see the RPM Air Gap totally trashed a good flowing head causing it to get noisy, turbulent, then backing up. A dual plane was never made to work on a head flowing 308 but it shows you the importance of not just grabbing an intake off a flea market table and throwing it on your engine combo. Both of these heads the Victor340 will be tested again after some porting but will be tested hopefully on a different head. Hopefully have this pair of heads finished this week and gone.
Time and again, people will line up on here recommending the Air Gap over anything else. Nice comparisons, John. Thanks.

I am very surprised at how close the M1 is to the victor! So, is the M1 that good, or is the victor not-very good?

Like I said in the original M1 post that intake surprised the heck out of me as delivered out of the box. I didn’t pick up anything like I usually do on an intake but I believe it’s going to be a much smoother flowing intake throughout the rpm range. I know how good a Victor340 can be with some work and because of that placed my Super Victor on a shelf to gather dust. I do know the Super Victor sure didn’t impress me the first time on the flowbench.

Not to hi-jack John's thread here but just to show an amateur hack job, here's my Strip Dominator I did several years ago. It was a spur-of-the-moment idea, there was no plan behind it other than to gasket match the port openings. I never had it flowed so not sure if this did much of anything except create a bunch of aluminum dust. I only had short-shank burrs so I couldn't get far enough into the runner. Didn't really touch the plenum except for smoothing some casting flash on the entry. I liked doing this but after the third or fourth one it got really tedious.

Strip Dom is OK. The Victor has taller/straighter/longer runners if that means anything.
IMG_2324.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

Dumore Grinder FTW. John, you turned me on to these types of grinders years ago, they're awesome. I think you have a Foredom? I need a foot pedal for it. The motor in mine is shorted internally, every time I turn it on it flips the breaker. Not sure what I did to it. :BangHead:
IMG_2329.JPG

Sorry for the diversion, please carry on.

It would be interesting to see how much one of the old TM5 Tarantula “doorstops” would do before and after.

Not to hi-jack John's thread here but just to show an amateur hack job, here's my Strip Dominator I did several years ago. It was a spur-of-the-moment idea, there was no plan behind it other than to gasket match the port openings. I never had it flowed so not sure if this did much of anything except create a bunch of aluminum dust. I only had short-shank burrs so I couldn't get far enough into the runner. Didn't really touch the plenum except for smoothing some casting flash on the entry. I liked doing this but after the third or fourth one it got really tedious.

Strip Dom is OK. The Victor has taller/straighter/longer runners if that means anything.
View attachment 1716054401

View attachment 1716054404

View attachment 1716054407

Dumore Grinder FTW. John, you turned me on to these types of grinders years ago, they're awesome. I think you have a Foredom? I need a foot pedal for it. The motor in mine is shorted internally, every time I turn it on it flips the breaker. Not sure what I did to it. :BangHead:
View attachment 1716054402

Sorry for the diversion, please carry on.

Yes I have the Foredom type of grinder. I bought a couple as spares and never used them yet but I have changed the brushes. The foot pedal is awesome.

So at what point do you make the call to go from the air gap to a single plane for a mostly street driven engine?

Lets say eddy heads/or eq heads that flow about 260 @.600 are on the hypothetical engine. 340 or 360 engine.
Years ago I ran a stock stroke 340, 11.4-1, Edelbrock's that flowed in the mid 290's, 236/242° @ .050" hydraulic and a Weiand X-cellerator. For that engine the Weiand was a good fit. An Air Gap would be better for something with less head, cam, compression and gear. If I was running 3.55 gears I'd run the Air Gap, with 3.91's a smaller single plane like the X-cellerator would be tempting.

If that’s the X-style Torker 340, it’s surprising to see it flowing that well after porting. Did you happen to see what the ports with the pinch for the bolt flowed?
John said “Old Style Torquer.” Not Torker II 340. That’s how I read/understand it.
[/URL]

the torker beat the strip dom 475@6300
made more torque then the airgap starting@4800
nice door stop
The “Torquer” tested was the “Torquer II 340” and not the older Torquer.

My next set of Speedmaster heads will be interesting. I haven’t done a full port job on a set of heads with a stock 2.02 valve in a long time. Being the throat is already at its max from the factory I will be limited to setting my own angles by hand instead of using my seat cutter. That would probably be a perfect fit for this ported RPM intake especially on the street.
Can’t wait for those babies! Should work well with my rpm air gap

Very old, ugly Torquer. Lol

Wow! With the pinch and everything!

[/URL]

the torker beat the strip dom 475@6300
made more torque then the airgap starting@4800
nice door stop

The Torker is a boat anchor. And a bad one at that.

I spent my early driving time taking junk like that off, adding a SD and watching the times get quicker.

A poorly run dyno test means little. Most every dyno accessible to us mere mortals doesn’t measure an engines ability to RPM. Transient response is critical in getting the car to accelerate faster. Very few dyno’s do that.

I was running a stock 340 that was probably 9.8:1 with a SD and 1.75 headers running 109.XX MPH in 1982.

And it was probably 2 MPH down because the clutch and my clutch tuning was horrible.

I updated that post mentioning one person in particular with a 340 that went faster with a single plane to an air gap. 11:1+ with 4.30s and a four speed in a Duster.
Cam size/specs/duration @050?
dont put much stock in magazine add's....DWB!
Sorry, but please prove this to me.
You’ve also stated that the fellas writing this are being paid to make a favorable report on behalf of whom they’re supposedly being paid by to make there stuff look good and/or to simply use there product.
Please prove this.

Edited for spelling/grammar

Last edited:
l got an edelbrock super victor efi with my efi system. That thing needed a ton of work right out of the box. The intake port opening @ the gasket was smaller than a 70’s smog engine head. Those intake manifolds are not ready to run outta the box if you are building for any power at all. I am sure the airgap RPM is no different.

thanks for all you hard work OP

And there will still be people not reading or understanding and realizing your reply, making the same mistake over and over because there right and you don’t know what your talking about even though you presented the facts on several fronts.

:BangHead: :poke: :wtf:

PBR has a Torker. The intake in the article is a Torker 2. Not at all similar.
almoxt exactly the same the torker2 has the turn in a different location the torker 2 was suppose to have better low speed torque the tm5 is probably the best of the 3
475 hp still beat the sd
The guys on this site buying them up run 11s with the torker340 door stop
tm5 torker340 torker2 same intake with updates
Door stop is having the 360 /380hp motor with gears etc running 14.4 like someone on here
not 11s and 12s
All these guys fully built to hilt 1 7/8 headers getting there clock cleaned by a 340 with manifolds and factory intake great door stops they are
Everything is a door stop see how easy that is
Everyone says well you cant trust magazines builds or happy dynos all here say that is just unproven bs
I watched a dyno test of intakes the M1 was down 35hp across the board to 3 or 4 other intakes must have been getting paid from Eldelbrock right? or they could not tune it easy to just say that to justify it just a bunch of bullpiss
from 4k up the torker makes great power 11s is no door stop bfd the sd is 1 mph faster
sd is a door stop if the factory intake runs 10s see how easy that is legend
3500 rpm stall speed ill take any single plane over a dual plane except the street dominator
m1 tm5 torker340 torker2 6500rpm and higher victor or super victor
Talking about lousy look at that victor 340 or super victor Pittsburghracer got new that pos should have been sent back shamefull i wonder if that intake would even run on a motor as delivered
which hp mopar heads crack w7s for a quite a price shamefull
they all had issues no? are they door stops?
carry on

-
Back